Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of obsessed with Horse Thief Mile - a short little track set into the hillside at Willow Springs Raceway that is normally used for drift events. I love the elevation changes and the tight-twisty corners. Not great for a heavy car like the tesla, I boiled my Endless RF-650 fluid after just a few hard laps, but it is fun. Couple videos of the event. The first of some practice runs and the second is pretty much the whole of the track time through the event.

How was installing the 4 pt belt thing??

What have people been using for track mode settings during autocross? I'm thinking that given the low speed, brief nature of the sport that it would be best to have regen turned off, since brakes aren't going to overheat, and it will be tricky to modulate with regen during quick maneauvers. What have people found to be best? And what about front/rear power split? I used to autocross RWD cars seriously for years but coming up Dec 5 I'll do my first event in years and first one in a Tesla.

What have people been using for track mode settings during autocross? I'm thinking that given the low speed, brief nature of the sport that it would be best to have regen turned off, since brakes aren't going to overheat, and it will be tricky to modulate with regen during quick maneauvers. What have people found to be best? And what about front/rear power split? I used to autocross RWD cars seriously for years but coming up Dec 5 I'll do my first event in years and first one in a Tesla.
I have ended up at -5 on stability assist, 50% regen braking and 0 (right in the middle) on handling balance.

I found leaving stability more than -5 slows me down, and honestly it's fun to get a little over steer but still have a some help. Makes me feel like a hero...LOL.

Regen braking at 100% seemed like overkill and you really had to managed the skinny pedal or loose time. 0% regen braking is fine, and probably slightly faster, but for me personally I like the little bit of help. Regen slows the car slightly faster than my foot finding the brake and since I tend to late brake I found 50% sets the car weight forward faster than I can.

I played around with the rear/front bias and my seat of the pants analysis determined to just leave it in the middle.

Play around with the settings and see what matches your driving style the best. This process is FUN.

Reactions: Theadonnan
How my LR+ easily beat a Performance 3. Two out of three times...
About a month ago I went to Byron dragstrip in IL and raced a few cars, the most interesting being a Model 3 Performance. It turned out to be a good lesson in how much battery charge and temperature can affect performance. Under the same circumstances, a LR+ will beat a Perf 3 with 20% more battery charge, unless the Perf 3 has a higher battery temp. The last race was crazy close - as close as you can get and still have a winner!

AX 2021 1st & 3rd overall UP .jpeg
Unplugged Performance Model 3 takes 1st & 3rd place overall for the 2021 season in the ultra competitive CalClub CST class!!! Kyles last lap of season Mike's last lap of the season
I would like to thank my sponsor Unplugged Performance for enabling my car to take 1st (Kyle O'Rourke) & 3rd (Mike Parsons) overall for the 2021 season in the CST class in CalClub AX out of Fontana CA!!!
Bottom line, if you want to build a winning AX Tesla, UP can get you there! They don't just sell parts, they provide knowledge and unsurpassed racing support. Nobody understands the Tesla like UP! The car is simply amazing.
Contributors to the build: Ben Schaffer, Shirley Hirai (My loving wife Shirley is the best pit crew a husband could hope for), Eddy Castelan, Tom Berry, Kyle O'Rourke.
Randy Gonzalez gets special mention for hooking us up with anytime passes when tuning required it, that flexibility was priceless Randy.
Sam Mayorga Guy Ankeny
for all the laughs and countless insults.
A HUGE thanks to the incredible amount of driving coaching provided by Tom Berry, Kyle O'Rourke, James Yom, Marshal Grice (Marshall gives great advice if your ego can handle BRUTAL honesty) be warned.
Ben Schaffer Eddy Castelan what would the two way adjustable shocks do for me?

Attachments

• AX 2021 1st & 3rd on course.jpeg
    AX 2021 1st & 3rd on course.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 117
  • AX 2021 season 1st & 3rd Mike & Shirley.jpeg
    AX 2021 season 1st & 3rd Mike & Shirley.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 103
  • AX 2021 season overall 1st & 3rd.jpeg
    AX 2021 season overall 1st & 3rd.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 120
  • AX 2021 Season 1st & 3rd overall grid.jpeg
    AX 2021 Season 1st & 3rd overall grid.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 115
Reposting from instagram.

