Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, after getting my LR3D back from body shop (replaced bumper after slight impact with deer), I had a prompt that an update was needed the next morning. The notification on touchscreen said schedule service. So, in the app, I did that and also added request for FSD upgrade. By the time they responded via text, an OTA update resolved the notification on my screen. I expected them to cancel my HW3 upgrade, request. Instead, they confirmed for me. In some back and forth planning for transportation, the Lancaster PA SC is stating it will only take a couple of hours, and so alternate means of transportation should not be needed. My VIN ends >5500. I ordered FSD right before the Nov '19 price hike. The appt. is Monday 3/2/20. We'll see how long it really takes.

Wonder why the long delay. It's only a few hours work max

They told me that if a component needs a specific firmware update that they don't have they need to get it from Engineering. Sounds like a couple bottlenecks can happen: 1. Some components have a particular upgrade path (can't go from version 1.x --> 3 but instead needs to be 1.1 --> 1.5 --> 2 --> 3), and 2. Engineering can get slammed. But, i'm glad they were able to accept me as I had been making weekly requests for upgrade since early Jan.

Reactions: McFlurri
BTW I just had my September 2018 build P3D+ upgraded to HW 3.0 Thursday. Dropped car off in the morning, ready end of day. They do warn you that they sometimes need to do a full vehicle reset (lose all settings). Mine went fine. You do lose Bluetooth settings to your phones (but not the phone-as-key settings), and also lose WiFi passwords. Some Nav and Autopilot settings revert to defaults and need to be reselected. FWIW my camera calibration took maybe 10-15 minutes on the highway. All good.

My
BTW I just had my September 2018 build P3D+ upgraded to HW 3.0 Thursday. Dropped car off in the morning, ready end of day. They do warn you that they sometimes need to do a full vehicle reset (lose all settings). Mine went fine. You do lose Bluetooth settings to your phones (but not the phone-as-key settings), and also lose WiFi passwords. Some Nav and Autopilot settings revert to defaults and need to be reselected. FWIW my camera calibration took maybe 10-15 minutes on the highway. All good.
My entire vehicle was reset. Everything was back to default: Homelink erased, profiles erased, media favorites gone, walk-away lock disabled, etc. Not a big deal, just took 20 minutes to set everything back up.

Reactions: Pavlo_Y
I scheduled service for a handful of issues and they decided to do this HW3 swap during the appointment at the Toledo service center on 2/25/2020. Vin 23XXX
It took under 3 hours to get my car back with the new hardware. The tech said they can do it in about 2.5 hours now but they estimate it to the customer as 4-5 hours in case there are any hiccups.

Tried to get mine done and had a service appt for this morning. An hour before the appt they told me they didnt have a computer and the order didnt arrive over the weekend and pushed my appt out three weeks. To be continued....

I had issues with my wife's car so took it in today which they will also upgrade the car to HW3. Hope the lifetime data doesn't get erased.

2018 LR RWD Lifetime:

20200302_084418-01.jpeg

Just a note to check your glove box function after they finish your retrofit. I hardly ever use mine but the other day I read that they remove it for the install (makes sense). So this morning I decided to open it and it now just falls open and bounces at the bottom. I've made a mobile service appointment to have this fixed (10 days out). I wish I would have checked before leaving!

• Helpful
Reactions: Pavlo_Y and sperkin
A bit more info on the retrofit:

My appointment for tomorrow morning was confirmed by text and email this morning, but I called the SC anyway to confirm that the hardware parts needed are available for my vehicle.

As the person I spoke to confirmed that I'm all set, I also asked about turnaround time and after a chuckle, he volunteered a bit more information:
  • The hardware portion is usually done within an hour
  • Software SHOULD only take a couple of hours more, but on early Model 3s (the first hundred thousand or so, according to him) the software is not taking at all even after 3 attempts
  • For those that are not taking, they have to do a hard reset (this is probably why everything is lost for some customers)
  • The SF service center is doing about 8 per day

They told me that if a component needs a specific firmware update that they don't have they need to get it from Engineering. Sounds like a couple bottlenecks can happen: 1. Some components have a particular upgrade path (can't go from version 1.x --> 3 but instead needs to be 1.1 --> 1.5 --> 2 --> 3), and 2. Engineering can get slammed. But, i'm glad they were able to accept me as I had been making weekly requests for upgrade since early Jan.

Car was ready first thing this morning. Dropped it off on Saturday at 10am, and they don't work on Sunday. Not sure what they had to do today that they couldn't notify me late Saturday, but it was a nice surprise.

New visualizations look really cool.

I spoke too soon. My glovebox no longer works. I suspect the tech forgot to reconnect the cable that powers the actuator. I guess I'll be running over to the SC Monday morning first thing.
For what it's worth, to spare others some trouble, I've added an item to verify their glovebox works before they drive away, it's in my updated checklist. Thank you!

Reactions: VT_EE