Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome! Did they give you a loaner for the day? And out of curiosity, did you schedule the appointment yourself, like me, or were you contacted?

Also, did they tell you they’ve been doing these for awhile, or if you were one of the first on island? I assume they’ve been doing the upgrades for models X and S, but yours is the first 3 that I’ve heard of.

I was there getting some work done on our other car when I just thought I'd ask if they were doing the upgrades. I did get a loaner for the day, and I don't recall them ever saying I was the first, so I probably wasn't, haha...

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir
Ok I swung by my SC today to ask some advice about where to get my safety check, and also mentioned my missing spoiler dom 2018 . Anyway they said my FSD Computer is available and scheduled me in two weeks from now to have it done.

Anecdotal but it seems the “find an excuse to go in and see” approach can work.

Reactions: C141medic
Ok I swung by my SC today to ask some advice about where to get my safety check, and also mentioned my missing spoiler dom 2018 . Anyway they said my FSD Computer is available and scheduled me in two weeks from now to have it done.

Anecdotal but it seems the “find an excuse to go in and see” approach can work.

What region? Haven't seen this work in the Northeast yet.

On December 30th, 2019 I tried making an appointment with the Tesla app to get the HW3 retrofit (I'm driving a 2019 model 3, purchased in March of that year). A technician texted me shortly afterwards, this is verbatim:

This is Tesla Service reaching out regarding your upcoming service appointment for upgrading the autopilot computer in your Tesla. Unfortunately the new 3.0 FSD Hardware is currently unavailable. You will receive an email notification when your computer is ready to be replaced (approximately 2 to 3 months from now, maybe sooner) for the full self-driving upgrade. At this time we will need to cancel your appointment unless you have any additional concerns.
I did purchase the full self driving option when I bought the car. So I'll see if that 2 to 3 months is an accurate estimate.

I live in Colorado, FWIW.

Reactions: Pavlo_Y and cstork
My car is in SC right now, after couple hours for the hardware installation since it was their 1st Model 3 FSD upgrade, they spent long time during which I’ve got a notification that a software update installed, I’ve been told that the update failed, and after resetting the download of the 1st out of the 3 updates needed is very slow and hopefully will be ready in the morning.

After raising concern maybe the hardware is not good, they said that they checked and the problem was that the software didn’t communicate/ matched the software.

Had to leave my car and got Uber credit to get home.

Anyone has an experience that might help me feel better about getting the car back in the morning?

Dropped my Mar 2018 model 3 (VIN 94xx) off on 1/20, and picked it up on 1/21, with HW3.0. Some initial observations:
  • Except for recognizing my phone as a key, everything else was reset (car name, driver profiles, all settings, homelink, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc).
  • No noticeable damage, no new creaks or rattles (something I was worried about).
  • The maps had reset to the default non-satellite view, which actually looks really clean and minimalistic. I’d been using the satellite view for so long, I had forgotten what the regular map looked like during the daytime, and I think I prefer it!
  • Autopilot had to be recalibrated. While I could see cones right away, after turning the FSD visualization preview on, I had to wait until calibration was complete before I could see traffic lights, lane arrows, stop signs, trash cans, etc.
  • Traffic light color is really hard to see! It’s way too small and dim.
  • May be my imagination, but autosteer seems better at centering in the lane. Will take more testing to confirm.
  • Sentry mode is glitching out. I had 69 sentry events (maybe one of Elon’s Easter eggs?) at work today, and when I reviewed them, I could see my headlights flashing but nothing on camera to indicate a trigger. I’m going to reboot and see if this continues, and if it does, I may need to return to the SC.
  • While I was there, they installed my trunk garnish (no charge), and replaced the fabric lining on my A-pillar, which had poor fitment on early model 3s. Also did the service bulletin pin replacement on my charge port.
  • Overall good experience with the Honolulu SC this go around. No Tesla loaners available, but they gave me an enterprise rental for the day.

The manager at the local service center told me that they would contact me to schedule my HW3 upgrade in the next few weeks. He expected it to take about half a day. My car was delivered in September 2018 according to the records.

One thing i noticed right away is the backup camera looks a lot different... I dont know if the new settings for the backup cam or they actually changed it but i Can see license plates super clear. And it took 1 day to complete the upgrade.
Concur, during the day, the backup camera looks higher resolution. At night, however, it’s MUCH darker. I’m sure they’ll fix that eventually.

I continue to be impressed with autosteer’s lane keeping on HW 3.0. It seems noticeably better at staying centered than before the upgrade. Wasn’t expecting that.

Also, the traffic light dimness that I reported above, seems to be a night mode issue. During the day, the colored lights show up much better.

Reactions: Ctyler