Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, should I post photos here, or links to Instagram are ok?
You can put a link to instagram, its not prohibited, but you can upload some photos here too using the website tools in post creation (the toolbar when you create a post). If it were me, I would post the most interesting pictures here in your post, and then say "for more detailed pictures, you can see them on my instagram link, here (link).

Well I got good deal on this set, so under 10k including adapters and centers, normally it should be higher. For example to build a bit cheaper set based in Chevy CCM the cost would look like:
4*1500=6k+ on rotors
2*1800=3.6k+ on calipers/pads
+ Rotor centers+adapters+ labor cost (2k+)
+ MS EPB calipers (i bought used for 200usd/pair)
Kudos to you for doing this. That's a hell of a swap that I never thought I'd see on a tesla.

Eventually it will be lowered with camber.
Hubcentric is something I should look out for as well yea?
Myself and most of the guys I know are running some sort of Konig wheel that are not hub centric for our cars. As long as you properly tighten your lugnuts you should be fine. If you feel you need to be hub centric you can always use a hub ring, but I think its more trouble than its worth. They tend to get stuck easily.

Myself and most of the guys I know are running some sort of Konig wheel that are not hub centric for our cars. As long as you properly tighten your lugnuts you should be fine. If you feel you need to be hub centric you can always use a hub ring, but I think its more trouble than its worth. They tend to get stuck easily.
If you do run hub centering rings, make sure they aren't plastic or they will get ruined from the brake heat!

@TacoSteve how long do your Yokohama A052 275/40r18 last on the track?
How many miles of track time?
The A052 is probably one of the worst in terms of wear. I get 4 good days out it at most, and that's only doing 2-3 hotlaps per session in a 4 session day. It is definitely not the tire to chose if you are not already pushing the limits of the car. @Ren.OG what is your current track experience? Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Have to disagree with most of statements about a052. That is brilliant tyre. Actually it is almost slick which works perfectly on wet and dry, does not need warm up equipment. I can not beat a052 time on hankook medium, Michelin soft and medium compaunds.
It last longer than ANY slick, being on same territory by grip.
What kills a052?
- Overinflating, overheating, angles misalignment, driver's agression.
Learn how to use it the most effective way and you will love it.
My 1st set was burn for 1 stage of TimeAttack (less than 100 km). My second got 400km track only usage and still has 60-80% tread on it
Dare to say - it works untill you start to see the cord!

Would it be possible to create a sticky thread for track videos to keep them all in one spot without cluttering up the discussion board? I often like to refer back to videos I've seen posted but have trouble finding them.

Either way - here's a video of my latest track day running with NASA SoCal at Big Willow. They let me run HPDE4 on Saturday to show that I could handle open passing sessions and then licensed me for Time Trial on Sunday in their new class (TTEV). It was a great event with some well-built cars and solid drivers. This session was the end of day Saturday. I started with 77% charge and stayed out until my battery was glowing red. It is such a fun track.

LOVE THIS!!!!

I got the chance to race a Model S Plaid the other day. Here is a video for those of you that want to see how it compares to a Model 3 Performance. We did 3 passes but I got a little excited on the first one and dropped a couple F-bombs. So if you don't want to hear that skip to the 1 min mark of the video and watch the 2nd and 3rd passes.