Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just following up. I talked to Ken from Liftbars and he said the tesla ones are longer than what he has packaging for and does not want to start a new product line. If anyone is interested he told me that 2" .188 bar should be fine for our application.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I received my Rennstands a few days ago & used them a couple of times so far. Noticed that after using them twice, my jack points are dented into the shape of the adapters - is anyone else's experience the same?

pDA14XS.jpg

I don't think this is a big deal - I believe the battery case is aluminum, so there's no concern about corrosion. I've also *heard* that aluminum gets stronger as its dented... don't know about this one. But I'm trying to understand if my experience is unique or if I'm doing something wrong. I don't think I am.

In this video, it appears that his are also dented @ 5:18:

I don't think this is a big deal - I believe the battery case is aluminum, so there's no concern about corrosion. I've also *heard* that aluminum gets stronger as its dented... don't know about this one. But I'm trying to understand if my experience is unique or if I'm doing something wrong. I don't think I am.

I have used the safejack with the same adapter as the one in the video from i1Tesla. I've had half the weight of the car on one jackstand for 24 hrs while i was installing lowering springs (got stuck because i didn't have a specific tool). I do not see any deformation on the jack points. I take my time to make sure the cylinder part correctly goes into the hole before jacking up. If it does not go into the hole fully it will snap into it at a certain point and possibly cause a dent.

I went with the RennStand by Safe Jack.

Bought a pair myself from Teslarati. They work great.
Since my thread was pointlessly merged into this one, nobody will see my specific question, so I'm quoting you guys directly... any similar experiences?

I have used the safejack with the same adapter as the one in the video from i1Tesla. I've had half the weight of the car on one jackstand for 24 hrs while i was installing lowering springs (got stuck because i didn't have a specific tool). I do not see any deformation on the jack points. I take my time to make sure the cylinder part correctly goes into the hole before jacking up. If it does not go into the hole fully it will snap into it at a certain point and possibly cause a dent.
That's an important thing to look out for, but a non-issue in my case. I found another video where the jack points are dented - see @ 3:13, it looks like the square has imprinted a bit into the jack point:

I think partly what may be going on is that 1) the legs slip a little bit as they "expand" on my epoxy garage floor. This is even AFTER I make an effort to "push out" the legs 2) I may be the only one who's already raised it to maximum height? That inevitably requires a higher "angle of attack" - may be best to do in 2 stages, should you want to raise the car as high as possible.

Since my thread was pointlessly merged into this one, nobody will see my specific question, so I'm quoting you guys directly... any similar experiences?

That's an important thing to look out for, but a non-issue in my case. I found another video where the jack points are dented - see @ 3:13, it looks like the square has imprinted a bit into the jack point:

I think partly what may be going on is that 1) the legs slip a little bit as they "expand" on my epoxy garage floor. This is even AFTER I make an effort to "push out" the legs 2) I may be the only one who's already raised it to maximum height? That inevitably requires a higher "angle of attack" - may be best to do in 2 stages, should you want to raise the car as high as possible.

I always go for the minimum height i can where i can get the legs under. I guess there will be quite a bit of twisting force on the jack point if the car is lifted to maximum height. At that point, the inside part of the jack pad will hold most of the weight in a smaller area. Regardless, the jack point should not be deforming.

Don’t think I would trust a scissor jack on a heavy car like a Tesla, and also not sure it would even fit with the locating support pucks most people use.

I agree, if the car is not perfectly level, it will shift and fall even on a BMW. It would be worse on the M3 because there is no pin to hold the jack in place. Also, this jack set cost more than the Harbor Freights 1.5 ton aluminum floor jack on sale a poster just listed. Even with one jack pod, it costs less than the unsafe BMW scissor jack. Every car, from Toyota to Mercedes scissor jack will shift with the slightest off axis pressure. To use it on a Tesla is absolutely not wise. I got the 2 ton version because the wheel is slightly wider and a full set of pucks.

Reactions: Kmartyn
My rear jack points are being damaged just by driving. They stick out a bit and the areas facing the front of the car are being eaten up, likely by dirt projections. Lots of sand on the roads in winter around here.

16A5F82C-2DDA-4861-9740-EE81901FEEFF.jpeg

I asked service how to stop this and they had nothing to say. I sprayed gravel guard but it wears off rapidly too, not very effective. Maybe I’m not applying it properly?

Reactions: Lindenwood
My rear jack points are being damaged just by driving. They stick out a bit and the areas facing the front of the car are being eaten up, likely by dirt projections. Lots of sand on the roads in winter around here.

View attachment 504122

I asked service how to stop this and they had nothing to say. I sprayed gravel guard but it wears off rapidly too, not very effective. Maybe I’m not applying it properly?

‘What do you drive over to scrape the jack points?