TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by T3M3T, Jan 9, 2020.

1. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Well, for the first time, I had an excellent experience at the Rocklin SC during my HW3 - FSD Computer upgrade. I think having a truly Customer Service orientated Service Advisor helped immensely. Ashley was awesome - kept me updated with the progress and made sure I was happy with the work.

The actual HW3 retrofit and computer updates only took 3 hours. My Apple watch and iPhone alerted me about 3 times that various updates were complete. Another hour of service was to check on B-Pillar condensation causing blocked camera issues. Dropped off the car at 8 am and was out of there about noonish. Finally seeing the orange cones and stop lights now.....

• Love x 1
  2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Picked mine up from Burbank today. 2 years and almost 2 months from purchase of my FSD package, I finally have my first benefit - the computer upgrade.

Burbank ended up holding my car through Monday after dropping it off Friday morning and then radio silence on Saturday. I don’t think they started it until this morning. I only ever got the one set of Uber credits that expired the first day I guess, never saw any more.

Most of my settings were kept, so that was nice. AP took 30 or so miles to calibrate. My backup camera is weirdly dark now, which is the only other change I noticed other than the new visuals. AP was pretty solid after the calibration period, only one minor phantom brake event.

3. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

Awesome Jason. You got lucky because on many cars like mine, the firmware update can take many hours. I arrived at 8:00 and left at 3:00 overall pretty pleased. I have an awesome service advisor who helped me after I left and had some questions. The only things I lost were iPhone connection BT and my favorites got stuck. I just deleted them and re added them. Do me a favor and check your glove box. There is a quarter inch gap between the top of the glove box and the silver trim piece above it. My SA said his car is the same. Thanks buddy and have a great day.

• Informative x 1
  4. yerEVan

yerEVan Member

Sitting in parking lot at Devon PA SC waiting for them to open. Supposed to get HW3 completed today and also replacing charging pins apparently. We shall see.

5. nicholb

nicholb Member

Got my S# 34,xxx done.

Dropped off at the Maplewood, MN service center Friday morning. They gave me a 2016 Model S 90D for a loaner. A bit after 4pm I got a text that some of the cars they had in took longer than expected and asked if it would be OK to keep mine over the weekend. That was fine with me. About 2pm Monday I got the app notice that a software update had completed. Just before 3pm they texted me that the car was done and included pickup instructions.

All settings were preserved except Bluetooth pairing and WiFi connection. The cameras were already done calibrating. I did have one phantom brake on the way home. First one in several month. Visualizations showed up right away (after turning on the feature). The backup camera is noticeably sharper. I did have some oddities while setting up the Bluetooth and WiFi. First the Bluetooth connection screen would not come up, just a black box with a progress spinner. I had to do a 2 button reboot and then it showed up and allowed me to set up my phone pairing. Then after entering my WiFi password the entire screen went black and was unresponsive. Two button press did nothing either. I got out and disconnected the charging plug and got back in. Just after getting back in the screen showed the booting sequence and all came back to normal. I wonder if it loaded some kind of navigational update right then?

6. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Just checked the gap between the top of the glove box and the bottom of the silver trim. The gap at the narrowest point, which is the left edge is almost 1/16 of an inch and widens to less than 1/8 of an inch going toward the steering wheel. It's definitely less than a quarter inch...

7. yerEVan

yerEVan Member

Ok. They finished it by 12pm. So 4 hours including replacing dead pins in charge port.
    Nothing was lost as far as settings that I can see and even Bluetooth remained.
    Never realized how many cones I drive by.

• Like x 1
  8. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

Thanks buddy.

9. desiGeek

desiGeek Member

I finally got my car back yesterday(Feb 24) at 2:15 PM. All settings ware restored except the bluetooth connection to phone.

10. yerEVan

yerEVan Member

One thing. They downgraded my firmware had 4.10 now have 4.1.

11. RB88

RB88 Member

I wish I could turn the cones off. Everything else is subtle and informative. Cones just orange everywhere, with a lot of false positives.

12. McFlurri

McFlurri Active Member

Haha yea.. everything orange, or reflective... or even a fire hydrant

13. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

you can. Settings - Autopilot - FSD Preview, set to off. Done!

14. groovyd

groovyd Member

wondering if they haven't just made the cone a catch-all classifier for anything it knows not to pilot into but just don't have corresponding 3d models for yet to display or high enough confidence in the classification to render uniquely.

15. yerEVan

yerEVan Member

Yeah. I was mistaken. Btooth for calls I had to pair again. But btooth car key remained.

16. RB88

RB88 Member

like I said in my post, I want the other stuff in the preview! The cones are just a distracting eyesore. I think it’d be fine (for me) if they were grayscale like all the other models.

• Like x 1
  17. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I'm also on 4.1 after my upgrade yesterday. In all honesty though, I can't remember what version my car had before the upgrade. What were the differences between 4.1 and 4.10 ? Thank You..

18. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Same release notes on both- so no documented difference (which usually means bug fixes)

19. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Thank You !!

20. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Frikin' ouch man....that's seriously a $h!tty move by Tesla- super painful to read!