Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After nearly a year I finally beat my PB at Buttonwillow CW13. Its amazing how much better the car feels with the correct width of wheel. This was the first day running the new AF10's the @P3D-R has been working on and they did not disappoint. Next step is a rear wing and possibly the MPP Partybox. Next Goal is 54's.

Previous best: 1:57.964
New PB: 1:56.133

Mod List:

MPP Brake reservoir brace
UPP Front Upper Control Arms
MPP Rear Camber Arms
MPP Rear Toe Arms
MPP Rear Cyber Trailing Arms
MPP Rear Cyber Traction Arms
MPP Rear Spring Arm
MPP.R Rear Drive Unit Cooler
MPP.R Compression Rod Bearings
MPP Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bushing
MPP Sport Coilovers
MPP.R Super Sport Spring Kit
MPP Front and Rear Floating Brake Rotors
MPP Brake Lines
Scroth E90 QuickFit 4-Point Harness
ARP Wheel Studs
Aspira AF-10 18x10.5
Nexen Sur4g 275/40r18 Tire
UPP Competition Pads Front
Endless X99 Pads Rear
Endless Brake Fluid
Sorry, my above post was for @TacoSteve ! We’re 275/40R18 too “loose” on rims narrower than 10.5”?

Sorry, my above post was for @TacoSteve ! We’re 275/40R18 too “loose” on rims narrower than 10.5”?
Imo there are two things happening. One is with a narrower wheel the tread is pulled down slightly on the edges, which could be effecting the contact patch resulting in less grip. Two is since the tire is pinched and not stretched, the contact patch moves much more in relation to the wheel. This can give a false sense of loss of grip and just overall less feel of what the tire is really doing. This is just the opinion of a guy with less than 20 track days, so take it as such.

Reactions: Ren.OG
Cool event with Vintage Auto Racing Assn (VARA)
Top 3 times of the day: 2022 Rush SR @ 1:01.3, Gutted BMW on slicks @ 1:03.0 and me @ 1:04.0. We each won our class; Race, Hooligan and Electric.
Lots of cool cars out there. If you're interested in trying it out, VARA is holding 3 more of these events this year: VARA HILL CLIMB SERIES | vara-racing

Attachments

• kra.PNG
    kra.PNG
    493 KB · Views: 129
  • Rush SR.PNG
    Rush SR.PNG
    639.3 KB · Views: 62
  • BMW.PNG
    BMW.PNG
    797.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0383.jpg
    DSC_0383.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DatsunZ.PNG
    DatsunZ.PNG
    907.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Mustang.PNG
    Mustang.PNG
    660.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Lancia.PNG
    Lancia.PNG
    525 KB · Views: 56
  • Porsche.PNG
    Porsche.PNG
    947.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Cobra.PNG
    Cobra.PNG
    856.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: TacoSteve
Imo there are two things happening. One is with a narrower wheel the tread is pulled down slightly on the edges, which could be effecting the contact patch resulting in less grip. Two is since the tire is pinched and not stretched, the contact patch moves much more in relation to the wheel. This can give a false sense of loss of grip and just overall less feel of what the tire is really doing. This is just the opinion of a guy with less than 20 track days, so take it as such.
Thank you very much! I am looking at Enkei RPF1s in 18x9.5 for my recently-ordered M3P, and have been torn on width (between 255/45 and 275/40) for the reasons you describe.

Could be worse we can listen to guys who only run the canyons

• Funny
Reactions: TacoSteve and GAGT
Could be worse we can listen to guys who only run the canyons
Canyons / twisty roads can be super fun too, but they're very different from a racetrack. An ideal car setup for one definitely wouldn't be best for the other, not even close.

Edit: In case it's not obvious, I'm bothering to write this because I like both of those kinds of driving. :)

Last edited:
That's a really cool video. Unfortunately it's not actually useful for determining what wheel diameter / sidewall height you might prefer on a Model 3.

The description says the tires are "205/60R16 Bridgestone." 😄 No mention of the actual tire model or even the tire's category. And 4.8" of sidewall is more than anyone uses on a Model 3.

• Funny
Reactions: Ren.OG
Canyons / twisty roads can be super fun too, but they're very different from a racetrack. An ideal car setup for one definitely wouldn't be best for the other, not even close.

Edit: In case it's not obvious, I'm bothering to write this because I like both of those kinds of driving. :)
The difference between Canyon and track driving is only the difference in the size of your balls and stupidity level 😂

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
That's a really cool video. Unfortunately it's not actually useful for determining what wheel diameter / sidewall height you might prefer on a Model 3.

The description says the tires are "205/60R16 Bridgestone." 😄 No mention of the actual tire model or even the tire's category. And 4.8" of sidewall is more than anyone uses on a Model 3.
I actually have some good gopro video of 275 A052's on 18x9.5 konigs. Shows how much movement there is. I'll need to take another one with the new wheels.

The difference between Canyon and track driving is only the difference in the size of your balls and stupidity level 😂
Balls that big probably wouldn't fit in a Model 3! 😲

Most twisty low-traffic roads I get to frequent are way way tighter and rougher than any racetrack. Which makes them super fun too but in a different way. I think even if you didn't care a lick about normal streetability, the ideal car setup for these roads would be more rally car than track car. (Disclaimer: I have zero experience with actual rally driving. I'd love to someday though.)

I forgot to post this. I also managed to hit high 1:56 in my last run at buttonwillow cw13. I gained over a sec switching over from the 265 to the 275. The carbotech also helped as I am getting more comfortable with the brakes. Way too many mods to list as it will make my retirement account cry.