Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I know there alot questions about HW3. What I have read so far, SC rarely email or text you regarding HW3 retrofit. Unless I am wrong! Look like whenever you bring your car in for service, then they will say your car is eligible. I am not in hurry anything. Just wondering.

There was a lot of chatter about this in a FB group I am in, and people booked their cars in for tire rotations or fluid checks in the hope of getting HW3, but most of them didn't actually get it.

I'm HW3 eligible, have a late 2018 Model 3 with HW2.5. I do legitimately need to go for tire rotation in the next few months, and am also still awaiting my spoiler (I kid you not) so I might book in mid-Feb.

Minor point, but HW3 is now officially called the FSD Computer - some people get funny about it. :rolleyes:

• Helpful
Reactions: Tjhappel
Tesla will assign an FSD computer to your VIN when they determine it's your turn. If this happens, you can possibly speed up the process by scheduling your car for other service like a tire rotation. However, if Tesla has not assigned an FSD computer to your VIN you will not get an upgrade just because you bring the car in for other service.

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
Ok so I know there alot questions about HW3. What I have read so far, SC rarely email or text you regarding HW3 retrofit. Unless I am wrong! Look like whenever you bring your car in for service, then they will say your car is eligible. I am not in hurry anything. Just wondering.

A few months ago I tried scheduling an appointment for the retrofit just to see what would happen, and their official response was that they would notify me when it was my turn. So either they'll contact you when it's your turn or that was just a lie to get people to stop asking for it. No way to tell, really. I'll try again in a month or two, or when some better HW3-specific features than visualizations start rolling out.

A few months ago I tried scheduling an appointment for the retrofit just to see what would happen, and their official response was that they would notify me when it was my turn. So either they'll contact you when it's your turn or that was just a lie to get people to stop asking for it. No way to tell, really. I'll try again in a month or two, or when some better HW3-specific features than visualizations start rolling out.

They said the same thing about the decal and spoiler on early Model 3 Performance Vehicles. They did not contact me about either - I got the decal when I had to take the car in for a bulging tire and I've never been contacted about the spoiler (15 months later).

I agree with people who say your VIN gets added to a list for eligibility, but I don't believe they'll randomly call people. Squeaky wheels get the oil - a sad but universally true statement.

Reactions: Jaywlker
They said the same thing about the decal and spoiler on early Model 3 Performance Vehicles. They did not contact me about either - I got the decal when I had to take the car in for a bulging tire and I've never been contacted about the spoiler (15 months later).

I agree with people who say your VIN gets added to a list for eligibility, but I don't believe they'll randomly call people. Squeaky wheels get the oil - a sad but universally true statement.

What's sad here is everything I've seen suggest this isn't really lying or malice by Tesla- it's incompetence.

They have phone #, email, and mailing address for every owner.

It'd be trivial to automatically notify an owner when their VIN goes on the "available" list

But they lack the basic internal-IT competence to do it.

(same with the other items you mention or a slew of other service and delivery issues where every single thing that should and easily could be automated is instead done manually and only if you ask often enough to find the tiny % of folks who have any idea how to do it)

A couple months back they mentioned they're working on totally redoing their internal systems to not be utter crap, but no visible signs of progress so far.

What's sad here is everything I've seen suggest this isn't really lying or malice by Tesla- it's incompetence.

They have phone #, email, and mailing address for every owner.

It'd be trivial to automatically notify an owner when their VIN goes on the "available" list

But they lack the basic internal-IT competence to do it.

(same with the other items you mention or a slew of other service and delivery issues where every single thing that should and easily could be automated is instead done manually and only if you ask often enough to find the tiny % of folks who have any idea how to do it)

A couple months back they mentioned they're working on totally redoing their internal systems to not be utter crap, but no visible signs of progress so far.

Very unfortunately true. My Supercharging status says Pay Per Use, even though I have FUSC and have never been charged. I don't dare ask them to change it in case it breaks something else. :D

Absolutely agree. When my vehicle was first ready for pickup, I had some due bill items and was told they’d get me in the same week into the SC to address the issues. Almost two weeks went by without receiving a call or email so I had to call them. I may stop by next month at my local SC just for some recon and coffee;)

I’m a pretty low VIN, 72XX. So I have that going for me since it appears that they’re starting with lower VINs first. However at the moment this mainly seems to be the case on the West coast. Being an owner in NJ I’m not sure when to expect them to start the HW3 retrofits around here en masse. Also I purchased FSD after delivery and I don’t recall if the HW3 retrofits so far have been just for those that purchased FSD with the car or if any that bought it post delivery have received retrofits yet. Obviously I think it would be fair for those that purchased FSD as a delivery option to get upgraded first, but as many of us have seen Tesla doesn’t typically work logically like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic
My VIN is 94xx, delivered late March 2018, and I bought FSD much later, when it was on sale for $2k. I scheduled an appointment on the app for FSD computer upgrade, thinking it would be cancelled, and to my great surprise, I got a call about 5 days later, confirming that they had my computer ready for install. Now I am a little nervous, as I figure I must be one of the first M3s in Hawaii scheduled for upgrade, and there is probably a learning curve for SC’s, as they gain experience. Just wondering if anyone that’s gotten the upgrade has had any problems? New rattles? Damage to interior? Electrical issues?

Won’t stop me from going through with it... just curious.

Reactions: PoitNarf
My VIN is 94xx, delivered late March 2018, and I bought FSD much later, when it was on sale for $2k. I scheduled an appointment on the app for FSD computer upgrade, thinking it would be cancelled, and to my great surprise, I got a call about 5 days later, confirming that they had my computer ready for install. Now I am a little nervous, as I figure I must be one of the first M3s in Hawaii scheduled for upgrade, and there is probably a learning curve for SC’s, as they gain experience. Just wondering if anyone that’s gotten the upgrade has had any problems? New rattles? Damage to interior? Electrical issues?

Won’t stop me from going through with it... just curious.

They did mine a few days ago (they being the Hawaii SC) and I haven't had any problems. My settings were maintained and everything, although they warned me that there was a chance that everything got reset. It took roughly a day for them to finish.

They did mine a few days ago (they being the Hawaii SC) and I haven't had any problems. My settings were maintained and everything, although they warned me that there was a chance that everything got reset. It took roughly a day for them to finish.
Awesome! Did they give you a loaner for the day? And out of curiosity, did you schedule the appointment yourself, like me, or were you contacted?

Awesome! Did they give you a loaner for the day? And out of curiosity, did you schedule the appointment yourself, like me, or were you contacted?
Also, did they tell you they’ve been doing these for awhile, or if you were one of the first on island? I assume they’ve been doing the upgrades for models X and S, but yours is the first 3 that I’ve heard of.

Also, did they tell you they’ve been doing these for awhile, or if you were one of the first on island? I assume they’ve been doing the upgrades for models X and S, but yours is the first 3 that I’ve heard of.

So far I've only seen a report of one Model 3 getting upgraded and that was pretty much a full day's effort.
Tesla will have to get that down to an hour or so, otherwise their Service Centers will get swamped once they start upgrading in volume.

Tesla also have the thorny problem of upgrading AP2 to AP3 on older Model S&X.