Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well they did it... dropped it off at noon and picked it up a day later from Decatur GA SC with HW3 installed and cameras 80% calibrated (only took 5 minutes driving to finish calibration).

So far it appears to have completely eliminated the previous ping ponging during auto-pilot I have experienced since a few months ago. It drives much smoother and more confidently and seems to react much quicker to what the cars around me are doing. It is also really great to see the FSD visualizations progress which is very accurate in all that it identifies so far. In all it is a huge upgrade in terms of perceived stability and performance.

None of the non autopilot settings got messed with but I did have to enable again all the auto-pilot settings and reconnect bluetooth and wifi as others have mentioned. Additionally I am now getting stronger bluetooth, wifi and cellular signals.

One step closer to FSD!

Reactions: C141medic
So they denied my X for now, to get HW3, and they removed Ludicrous because they were verifying we had FSD. So i sent them the agreement of sale to prove we had FSD. We had Lud left on the car after we purchased (we didn’t pay the 20k), as they forgot to remove it, but after they postponed our appointment for another time, Lud was removed.

:(

I’m OK with it, but my wife..... oh boy. Holy dog house Batman.

So they denied my X for now, to get HW3, and they removed Ludicrous because they were verifying we had FSD. So i sent them the agreement of sale to prove we had FSD. We had Lud left on the car after we purchased (we didn’t pay the 20k), as they forgot to remove it, but after they postponed our appointment for another time, Lud was removed.

Dont want to get too far off topic but man that's rough. I'm surprised they didn't just let you keep Ludicrous mode since it doesn't cost them anything and they aren't forgoing that much revenue (assuming they dont make this mistake too frequently, but maybe they do)

Well they did it... dropped it off at noon and picked it up a day later from Decatur GA SC with HW3 installed and cameras 80% calibrated (only took 5 minutes driving to finish calibration).

Nice and quick! Centinela just told me that i'm "on track for end of Saturday" after dropping off Thursday AM. Really wish i knew i was going to be without a car for the weekend as the uber credits really aren't the same for weekend fun.

Didn’t notice this until today because the passenger seat was set all the way back, blocking the view of the rear seat. Wife got in and moved the passenger seat forward and that’s when I realized my rear seat was popped up. I believe they have to disconnect the main battery when doing the HW3 retrofit so I guess they just forgot to put the seat back in the correct position. Luckily it was pretty easy to figure out how to get the seat installed correctly. I had wondered why I was hearing more noise from the car when accelerating since getting it back, so this definitely explains that!

F1C69E23-69DC-4EB8-8E52-6EF551E12374.jpeg

A5537EDA-E016-48A5-BF13-2BA1CF935642.jpeg

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and fseir
Just picked mine up from Centinela and again i am very unimpressed with their service (they previously got coolant in my battery pack and had to replace it). They took 3 days to do the swap and i lost ALL settings, was like getting a totally new car.

someone on reddit thought the lifetime trip computer would be reset for some reason, that did not happen.

I just lost mine :(

Last edited:
Finally I got scheduled for HW3 retrofit on next Thursday, 2/27/2020, at Watertown MA Service Center. My VIN is 15xxx and has FSD option when I got my car in April 2018. Hopefully HW3 retrofit start speeding up in MA.

LR AWD VIN # 068XXX picked up Aug 2018. HW3 upgrade was scheduled via the app for Thursday 02/20 at 12:30 and they said it was available for me. I dropped it off but was told 5 of 6 techs are "in training" so it would take longer than expected because they had 3 or 4 cars to do first they would call me the next day so they gave me a Model S as a loaner. I did get a text late Friday around 5:00 saying they did not complete and would need to keep over the weekend. Waiting to see what happens on Monday.

After driving the Model S 85 (2014) I am very happy I picked the Model 3. Visuals are so much better on the landscape screen than the larger vertical one. No animation of car to help with lane changes, no NOA or entertainment like Netflix, You Tube only games.

If you don’t see what’s wrong with clogging the system and Tesla wasting time cancelling people’s appointments, and sending them emails explaining the process then I don’t know what to tell you. People on here have already confirmed Tesla contacting them. What’s funnier is after wasting Teslas time you go complain that they never call you.

Should I wait a little more about the call they promised 16 moths ago about a chipped paint at the deliver?

