Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone using quick jacks with a lowered car? if so, how lowered and how much clearance do you have? Website says <3.5 inches and I'm worried my lowered car wouldn't have them work
I’m lowered about 1.5” on MPP coilovers and have no clearance issues using the short blocks on the 5000SLX. It’s close but not problematic in any way. It’s close enough to where it actually makes alignment easier.

Hey gang, are these jack pads a good buy? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YKK7LKH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LMJ2R55J79AB&psc=1. I like that they should stay in place, like when going for service. I wouldn't drive with them on, but you can install them right at the shop, and remove them before leaving the parking lot.

Have an unrelated question, but folks who have jacked up their car should know: Which suspension type do our cars have front and rear? I think rear is multi-link, but no idea in the front. Hopefully not struts. Thx.

It's already been mentioned, but I can understand not everyone wants to read the entire thread (especially after it was annoyingly merged): you don't need extra jack pads. Furthermore, if your car is lowered, it will be pretty much impossible to fit a jack under with an extra pad installed. For home use, just get a jack with a proper pad. I use this one to get things started, as my car is lowered. I can't fit my "regular" jack with Jackpoint adapter until I get things a bit up in the air.

As far as installing extra pads for service, you're likely to just annoy the techs.

Reactions: MODEL+
It's already been mentioned, but I can understand not everyone wants to read the entire thread (especially after it was annoyingly merged): you don't need extra jack pads. Furthermore, if your car is lowered, it will be pretty much impossible to fit a jack under with an extra pad installed. For home use, just get a jack with a proper pad. I use this one to get things started, as my car is lowered. I can't fit my "regular" jack with Jackpoint adapter until I get things a bit up in the air.

As far as installing extra pads for service, you're likely to just annoy the techs.

That jack doesn't look like it has the proper pad... have you destroyed the little circle cut outs where the jack pads normally go?

Just throwing these here... borrowed a set of QuickJack 5000SLX from a buddy. We used them both ways on 2 different cars and had no problems using the included lift blocks.

1E03D05B-52C6-4C29-9508-A9878D5AEBFF.jpeg
9BE4A2D6-21DC-4E6C-BC5E-AF596F0F3AEA.jpeg

So I'm planning to paint my calipers and need a way to have my car lifted, all wheels off, for a couple of days. Most common solution here cost 600+. It's a bit much for just painting calipers. Any suggestions on how to do this cheaper ?

Jack up the car, pull one wheel, use blocks under the lower suspension arm and repeat. A good source of blocks can be cutoffs from a local landscaping company, they often have short pieces of pressure treated 4x4, 6x6, 6x8 and 8x8 which would otherwise go to a landfill.

100% agree with this. I wasted money on these things at the beginning because everyone was making a big fuss about it.
If you think about what these "lift pads" are trying to accomplish, they're essentially just aligning the hole for you and reducing the amount of clearance for your jack. Invest in a low profile hypdraulic jack with a large rubber jack pad area, align it to the hole and you're golden.

Our car is lowered than most Model 3s and we jack it up and down more than most Model 3 owners for testing. We stopped using these lift pads months ago and we haven't experience any issues. As you can see, we just barely have enough clearance with our lower profile hydraulic jack, without the need to use wood blocks.

Image.jpeg

DAYTONA.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood