Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second time out on the track with my M3P (stealth) - second time at Buttonwillow, with the friendly Tesla Corsa group last weekend.
PB ~2:05ish (using built-in Tesla telemetry)

Mods
18x9.5 Apex wheels, 275 Hankook RS4
MPP BBK disks (stock non perf calipers), RB XT970 pads, Redwood SS lines, high temp fluid, brake brace
MPP front lower control arm bushing
Redwood sport Ohlins DFV coilover
Schroth seatbelt

Last edited:

I ran my lightly modified Model 3 Performance in the Novice Group at Atlanta Motorsports Park on 3/11. This was one of my afternoon session runs. Charging at the track is great. It's not a supercharger, but it's enough to top off the battery between run groups (10-12kw).
  • Pilot Sport 4s Tires 265/40/18
  • Martian Wheels MW-03 18x9.5 +25 offset
  • Unplugged Front Upper Camber/Caster Arms.
  • Street alignment (-1.5 camber, zero toe)
  • Unplugged / Performance Friction Street/Track Brake Pads
  • Unplugged Stainless Brake lines ATE 200 Brake Fluid
  • Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Non-Adjustable Coilovers

Recent 3rd Place finish from the Turn8 Time Attack round 1 at Buttonwillow. New PB of 1:55.7

Mod List:

MPP Brake reservoir brace
UPP Front Upper Control Arms
MPP Rear Camber Arms
MPP Rear Toe Arms
MPP Rear Cyber Trailing Arms
MPP Rear Cyber Traction Arms
MPP Rear Spring Arm
MPP.R Rear Drive Unit Cooler
MPP.R Compression Rod Bearings
MPP Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bushing
MPP Sport Coilovers
MPP.R Super Sport Spring Kit
MPP Front and Rear Floating Brake Rotors
MPP Brake Lines
MPP Partybox
Scroth E90 QuickFit 4-Point Harness
ARP Wheel Studs
Aspira AF-10 18x10.5
Nexen Sur4g 275/40r18 Tire
UPP Competition Pads Front/Rear
Endless Brake Fluid

Just a heads up Tesla now offers a track oriented brake pad for the performance brakes. No info past that currently:

Part number for fronts: 8008243-00-B
For Rears: 8008247-00-B
I think this has been available for sometime through the track package, did you happen to get prices for those part numbers? I haven't tested these personally but I'm pretty sure you'd be much better served with an aftermarket Pad by a reputable company (Endless, Carbotech, Cobalt, UPP-PFC, there's a few others) If you're someone that only tracks occasionally I think the Endless pads are hard to beat for dual purpose.

Reactions: Lindenwood
If you're someone that only tracks occasionally I think the Endless pads are hard to beat for dual purpose.
@TacoSteve Which Endless pads would you recommend for dual use?

Back when I had an STI, and tracked it occasionally, I came across many recommendations for Endless for dual use pads in that community too. I stupidly tried something easier to obtain and cheaper, and they were bad at both (street & track), so then I switched to Carbotech XP-something and they were awesome on the track. But totally inappropriate for street as expected, so I would swap them out winter and mid-summer (seasons where I didn't do track days).

@TacoSteve Which Endless pads would you recommend for dual use?

Back when I had an STI, and tracked it occasionally, I came across many recommendations for Endless for dual use pads in that community too. I stupidly tried something easier to obtain and cheaper, and they were bad at both (street & track), so then I switched to Carbotech XP-something and they were awesome on the track. But totally inappropriate for street as expected, so I would swap them out winter and mid-summer (seasons where I didn't do track days).
I've personally used the Endless X99 pads. I know others that have used the X90's also. the X99's I think are a little more heat resistant, both don't seem to dust much and are quiet on the street. I eventually outgrew the X99, they just couldn't hold up to the A052's on track, but that's asking a lot of a dual purpose pad. All depends on how much heat you are generating on track, there's a sweet spot for every pad material. I'm not sure I'd recommend running anything more aggressive than x99's on stock rotors.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I spent a day at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP) in SC doing an HPDE open track event. Was point to pass, but otherwise open (no run groups). I know there are several performance threads out there, but here's my take on going to a relatively isolated track.