It's been a roller coaster ride participating in @turn8racing 2021 Time Attack Battle. After 4 class wins and 3 podium finishes, I am happy to say that I finished P1 in Track Class as well as Highest Point Accumulation across all 3 classes!
I want to take this opportunity to thank my team @thedriveway.us and @mountainpassperformance for the continuous support and friendship. Thank you for making it possible for me to compete and achieve my goals.
I also want to thank @turn8racing and all their staff as well as all the sponsors for running a fun filled track day and time attack series. I entered the TA battle not knowing what to expect but left with a sense of family and lots of friends.
A big shout out to @blakesgarage, he's an awesome driver and an even better youtuber. Our fierce battles are what keep on pushing me to improve my car and my driving. Looking forward to sharing the track with you in the future.
Last but not least, I want to thank various friends, vendors, and partners for their support and products in my quest for PBs

@trackwingllc - wing, custom pedestal, no drill wing mount.
@stradale_design - CF front splitter.
@carbotechbrakes - XP8 rear pads.
@tpmparts - Nexen Sur4G, Endless RF650.
@aspiraautodesign - AF10 forged track wheels load rated for Model 3.
@izetm3 - track buddy and track side chef.
@ntfsgtr, @ying9680 - video coach and guys yelling "go faster"

rooftop.jpgDec-10-2021-Turn8 Trackdays (Fri) [[fe976d6aff]] - Time Attack - Outside Grapevine - BW3_3190_...jpgDec-10-2021-Turn8 Trackdays (Fri) [[fe976d6aff]] - Time Attack - Outside Grapevine - BW3_3254_...jpgTYP_2903.jpgTYP_3106.jpgSonoma with Ongrid.jpgIMG_0723 cropped 3.jpgIMG_0751.jpgIMG_2299.jpgTurn8 Round 8 result.png

Went to Pacific Raceways and the Ridge Motorsports Park a few months ago — so much fun!

I've installed Unplugged Performance brake pads, stainless steel brake lines and brake fluid. Now trying to decide between Mountain Pass Performance Sports Coilovers vs Unplugged Performance Coilover Suspension Kit. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know :)

Reactions: tm1v2 and MoreAgain
Am I the only one that needs more than four runs to get up to speed on an autocross course?
It takes a while before you get to the point of consistently being able to put down fliers from run 1. As you approach that point though there can be a lot of frustration making a run and never matching it. But if you can drive aggressive enough, often times you'll under think a section and appropriately drive it but barely make it then fail to repeat it when your brain kicks in.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and MoreAgain
After nearly a year I finally beat my PB at Buttonwillow CW13. Its amazing how much better the car feels with the correct width of wheel. This was the first day running the new AF10's the @P3D-R has been working on and they did not disappoint. Next step is a rear wing and possibly the MPP Partybox. Next Goal is 54's.

Previous best: 1:57.964
New PB: 1:56.133

Mod List:

MPP Brake reservoir brace
UPP Front Upper Control Arms
MPP Rear Camber Arms
MPP Rear Toe Arms
MPP Rear Cyber Trailing Arms
MPP Rear Cyber Traction Arms
MPP Rear Spring Arm
MPP.R Rear Drive Unit Cooler
MPP.R Compression Rod Bearings
MPP Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bushing
MPP Sport Coilovers
MPP.R Super Sport Spring Kit
MPP Front and Rear Floating Brake Rotors
MPP Brake Lines
Scroth E90 QuickFit 4-Point Harness
ARP Wheel Studs
Aspira AF-10 18x10.5
Nexen Sur4g 275/40r18 Tire
UPP Competition Pads Front
Endless X99 Pads Rear
Endless Brake Fluid

When you get the partybox it's gonna be GAME ON!!!!! To think you're on drift compound Sur4G's too, lol. Partybox + A052!!!!!!

I attached a pic of your car alongside your trailer with that dope ass livery. hehe.

@MountainPass check out #team_umami

Attachments

• AF10 Tesla Corsa 20-5243.jpg
    AF10 Tesla Corsa 20-5243.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 123
  • AF10 Tesla Corsa 20-5246.jpg
    AF10 Tesla Corsa 20-5246.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Anomaly P3D-5108.jpg
    Anomaly P3D-5108.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Went to Pacific Raceways and the Ridge Motorsports Park a few months ago — so much fun!

I've installed Unplugged Performance brake pads, stainless steel brake lines and brake fluid. Now trying to decide between Mountain Pass Performance Sports Coilovers vs Unplugged Performance Coilover Suspension Kit. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know :)
How did you charge / manage charge at The Ridge? I've only been to Pacific Raceways, and the Auburn SC isn't far away.

I attended an autocross this past weekend as a prequel to taking the Model 3 to a road course, just to get a feel for the car, its grip and how it behaves when you misbehave. Overall I placed 7th out of 53 drivers, a mix of BMW, Corvette, Porsche, and others. My runs weren't even smooth, but I had a blast. Race Render is a neat piece of software to overlay the track mode data.