Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting test of a 60kw lfp battery pack in -7c temps
188wh/km after 230km on 110-120km/h highway. Impressive

Interesting review and good results!

For anyone interested, I’ve now run down my Sept 2021 SR+ LFP to between 20-30% a few times before charging all the way back up (once by Super Charging and twice just Lv1 at home).

Long story short: the app’s estimate of total available range at 100% charge has oscillated between 243 miles and 251 miles, but pretty much always seems to finally settle at 248.

I’ve also been consciously driving to maximize range (at least when possible), but it really doesn’t seem like changing charging *or* driving habits has changed the 100% range.

Interesting review and good results!

For anyone interested, I’ve now run down my Sept 2021 SR+ LFP to between 20-30% a few times before charging all the way back up (once by Super Charging and twice just Lv1 at home).

Long story short: the app’s estimate of total available range at 100% charge has oscillated between 243 miles and 251 miles, but pretty much always seems to finally settle at 248.

I’ve also been consciously driving to maximize range (at least when possible), but it really doesn’t seem like changing charging *or* driving habits has changed the 100% range.
Thanks for following up with us on that. I've still been plugging/charging everyday to 100% and mine's still at 248 mi. I'll continue charging everyday since Tesla recommends plugging it in all the time

Reactions: JM3R
Looks like he drove 237.8km and used 80% battery. That calculates out to around 184 miles if he had driven to 0% charge. Compared to the EPA 267 range, that's a 31% reduction. The battery test data I've seen shows a very steep drop off after 0 C. It'd be interesting to see what would happen at a few degrees colder, say -10C.
The other thing to note is that he started out with a warm battery (just after charging), so I would expect a cold soaked battery like you might have after working all day and leaving the car outside, to be much worse.

188wh/km after 230km on 110-120km/h highway. Impressive

Interesting, roughly 288km of highway range, approximately 68% of its regular full range of 420km (or 75% of 400km). Hopefully that means the LFP back can still provide at least 250km of highway range even in extreme cold conditions (eg: -20C and below).

Reactions: amit_gunner
Looks like he drove 237.8km and used 80% battery. That calculates out to around 184 miles if he had driven to 0% charge. Compared to the EPA 267 range, that's a 31% reduction. The battery test data I've seen shows a very steep drop off after 0 C. It'd be interesting to see what would happen at a few degrees colder, say -10C.
The other thing to note is that he started out with a warm battery (just after charging), so I would expect a cold soaked battery like you might have after working all day and leaving the car outside, to be much worse.
Yeah, I'm starting to see that the secret to winter range in an LFP is to preheat it while plugged-in. If you have to start it from cold it probably would have 50% range loss at least.

Reactions: theothertom
Thanks for following up with us on that. I've still been plugging/charging everyday to 100% and mine's still at 248 mi. I'll continue charging everyday since Tesla recommends plugging it in all the time
That’s what I’m going to do as well. My average round trip each day is about 60-70 miles so if I plug in around 5pm even on my lowly Lvl 1 it’s at 100% the next morning. Works for me!

I’ve seen many posts about the 2021 LFPs *technically* having more range but the BMS simply not showing it. I would be surprised if that’s true and my understanding is these have 55kWh, whereas the 2022 versions are 60kWh (thus the slightly higher range). Honestly I wouldn’t trade my acceleration for a few extra miles so I’m a happy camper :)

I’ve seen many posts about the 2021 LFPs *technically* having more range but the BMS simply not showing it.
I've read that there's not much difference in cell voltage between a fully charged battery and a depleted one. This makes is hard for the BMW to determine how many kWh the battery has, so the range estimate could be "off". That's why it's recommended to charge to 100% frequently, so as to balance the cells as much as possible. At least that's my novice understanding.

Reactions: AAKEE