Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The communications at the Alpharetta, Georgia SC is beyond terrible. You can leave a message on any one of their extensions and you will never get a call back. Ever! And they never respond to emails.

When I was in to get a part last week (which they also failed to let me know had come in), the service guy said that the best way to get a response from them for anything is to use the the schedule a service appointment on the app, select other, and then tell them what you want. THAT will get a response.

Great car, worst customer service on the planet!

Well.... As I mention earlier in this thread... I made a SC appointment for 1/29 to get new tires (fronts) / New wipers / address a ticking sound when the AC starts up / and a check of the range issue I have experienced since having the rear drive unit replaced...

I had also requested the retrofit to HW 3... I made this appointment about 14 days ago...

This morning, I got this from Tesla -

Good morning this is Tesla W.P.B, the part needed to address your concern will not arrive in time for your appointment. We will need to cancel your appointment and reschedule you once it comes in.

When I responded as to what part they were referring to and an estimate date to reschedule, I got no response...

So, I guess it could be anything..... But I wonder....

Sorry if this is off topic to the main thread, but you mention a ticking sounds with the AC. Is that on the left side of the driver side air vent by chance and does it go away in a couple of minutes?

The communications at the Alpharetta, Georgia SC is beyond terrible. You can leave a message on any one of their extensions and you will never get a call back. Ever! And they never respond to emails.

When I was in to get a part last week (which they also failed to let me know had come in), the service guy said that the best way to get a response from them for anything is to use the the schedule a service appointment on the app, select other, and then tell them what you want. THAT will get a response.

Great car, worst customer service on the planet!

I suspect Tesla has some kind of internal metric on how many tickets the service centers process/respond to, so they actually have an incentive to respond to those. Maybe it impacts somebody's bonus. Phone calls and emails are probably not tracked.

Unfortunately Tesla isn't the only business these days where the best way to get anything done is to go visit them in person. Nobody wants to pay staff just to answer phones.

I scheduled a service appointment for the 2 year regular maintenance on the brakes as mentioned in the owners manual. While it's there I'm going to inquire about the HW3 retrofit. My VIN is in the low 7000s so I'm guessing my car should be on the upgrade list.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
During the earnings call happening now there was a retail investor question about FSD feature complete progress and the HW3 retrofits. Unfortunately Elon did not address the HW3 retrofits part of the question. Maybe one of the institutional investor questions will touch on it.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
During the earnings call happening now there was a retail investor question about FSD feature complete progress and the HW3 retrofits. Unfortunately Elon did not address the HW3 retrofits part of the question. Maybe one of the institutional investor questions will touch on it.

He also made a point of adding, while saying he's thinking "a few months" for feature complete, that feature complete just means "a non zero chance of it working- not that it will work well"

So I continue to be in no hurry for my HW3 upgrade- I'll take a later revision after the SCs have a lot of experience with the swaps.

Sorry if this is off topic to the main thread, but you mention a ticking sounds with the AC. Is that on the left side of the driver side air vent by chance and does it go away in a couple of minutes?

No... Mine is somewhere around the air vent behind the screen...

It appears to be the same sound I got in my Acura which ended up being a plastic cog that was going bad. This cog was responsible for opening and closing the vent between "fresh air" and "recirculate".

He also made a point of adding, while saying he's thinking "a few months" for feature complete, that feature complete just means "a non zero chance of it working- not that it will work well"

So I continue to be in no hurry for my HW3 upgrade- I'll take a later revision after the SCs have a lot of experience with the swaps.

I have to agree here, I don’t need to see more visualizations at this point. I’ll wait it out until they have done it a thousand times and like you said, maybe issue a new revision.

Any one from Seattle Area got HW3 upgrade done?

I scheduled an appointment, but got a message from Tesla Service saying "Hardware 3 retrofits are being shipped to us in waves for specific customers in queue and yours is not currently available. Once we receive yours you will be contacted to schedule installation. Feel free contact us in coming months"

So, I asked him what is the criteria for being in queue. But response was generic saying " They are being shipped in waves for specific VINs and we receive them when we receive them. This is only first wave so many vehicles left to get to".

My M3 is from Early May 2018, and I saw many with much later Vins/build dates getting these HW3 upgrades. I am not sure if this is depending on Market area/location.

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT and cstork
I just stopped by my Tesla SC today to see if my M3 was on the list. Yay! It was. An appointment is scheduled in 2 weeks just to have the HW3 retrofit done. However, the service manager warned me that they are having trouble getting the software downloaded onto the new hardware. Although it takes only 45 min to install the hardware, he said it has sometimes taken a couple of days to get the software loaded. Engineering is working on the problem to make this go more smoothly, but just in case they don't have this figured out in 2 weeks, they have reserved a loaner for me.

I've cracked the secret to getting the upgrade before you get the call. If you have a Model 3 with a sub-150k VIN and you've paid for FSD, chances are good that there is an internal service bulletin on your car for the upgrade. That said, calling and asking for it, or booking a service appt and asking for it won't work. You'll get auto-rejected by a rep who won't even check your VIN. To have them check for the service bulletin, you need to book an in-shop service appointment (mobile appointments won't work) for something unrelated. Ex: battery range concerns + motor efficiency issues, tire rotation, etc. While booking it, in the text box, also ask that they take care of any outstanding service bulletin's on your VIN. No need to mention HW3. The tech confirming your booking will check your VIN, confirm it's got the internal bulletin (which I'm pretty sure any vehicle in the mid 100k's at least right now should have), and will go ahead and confirm you for the upgrade on the earliest date that they can secure you one of the FSD computers at the service location (or the earliest date they can ship them one for you). They're trying to knock these out while they work on other issues with cars coming in anyway as a way to minimize service visits. They are calling some people (super early VINs, & Model S+X's), but if you don't want to wait for the call, this is the trick to getting it. Just remember... asking directly or booking a mobile serviceable issue won't work as that team won't check your service bulletins.
\

This is false.... I literally requested my upgrade through the app and they got back to me and scheduled me in a few days.

On December 30th, 2019 I tried making an appointment with the Tesla app to get the HW3 retrofit (I'm driving a 2019 model 3, purchased in March of that year). A technician texted me shortly afterwards, this is verbatim:

This is Tesla Service reaching out regarding your upcoming service appointment for upgrading the autopilot computer in your Tesla. Unfortunately the new 3.0 FSD Hardware is currently unavailable. You will receive an email notification when your computer is ready to be replaced (approximately 2 to 3 months from now, maybe sooner) for the full self-driving upgrade. At this time we will need to cancel your appointment unless you have any additional concerns.
I did purchase the full self driving option when I bought the car. So I'll see if that 2 to 3 months is an accurate estimate.

I live in Colorado, FWIW.

I’m in Colorado too. The number of Tesla’s here and our lack of SCs despite the high number of vehicles makes me fear it will be a long time. The SCs here serve the tri state area or larger based on my convo last time I was there. To be fair the new Superior SC will help.