Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the transition to full LFP production for the SR+ will take some time to ramp up. It doesn't help that it's Tesla's most popular model and trim level. Existing inventory is going to be everyone's best bet for a while though for sure.
See knowing how Tesla works I’ve been wondering for some time if the “inventory” ones are not batteries coming from Shanghai but from Fremont. Kind of test out the waters in n america. It feels very Tesla esq for Elon to say every model 3sr produce after x date all had lfp. Surprise.

All 262mi listed sr+ should be lfp. I think unless you ordered custom before Sept or August, you likely are getting lfp. Most non demo inventory ones I've seen since August appear to be lfp.
My LFP still shows the max range of 253 miles at 100% though and I have the latest software. The existing inventory (which is where I got mine) says 253 miles of range. 262 is more than likely still NCA with a 1-mile discrepancy.

Reactions: voxel
My LFP still shows the max range of 253 miles at 100% though and I have the latest software. The existing inventory (which is where I got mine) says 253 miles of range. 262 is more than likely still NCA with a 1-mile discrepancy.
Sorry, I take back my statement.... I just looked at the Monroney for my NCA and it also says 262 range (141mpge, 149 city, 132 highway, 24kwh/100mi), and is exactly the same as my LFP. That's really strange, other recent custom delivery NCA have received the correct 263mi range Monroney - I've inquired with Tesla to confirm this.

I don't know how correct this is but Tesla just told me the 262mi range and the Monroney sticker showing the above #'s are AVERAGED between LFP and NCA with the LFP being the reason the number dropped from 263 to 262. Both NCA and LFP are shipping with 262 Monroney stickers.

If this is true, then this is new information. If you scan through the SR+ waiting room, you'll find the original NCA Monroney showing 263 and LFP Monroney showing 262 (in fact LFP cars weren't released until the Monroney was updated to show 262) even though the software still shows 253.

I don't know how correct this is but Tesla just told me the 262mi range and the Monroney sticker showing the above #'s are AVERAGED between LFP and NCA with the LFP being the reason the number dropped from 263 to 262. Both NCA and LFP are shipping with 262 Monroney stickers.

If this is true, then this is new information. If you scan through the SR+ waiting room, you'll find the original NCA Monroney showing 263 and LFP Monroney showing 262 (in fact LFP cars weren't released until the Monroney was updated to show 262) even though the software still shows 253.
That all makes sense. I think the rule is that if an option has a take rate greater than 10%, or something, you have to test it separately and it would have it's own Monroney sticker. (And it's own listing on the fueleconomy.gov site.)

We will probably see a change, with the lower mileage of 253, when they make the switch to all SRs being LFP.

That all makes sense. I think the rule is that if an option has a take rate greater than 10%, or something, you have to test it separately and it would have it's own Monroney sticker. (And it's own listing on the fueleconomy.gov site.)

We will probably see a change, with the lower mileage of 253, when they make the switch to all SRs being LFP.
There have been people in Europe who say their LFP range recently changed to 262 after an OTA update. I haven't heard of anyone in the U.S. who has an LFP pack receiving this new range rating, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla makes the same change for us to avoid having to pay for separate government testing.

Reactions: Baluchi
I heard the new announcement on LFP for the SR+, and it's got me curious about two things before I make a Model3 purchase in the next 6 months. I will have a 180 mile roundtrip commute for work, so I was thinking I'd definitely go with the Model3 Long Range since Virginia winters can be freezing (yes I do have a garage, but still). The LFP pack brings the SR+ EPA range up to 253 miles AND the ability to charge up to 100% without severe degradation.

1. Would 253 miles be enough for a 180 mile round trip commute even in winter time with freezing temps?
  2. What is the degradation difference between charging an SR+ w/ LFP to 100% 5 days a week versus charging an LR to 90% 5 days a week?

I heard the new announcement on LFP for the SR+, and it's got me curious about two things before I make a Model3 purchase in the next 6 months. I will have a 180 mile roundtrip commute for work, so I was thinking I'd definitely go with the Model3 Long Range since Virginia winters can be freezing (yes I do have a garage, but still). The LFP pack brings the SR+ EPA range up to 253 miles AND the ability to charge up to 100% without severe degradation.

1. Would 253 miles be enough for a 180 mile round trip commute even in winter time with freezing temps?
  2. What is the degradation difference between charging an SR+ w/ LFP to 100% 5 days a week versus charging an LR to 90% 5 days a week?

You need a LR, unless you are going to have charging at work. Its not just weather... its weather and driving speed (among other things like heater use, etc). For that commute you do not want a SR, especially if you are doing to do it "often".

Reactions: Empty tank
You need a LR, unless you are going to have charging at work. Its not just weather... its weather and driving speed (among other things like heater use, etc). For that commute you do not want a SR, especially if you are doing to do it "often".
I’m going to disagree with everyone here. I’m basing this on my years driving an older model S. My rated at max charge is 239 or 213 at 90% which is where I charge at on the daily. I can easily in the winter go 180 miles. Did I also mention that my S is a perf variant. Dual motor and way less efficient than the sr+ is.

I’d call your local showroom and ask for an overnight drive. It has free supercharging so you can ideally give it a go and worst case if it doesn’t work you can drop and super. If you turn sentry off at your work I’m confident you’d be fine. But try it.

Last week, a regular demo SR+ was listed in existing inventory and it has 262 miles of range. Another LFP car listed next to it on the same page has 253 miles of range.
My money is that LFPs are staying at 253 miles while NCAs are downgraded by 1 mile. Remember folks, the 1 mile reduction had been there for over a month even before Elon announced the plan to go full LFP in the future.

I found a M3SR+ on the inventory page early last week (LFP cars were being pushed out at the same time) but I have no clue if the battery is LFP or NCA from the VIN or specs or documents.

I am scheduled to take delivery on Friday but was planning to put my order on hold since I acquired a MLYR recently (also scored from inventory page). If it is an LFP... I'm very interested in taking delivery on it but there is no way to tell except to be in the car and to check the charging screen, right?

I found a M3SR+ on the inventory page early last week (LFP cars were being pushed out at the same time) but I have no clue if the battery is LFP or NCA from the VIN or specs or documents.

I am scheduled to take delivery on Friday but was planning to put my order on hold since I acquired a MLYR recently (also scored from inventory page). If it is an LFP... I'm very interested in taking delivery on it but there is no way to tell except to be in the car and to check the charging screen, right?
On the Discord server, it looks like there are still two different SR+ ranges showing up in inventory. Some are listed with 262 (presumably NCA) and some are listed with 253 (presumably LFP). In September I used the Discord to find a 253-rated car, bought it, and it's an LFP. If I were in your shoes, I don't think I'd order one without seeing that "253" on the Discord listing first. YMMV.

EDIT: Here's the Discord server if anyone still doesn't have it: Join the Tesla Alerts Discord Server!

On the Discord server, it looks like there are still two different SR+ ranges showing up in inventory. Some are listed with 262 (presumably NCA) and some are listed with 253 (presumably LFP). In September I used the Discord to find a 253-rated car, bought it, and it's an LFP. If I were in your shoes, I don't think I'd order one without seeing that "253" on the Discord listing first. YMMV.

EDIT: Here's the Discord server if anyone still doesn't have it: Join the Tesla Alerts Discord Server!

Here’s the annoying part. I snatched my car before the Discord server(s) detected it. There are gaps and missing cars not found in various Discord servers.