Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sequence of pictures would be great.

Tesla does not specify the rotation pattern in the manual but I believe front<-->back is fine for the Model 3. The model S suggests front<-->back as long as there is no difference in tire width from front to rear as on some performance versions.

Doing just one side at time might be simpler with less equipment.

Um....how else would you support a car with four jack stands?
Two pair of Jackpoint stands. Jack stands with Tesla Pads

Perhaps the pictures are deceiving me but it looks like the pucks are on top of a flat jack surface that could slide off. The jackpoint stand has a Tesla specific model with the centering pin. I plan on buying a pair. If I wanted the car up on four stands I'd buy two pairs. $300 for safe stands to put my $2,000 winter wheels and tires on my $63,000 car seems like a fair price.

Two pair of Jackpoint stands. Jack stands with Tesla Pads

Perhaps the pictures are deceiving me but it looks like the pucks are on top of a flat jack surface that could slide off. The jackpoint stand has a Tesla specific model with the centering pin. I plan on buying a pair. If I wanted the car up on four stands I'd buy two pairs. $300 for safe stands to put my $2,000 winter wheels and tires on my $63,000 car seems like a fair price.
Every time I look on that website it says out of stock on everything

Here is a better cheaper solution... should be compatible with other stands

Powerbuilt 620516 4000 lbs UJack Garage Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCRJRPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AcZMBb0HZ39CS

If one is worried about slipping off I would recommend a different method to lift your Model 3 or do some of the following three things: Bolt the hockey pucks to the jack stands allowing the head of the bolt to be a center pin for the lift point hole. For the All-in-One and/or open center jack stand use a bolt and nut through the center of the hockey puck to keep everything from sliding off. Drill a shallow hole and put a short bolt into the center of the hockey puck on the one for the rolling floor jack.

How I lowered my Model 3.
Raise both All-in-Ones and put the 2x8’s under the left rear tire
Lower the left rear All-in-One and remove it
Lower the right rear All-in-One
Lift the left rear with the floor jack and remove the 2x8’s and the front left jack stand
Lower the floor jack and remove it
Raise the right rear All-in-One and remove the right front jack stand
Raise the right front with the floor jack and remove the All-in-One
Lower floor jack and remove it
Post results on TMC (optional)

Sorry, no instructional pics. I think the only reason to do this is if you are planning major maintenance or modifications. If you feel you need pictures you may want to pay for an easier lifting method and for someone else to do the work. I think I will put my car on four jack stands maybe once a year at most so it will be a long time till I will be able to do a time lapse or take pictures.

I have been thinking that I should get a temporary spare to carry on road trips. Although I expect that to be more costly than your method, it seems easier. Just the floor jack, one Model 3 jack pad and the spare is all you would need to rotate your tires. It wouldn't be very fast, but then I'm never very fast on any car maintenance!

Reactions: BerTX and AltLogic
I have been thinking that I should get a temporary spare to carry on road trips. Although I expect that to be more costly than your method, it seems easier. Just the floor jack, one Model 3 jack pad and the spare is all you would need to rotate your tires. It wouldn't be very fast, but then I'm never very fast on any car maintenance!
If all you are doing is rotating tires then the above is an excellent idea. Putting the Model 3 on jack stands is more of a swap out springs and shocks or some other major work requirement in my opinion.

Reactions: ProphetM
With a floor jack and one stand you could just do one tire at a time correct?
Another great idea to rotate tires front to back. The whole side of the car can be lifted from either lift point. The rear lift point works better on a RWD car. Lift using floor jack at rear lift point, place jack stand at front lift point, rotate tires, remove jack stand then lower and remove floor jack. Always torque lug nuts per manufacturer specifications.

I did the four jack stand thing to do my annual opposite corner to opposite corner rotation.

• Informative
Reactions: laudbrian
Every time I look on that website it says out of stock on everything

I emailed them and here is the reply

Hi - we're shipping from a wait list that's about 5 weeks long. There's no charge to be added if you'd like and we'll notify you when stands are available.

Thanks - John

John A. Walton, Manager
JackPoint JackStands, LLC
630-430-8481
http://www.JackPointJackstands.com

Don't waste your money on $ 600 JackPoints (2 jacks) or the other supplier that wants $ 130 per wheel plus the Tesla adapter. Go to Harbor freight and buy there 1,250 lb. wheel lift (Lifts a 5,000 lb. car, at 89.99 less 20%) and then place an adapter (I use K-Motors but other will work I'm sure) and place a 8.5 in to 9 inch jack stand under the adapter (I have a tool shop and can make my own) or just stack 6 by 6's and add 2 by 4's under the adapter or else go to your local big box store and buy cheap shelving cut into 12 by 12 section. This brings all wheels off the floor ~ 1/2 inch for winter storage or tire rotation. I still think lifting from the trailing links is ok as I do in my other vehicles but don't want to buck Tesla's recommendation. If I just wanted to do a tire rotation would probably use the adapters plus 2 hydraulic lifts but want to take all weight off the tires for the winter and that option won't work. (I don't trust hydraulic lifts for 6 months)