Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread - Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

Hi all,
What is a reasonable metric to look at to see if my new 2022 model 3 RWD LFP battery is within specs?
I have been checking the odometer miles vs the projected mileage for each trip and I found the range is too wide (odometer mileage/project mileage ratio of 0.5 - 0.8 )
I understand that your driving habits and weather do play a role in the efficiency.
In southern California, what should I be expecting, conservatively?

Should I be looking at only the avg kWh/mile number ?
What is the expected efficiency, 240-250 Wh/mi ?
My best avg so far is 250 Wh/mi ? Please post your numbers if possible.
Assuming 250 Wh/mi, then at full charge for a 60 kWh, the theorectical range is only 240 miles, is this correct way to look at it?

HELP please

Just picked up my 2021 model 3 SR+. It’s displaying a range of 231 miles, not 263. Is that normal? Will the range increase over time?
How's your 3 doing so far. I just got mine and I am wondering about the range over time too. Just wondering if you got the model 3 SR+ or model 3 RWD. I order in aug 2021 for SR+, however, when I took delivery in Dec, it is a 3 RWD. Let know.

Should I be looking at only the avg kWh/mile number ?
Yes

What is the expected efficiency, 240-250 Wh/mi ?
My best avg so far is 250 Wh/mi ? Please post your numbers if possible.
Depends on a lot of factors...temp, speed, tire pressure, sentry use, etc. My lifetime is 260. I get 270-280 at freeway speeds in warm weather.

Assuming 250 Wh/mi, then at full charge for a 60 kWh, the theorectical range is only 240 miles, is this correct way to look at it?
Yes, but your battery will degrade over time. Not nearly as fast as a NCA battery, but you will get some degradation, so that the initial 60kWh will drop to something less over time. Check out the Limiting Factor's YouTube video on LFP batteries for a graph (linked in post 339)

speaking of LFP efficiency and temp....today we got some nice weather and I saw a "noticeable" improvement in my Wh/mi :) LoL
PXL_20220115_220043030 - Copy.jpg

(hint: I was driving down a mountain)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC