Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I have a question regarding setup on my M3P. My local track has 14 right handers and 9 left handers. Does it make sense to have more camber on the left tire than right tires? e.g. -3 on left and -2 on the right.

If it helps with discussion, the end speed at the end of turn 1 for M3P is about 120 mph.

Liphao Track layout.jpg

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
My second overall win - King of the Hill 🥳👑 Larison Rock
2/3 so far ...next up Mary Hill
IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

I'm #15 overall in 33 years. The top 100s time was a snowmobile powered 600 lb car!!!
IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG
pretty consistent but I never put everything together correctly 🙃 ...I said my goal was a 107-110 which was a wild goal I thought, so I'm pleased...
maybe I'll try it once more? I know I can do a 108-9 if I don't over push some stuff and just blaze through other parts w/ a deathwish! 106 w/ 315 A7 I think
IMG_4076.JPG
IMG_3576.JPG

this is the Subi that ran a 113 & took 2nd

Attachments

• IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4077.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 51
Our tracks and hill climbs are often a bit shorter than yours, but still a lot of fun, so I though you might like to see a couple of clips.

This is Brands Hatch in England. It's only a 1.2 mile track but perfect for the M3P to embarress some of the more track-focussed ICE cars. Here's a BMW M3 Clubsport which didn't want to let me past...

Shelsley Walsh is the oldest motorsport venue in the world still using its original course. It's been going since 1905 and I'm entering my M3P in their summer meeting at the end of July. This will be the one of the only competitive events this year in the UK that EVs can enter because the safety rules are just too tough for most venues and clubs. Here's me at a practise day a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the sticky thread!

Setup:
Mountainpass Performance AWD Sport Coilovers
MPP rear Toe, Camber, and Cyber arms, lower spring arm.
MPP front upper arm for camber adjustment
MPP solid Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
MPP Front Compression Rod Inserts
MPP.R Stoptech STR-60 BBK with Endless N05u pads.
Cobalt XR2 pads in rear with MPP two piece rotors
Endless RF650 fluid and
MPP stainless steel line
Konig Hypergram. 18x10.5 front and 18x11 rear
Volk Racing TE037 19x10.5 squared
Stradale Design front splitter
Maier Racing rear spoiler

Buttonwillow - 1:56.5
Tire - New Nexen Sur4g 275/40r18 TW200

Thunderhill West -1:22.5
Tire - 3 day old 305/35/19 Nankang AR1

Sonoma Raceway - 1:52.1
Tire - 4 day old Nexen Sur4g

IMG_8892.jpgIMG_9158.jpgIMG_2240.jpgIMG_04649.jpg

Great work, car is fast! How do the Nexen's compare to the Nankang's?
I think the Nankang AR1 is better for longer run time ( more than 20 mins) as they don't get greasy and do not have accelerated wear when you are pushing them pass the limit. However, they do seem to get heat cycled out before all the treads are gone and grip suffers. They also have narrower peak grip than the Nexen. On my car, I get a slight understeer bias.

Nexen Sur4g is the opposite, faster tread wear but don't get heat cycled out. Amazing sticker performance and then drops 0.5s and is consistent until treads are gone. Not endurance tire but I can easily run full 20 mins session with them and don't feel much fall off throughout the session (assuming temp is not blistering hot). It will tolerate more slip angle than AR1 and has broad peak grip range but will wear faster if you push it past optimal slip. On my car, this tire is very balanced front to rear.

I don't think I'll buy another set of AR1 since I get the same or better lap time out of Nexen while costing nearly half the price. AR1 is more geared toward longer runs and with our car, that's simply not possible.

Forgot to add that all parts were installed by The Driveway in San Jose. Car is corner balanced with me sitting in the drivers seat and experimented with many alignments to find the perfect balance between high speed stability and low speed rotation.
(no sway bars?)
...and, what alignment do you like?
I put my car on corner scales and have my alignment since adding suspension and lowering, car was pretty pretty well balanced as it was set.
I only really get to do Hill climbs and auto X so not really the same high speeds as tracks...tighter and bumpier with more turns