TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Tam, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Model S and X have rectangular lifting pads with 3 holes and they are located on the outer edge.

Model 3 Jack Points look different (triangular with 1 hole?) and they are not located anywhere near the outer edge but rather more inward.

Would anyone please take a picture because the drawing is too 2 dimensional.

[​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
  2. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

According to an early version of the Model 3 Owner's Manual, the jacking points on the Model 3 look completely different than those on the Model S.

Model3JackPoints.JPG

Can anyone provide a clear photo of what these points look like? It's hard to tell if they are lower than the body trim and battery surfaces. Does anyone know if special care (tooling) should be given to the use of these point like on the Model S? --> Check your jack points after service!

3. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

Annoying that they reduced it, the S and X are already small enough. Looks like they have a "special" jack access point for the car.

4. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I'll take a pic when I leave work if nobody beats me to it.

5. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Weird.... I wonder if they are going to sell a special jack adapter to fit that...

6. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

It's fairly common to find jacking points that are smaller than the soft Model S pads. The difference is that they are solid metal and protrude slightly below the rest of the chassis so when a jack is used it typically doesn't contact anything else other than the jacking point. I would much prefer the small hard points rather than the Model S point.

7. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

8. Keith023

Keith023 Member

Has there been a picture of these jack points yet?

9. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

Not yet on this thread. I'm hoping run-the-joules can still post some pics from his Model 3.

10. Drax

Drax Member

I’m really interested in this as well. I am planning on swapping between aftermarket 20’s for local driving and the stock 18’s for road trips, but it seems pretty clear that I won’t be able to use the mount I have for our Model S.

11. run-the-joules

Whhooooops, totally spaced it. Will do today for sure.

• Like x 2
  12. run-the-joules

2BFE513F-A657-44EE-83FC-49A04BEE618F.jpeg 9049818F-61AB-4970-BE3E-97F9DE31D02D.jpeg

• Informative x 8
    • Helpful x 4
    • Like x 1
  13. run-the-joules

Yeah kinda the same boat. Just buying another set of aeros with winter tires for my ski trips, so there'll be a lot of weekends where I'm doing the swap. Part of me is tempted to just go nuts and get a quickjack but that's so profoundly overkill that it's hard to justify over just buying a good floor jack and such.

• Like x 1
  14. SureValla

SureValla Member

• Like x 1
  15. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Looks a little tricky to use a standard jack or lift unless you have some sort of adapter. Hopefully someone will sell one for those of us swapping wheels at home.

• Like x 1
  16. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

Thanks for posting the pics run-the-joules!

That's not what I was hoping to see. I was hoping that it wouldn't be as flush w/ the underside of the battery. Initially, it doesn't seem to be standard floor jack and/or stand friendly since it could potentially put a load on the battery. On the positive side, it looks like making a custom pad block to index into the hole is more than doable when using a floor jack.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I will go one further and guess that Tesla designed it with a jack adapter in mind and that they already have them in-house as well as at their service centers.

The risk for owners is, as you said, damaging something using a regular jack on them.... and if you bring one of these M3s to a suspension/tire shop with a standard lift that doesn't know what they are doing... holy crap.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

What do the jack points look like in front and rear ?

19. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Exactly! I've heard that Tesla will only put approved tires on at their service centers. Is that true? I'll definitely be taking the wheels off the car myself to get tires mounted. Seems like the probability of severe underbody damage is high at a tire shop.

20. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

I've been looking a little closer at the images that run-the-joules posted and I'm realizing that it's more flush with body trim than the battery itself. It actually seems that there might be a half-inch (or more) difference in height. It might be possible to use a standard floor jack without a custom adapter on those points. It might contact the body trim but probably not the battery.