Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Of course.. if you want the (old) model S one it costs less .. Tesla Model S Jack Pad Lift Point Adapter Pad Tool For Tire Service | eBay

thanks!

woodcy-DSCN3628.jpg

I'll pay $10 for the 3d printer template if available.

These look pretty simple to model -- if you know the measurements you want.

Here's a magnet retention style:
1IcqpbV.png

Here's an o-ring retention style:
Zsrn9FB.png

Need:
- 3 dimensions for the rectangular part
- diameter and height for the round part
- diameter and thickness for the magnet, or cs and id on the o-ring and height to centerline of o-ring

Last edited:
Most 3D printers will not make a solid part, they make a honeycomb or other pattern of ribs inside solid sections of the part. This is likely not strong enough to support a car. Now, if you wanted to make a 3D printed shell to put over a steel or aluminum plate, that would work. The "pin" portion could also be 3D printed because it's not supporting any real load, it's just locating the pad on the car.

I purchased the Reverse Logic jack pad for our 3. It looks very high quality and is machined from solid Delrin bar stock. I haven't tried it yet though.

• Disagree
Reactions: 0ptions
Most 3D printers will not make a solid part, they make a honeycomb or other pattern of ribs inside solid sections of the part. This is likely not strong enough to support a car. Now, if you wanted to make a 3D printed shell to put over a steel or aluminum plate, that would work. The "pin" portion could also be 3D printed because it's not supporting any real load, it's just locating the pad on the car.

Just depends how you set the fill settings when preparing the model for printing. The product linked above on EBay is clearly FDM-printed.

This image (stolen from this article) shows infill settings of 20%, 50% and 75% in FDM printing:
rnVU56E.png

I purchased the Reverse Logic jack pad for our 3. It looks very high quality and is machined from solid Delrin bar stock. I haven't tried it yet though.
The current version of this product is definitely made on a filament fed 3D printer. Just look at the lines.

I have a 3D SLA printer which is tremendously more accurate and can print stronger repeatable designs.

I'll post some of my creations when I get my Model 3.

I'd really like to know WTF Tesla couldn't make all three cars the same. It's like they were made by three companies. Or one was a bad (you know what I mean) copy. How could the X's jack points not be the same as the S's. Then the 3's are totally different.

What if you own all three cars... you need three sets of these? Man....

I have a set of these for my X, and the vendor (Murphy's) worked with me to get the magnets to work, properly in a second revision and I love them. Great way to get people that aren't experienced with lifting the cars to not make a mistake. Experienced people could use hockey pucks, but these are easier. (No relation except satisfied customer!).

Reactions: Murphy’s Law

3d printers can print solid but if you know what your doing you don’t need to print 100% solid.
Shells, top and bottom thickness, infill angle, infill design, speed, extruder temperature, extrusion rate amplification all these variables can help make the print extremely strong.
So yes 3d printers can make parts extremely strong and exceede the pressure requirements to take the weight.
3d printers are used in aerospace and the automotive industry and have been for years.

As long as you have the type of floor jack with a rubber pad inside the saddle that is intended to make contact with the car, there's no need for anything between the saddle and the jacking points. I've changed wheels a few times and realized that a block of wood or special pad wasn't needed. It just added extra complexity to the task. The jacking points protrude low enough that they work well with the proper floor jack.

• Helpful
Reactions: int32_t
So I figured out a way to put my Model 3 on 4 jack stands. This made tire rotation easy and I know there are easier ways to do this but they cost much more. I only had to spend $70 plus tax for the two All-in-One jack stands since I already had everything else.

Tools:

1 Rolling floor jack

2 Jack stands (shorter is better)

2 All-in-One jack stands (3 ton)

1 2x8 cut in half (2-4’ sections)

5 hockey pucks

The floor jack must fit under the lift points with a hockey puck and then must lift to 14” high to the top of the hockey puck.

A great alternative would be to use 4 All-in-One jack stands to raise the Model 3 up much higher. I am sure the 2 ton version works too but the 3 ton were half the price.

1 Jack up the right front with floor jack

2 Place All-in-One jack at right rear lift point

3 Lower and remove floor jack

4 Raise the All-in-One high enough and place jack stand under right front lift point then lower the All-in-One to its lowest level

5 Jack up the left rear with rolling floor jack and place front jack stand at front left lift point and 2 layers of 2x8’s under left rear tire

6 Lower and remove the floor jack

7 Raise the right rear All-in-One till the other All-in-One fits under the left rear lift point

8 Raise the left rear All-in-One till you can remove the 2x8’s

9 Adjust the heights of the All-in-Ones as desired keeping them as close to the same height as possible