Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? How do you define "heavily discounted"?

Tesla is already including HW3 in all of their inventory vehicles. Elon's goal is to have a huge fleet of self-driving vehicles, he's going to want his cars that CAN have FSD hardware to get FSD Hardware. For those remaining vehicles that are out there without HW3, once FSD rolls out to a level of a subscription level it's a revenue generator that first quarter. If people already have the HW3 installed, then they can just sign-up and FSD... No need to make an appointment, flood the service centers etc.

If it's subscription based, it's a software toggle OTA. Just like many other pieces of technology, all the hardware is built in, you just have to buy the license to activate it.

We shall see. The % of cars that could FSD if only they had HW3 will keep shrinking as a % of the fleet until it is insignificant. Does it make sense for Tesla to retrofit them for a subscription use? I don’t know, but if I were them I’d only do it for customers who would sign up for say 24 months of FSD in advance.

My FSD upgrade was purchased 6/30/2020. A HW3.0 appt was requested using the app on 10/6/2020 for my HW2.5 2018 vehicle. It's now 2/3/2021 and the order is still "Pending" in Monterey, CA, with no other information. Am I an outlier? I don't see anyone still saying that they're continuing to wait 4 months or more.

My FSD upgrade was purchased 6/30/2020. A HW3.0 appt was requested using the app on 10/6/2020 for my HW2.5 2018 vehicle. It's now 2/3/2021 and the order is still "Pending" in Monterey, CA, with no other information. Am I an outlier? I don't see anyone still saying that they're continuing to wait 4 months or more.
There is no doubt in my mind you are an outlier. Shake things up. Suggestions:
Cancel the appointment and reschedule in the app.
Call a service advisor.
Drive to the nearest service center, walk in and explain.
Call roadside assistance and get a live person on the phone.

At this point, surely any backlog for HW3 upgrades has long passed.

We were in this boat last summer ‘waiting’ for hardware. The emails about the parts finally stopped. I, as mentioned above, just submitted another appointment and it was accepted and the upgrade was done by mobile the next week. Sometimes things get stuck.

Haven't seen this thread pop up in awhile.

I think you're an outlier, my first appointment was canceled because of lack of inventory. But I tried again a few weeks later and got installed without issue. I purchased FSD in 4/2020 and got installed the next month.

On a somewhat related note, I thought the date of manufacture was interesting. My car was made on 4/1/2019 and upgraded to FSD just over a year later. But my HW 3.0 box was made the same month my car was… How could inventory be this much of a concern if my computer was sitting on the shelf for a year?

IMG_0879.jpg

Haven't seen this thread pop up in awhile.

I think you're an outlier, my first appointment was canceled because of lack of inventory. But I tried again a few weeks later and got installed without issue. I purchased FSD in 4/2020 and got installed the next month.

On a somewhat related note, I thought the date of manufacture was interesting. My car was made on 4/1/2019 and upgraded to FSD just over a year later. But my HW 3.0 box was made the same month my car was… How could inventory be this much of a concern if my computer was sitting on the shelf for a year?

View attachment 634151
LIFO inventory?

Has it worked out in the last month?

Has it worked out in the last month?
Thanks for checking! I ended up making a new appointment on 3/5 (Fri) and a mobile appointment was confirmed for 3/8 (Mon) between 12-4pm. I have no idea what happened to the previous appointment that was delayed in perpetuity (for which I received weekly email updates).. that all stopped when I made the new appointment. The technician arrived at 2:45pm, and as done at 4:00. My new computer needed additional updates, and it's unclear to me whether the car was slow to receive them and if my 2.4ghz wifi was a problem (I have 130mbps down / 20mbps up, but outside the house it runs much slower. Meanwhile my 5ghz network works perfectly fine on my phone while using it in the drivers seat, the car is simply is unable to discover and use this network, so 2.4ghz it ran.. it took until 5:30pm to receive and install the final software update, until which, my car kept displaying "incompatible software, unable to charge, unable to drive" message. I lost all of my settings, from my seat profiles to bluetooth pairing. The technician said backups weren't working. I don't understand how this is a problem today considering I'm at the very ****ing end of a HW2.5 > 3.0 upgrade in the consumer cycle. I was absolutely dissapointed to re-enter all of my driver profile details, bluetooth pairings, and homelink remote.

Since the upgrade, my cameras have only calibrated to 61%. I still have real functional improvement. I expected to immediately see a lot more with HW3.0, but maybe it takes time. I added the beta features to see the new driving features, but so far, I'm unimpressed and am wondering why I paid well in advance for this upgrade which still doesn't deliver anything remotely useable.

When taking out the trash, it still takes me 4+ minutes standing in my cul-de-sac to "wake up" and "summon" my car to back out just 10ft, and I still have to reconnect and repeat the process several times. It only takes 30 seconds when I use my fob/cardkey to get in the car and back out of the driveway myself. I'm still disappointed with the summon / FSD capability in both HW 2.5 and 3.0, and am beginning to wonder why I invested in it. I should start new discussion how my car fails to react to drivers entering the road at CA southbound Hwy 101 @ Hwy 92, I still have to grab the wheel and yank it to disengage autopilot to prevent a collision with cars normally entering the highway. That's always fun for my passengers who are otherwise impressed by its ability to track the repainted and now uneven lanes on 101 betwen SFO and San Mateo.

Anyway, to conclude, the HW 3.0 happened uneventfully with a completely new service request! If anyone else is still stuck, just go to the app and make a new upgrade request.

Reactions: tshields
The only "new" functionality you would expect with HW3 today be:

A lot more things visually shown on the screen (lane arrows, recycling bins, etc...)

Stop sign and stop light functionality (it'll recognize, and stop at, both-- and this works pretty well.... while 2.5 won't do anything with them except sometimes beep if you're in the middle of blowing through one)

None of the already-exists-in-2.5 code like self parking or summon have been changed or improved at all for HW3 use yet.

Now, allegedly sometime in the next ~10 days, you'll get a button allowing you to download the city streets FSD code (note this will STILL be level 2, essentially it's the city streets equivalent of navigate on autopilot- it'll attempt to drive including handling turns and lane changes and whatnot but you still have to actively pay attention and be prepared to take over at any time)

(EDIT- there's also the speed limit recognition and reaction, I THINK that's also HW3 specific though not 100% sure)

Where do you see how much your cameras have calibrated?
It's in blue as a circle around the steering wheel icon, and also as a percentage number in the Autopilot settings menu under "Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)". Incidentally, this completed for me while driving today, but it looks like not all the features are available due to additional calibration being needed (which you can find under the "Customize Navigate on Autopilot" submenu).

Attachments

• 20210311_112552~4.jpg
    20210311_112552~4.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 56
Benefits: better visualizations of traffic and surroundings, support for updated/future functions

Drawbacks: possible loss of your profile settings (if the tech does not first save/backup or something unforeseen occurs); other than that I can think of no reason why you would decline the update, after all you already paid for it

I have a 2018 model 3 and did purchase FSD. I have been offered the HW3 upgrade but haven't actually had it done yet. Could anyone summarize the benefits (and drawbacks) of doing the upgrade at this time vs waiting?
By now there shouldn't be any drawbacks. The likelihood of you losing profile settings should be somewhere between slim and none.

Mobile tech came to my driveway and installed HW3 in 20 mins. Over a year ago.

To anyone else out there who paid for FSD: Schedule this asap while wait times are short. If v.9 (or even v.8.3) of FSD Beta is released into the wild soon and word gets around, the line for HW3 upgrades could become very long again.

Reactions: PhysicsGuy