• Funny
Reactions: gdepau
they also topped off the air in my tires durin the hw3 upgrade and guessing did the full basic once over inspection and adjustments... only thing is every time they fill the air in my tires they fill them to 45psi instead of the 42psi I have been religious about ever since getting the car for better comfort. The door says 42psi so it confuses me what's right, should I keep them at the 45 they always fill them too or back them down to the door panel 42psi that feel like a softer ride?

they also topped off the air in my tires durin the hw3 upgrade and guessing did the full basic once over inspection and adjustments... only thing is every time they fill the air in my tires they fill them to 45psi instead of the 42psi I have been religious about ever since getting the car for better comfort. The door says 42psi so it confuses me what's right, should I keep them at the 45 they always fill them too or back them down to the door panel 42psi that feel like a softer ride?
My door says sill says 45psi

Dropped mine off at Tyson's VA yesterday morning. Originally was told it wouldn't be ready until after 5pm today. They gave me Uber credits. Around 2pm yesterday got a text saying it was in a bay being worked on. About 3pm got a notice in the app that a software update was complete. At 4pm got a text telling me it was ready. So the actual work took like 2 hours. Picked it up this morning. Most of my settings were gone. Most annoying is using the sound system's EQ settings. (Tip: snap a picture of those ahead of time.)

The traffic cone and traffic light visualizations are cool. The backup camera looks noticeably more hi res. Autopilot finished recalibrating after about 5-10 miles.

They are really streamlining the service center personnel. I did not interact with anyone in person when dropping off or picking up my car. Pulled in, left the key in it, checked in at the kiosk, received my Uber credits, and left. When they texted me that the car was ready, they said it's parked in the side lot, just get in and go. I think this is a good approach. You can talk to service if you want to, but for many visits there's absolutely no reason to.
I dropped off my Model 3 AWD at Tysons VA on Wed (March 19th) at 9:00 AM. I still do not have my car back. I left many voicemails on their service line(never been able to talk to a live person) and texted them asking for update on my car. They called me back 2 times(once on Thursday and once on Saturday) and provided/extended Uber credits. They have never been able to provide a clear answer on when my car will be ready. They just keep saying that there are many cars that came in and my car is next. At this time I am not sure when i will get my car back.

I dropped off my Model 3 AWD at Tysons VA on Wed (March 19th) at 9:00 AM. I still do not have my car back. I left many voicemails on their service line(never been able to talk to a live person) and texted them asking for update on my car. They called me back 2 times(once on Thursday and once on Saturday) and provided/extended Uber credits. They have never been able to provide a clear answer on when my car will be ready. They just keep saying that there are many cars that came in and my car is next. At this time I am not sure when i will get my car back.

That's craziness !!

Reactions: hcdavis3
After reading these posts and seeing mk6tes' post above, decided to go ahead and schedule mine for the upgrade. Currently scheduled for Friday of next week, also at Watertown. We will see what happens. See sig for specs. Bought FSD during the clearance sale last year.

Reactions: mk6tes
I just dropped mine off for first appointment this morning. They told me its going to take 2 full days, to no expect my car until 5pm tomorrow.
Was told loaners are prioritized for vehicle failures, so I was only able to get Uber credits.

Less than desirable experience with my retrofit so far. Maybe my SC just sucks?

I drop car off and request loaner. Was told they don't have any so they offer me Uber credits. Sure, that's not optimal but that fine by me.

I Uber back to work, and go on with my day. Periodically checking Teslafi and the Tesla app, it doesn't look like they've even began working on the car. I know SC's get overloaded easily, so I don't care much... yet. (I know they haven't been working on it because the internal temperature was fluctuating between 95 and 105 degrees, which is normal for a sunny day around this time here).

My day at work wraps up at around 5, I go to call my Uber to get home just a few minutes after 5- 'Credits Expired 02/24/2020 05:00PM'. I think to myself that this is surely an oversight and call to get it corrected.

I call my SC, and was initially told 'those credits were just to take you from the SC'. I tell them nobody told me that, and that online it seems pretty standard that people are getting either loaner vehicles or Uber credits for the duration of repair (mind you I have other warranty work they are doing, this isn't just a HW3 retrofit).

I also explain that if this is the case, then I am unnerved by the fact they haven't even touched my vehicle today.

His tone changed a bit, and he was simultaneously apologetic but also denying they haven't begun work, stating that the app will 'just report the last known internal temperature' (note how I said I watched it slightly fluctuate throughout the day, it was most certainly not reporting just the last known temp). I didn't want to get into it further, so I didn't even call him on it.

After all of this he said they would extend me more Uber credits that would expire tomorrow (the day the install is supposed to be completed)

IMMEDIATELY after our phone call my Tesla app changed from the normal UI with all of the controls saying 'In Service, Estimated Completion XX:XX' at the top to a different UI that has no controls and only a Caution symbol ⚠.

Teslafi also changed to reporting at this same exact time 'Mobile Access Disabled'.

All in all, not too thrilled with this process so far. I wouldn't have cared if they didn't start to work on my vehicle today if transportation had been taken care of for me, but the fact that I had to fight for it and use the fact they weren't working on my vehicle as leverage is frustrating.