I didn't want to drive 40+ miles each way to the closest supercharger during the event (would have been nearly three hours if I had to charge from 0-100% and return and then I'd still be down 40-50 miles). I ended up using my mobile charger in a 14-50 outlet and got about 30mi/hr range (32 amps). I think I put in about 170mi of range for entire event. I ended up getting 4 decent (15+minute) sessions. I probably could have gotten a fifth had I showed up an hour earlier. By the fourth session I was well under %50 SOC and it was pretty obvious the acceleration was way down.

I think to max out time on track I would now go out for first session and just tool around and practice braking points, turn in and carrying speed and just feather accelerator for the whole session. Get the tires scrubbed, learn track, etc. Then remaining sessions run light for the first 2 laps, give it 2-3 hard laps and then a cool down (maybe another lap or two), but just try for 2-3 HARD laps when you've got your rhythm down. I would also probably come in early if it was a 20 min session and get charging asap. I had to leave 70ish miles in the battery to safely make it back to SC and you arrive at track 50 miles range down, so the actual range/SOC window is something like 70-240 miles range window (only 130 miles to use). It is critical to get to track early (like at least and hour before everyone else) to try to top up as much as possible.

Participated in two great events over the last month: Gridlife Track Battle in March and Vintage Auto Racing Assn (VARA) Hill Climb in April.

These were my first events since installing the MPP Sports and the difference from the lowering springs is, obviously, night and day. I'm still trying to understand the impacts of the different adjustment settings and tried a few different things. So far I enjoy them the same way as my drinks, the stiffer the better.

Thanks to @MountainPass for the awesome products and services! It has taken me 3 years of tracking a Tesla to finally get onto coliovers. I remember watching an early MPP video of Sahsa testing and tuning in California and thinking, "These guys are crazy, tearing cars apart in a parking lot in the rain." Little did I know that years later I'd have a load of their parts on my car.

Gridlife was a two-day event. I entered Street Class which allows no aero, so I had to take off my front splitter. It also restricts AWD tire width to 255. I was unable to source A052s in that size before the event, so I ended up getting a set of 220TW Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3s in 255/40/19. While not at Yoko levels of performance, it is a solid, predictable tire.

Day 1 was Streets of Willow CCW. I'd never run SoW in either direction before, so I can't compare, but I sure did like CCW. It takes me longer than many to get used to a new track, so I'm looking forward to getting back out there, but I was happy to get into the 1:24s for a mid-pack place in Street Class (8th of 16).

Day 2 was Big Willow. I've driven this track a few times before with the Alfa club and with NASA. While I didn't get a PB at the event, I was able to take the last podium spot finishing 3rd out of 10 in Street Class.

The VARA event was also at Willow Springs, but at the Horse Thief Mile track that is primarily used for drift events. This was my 3rd Hill Climb event with VARA at that track. The first two were run CCW, but this one was CW, which is more well suited for the Tesla as the start line is on a straight vs. a curve. There were 38 drivers with a wide variety of new and vintage cars including a nice bright yellow Ferrari 355, a Lotus, a BMW 2002 a number of porches, miatas and mustangs. Ended up with the fastest time of the day, beating the nearest time by over 3 seconds. So much fun. They are running two more events this year out there - If you're in the area, come on out. It would be great to have a strong EV contingent. www.vararacing.com

20220327-DSC_2034.jpg
20220327-DSC_0532.jpg
Screenshot_20220328-152121_Instagram.jpg
DSC_6761.jpg
DSC_5912.jpg
DSC_6815.jpg
DSC_7200.jpg

Had a blast at the Gridlife event at NCM a couple weeks ago. Got third overall in Street class which I was happy with considering my lack of power compared to the ICE cars. Down 11mph on the shorter straights that NCM has really hurts my times.

Car did really well, but I need to figure out the high speed stability as can be seen in turns 5 and 16. The car has so much weight to throw around and with the UP luxury coilovers the transition is too soft and slow. Going to be making some changes to a different setup soon that I think will help with this. I would add some aero, but that is specifically not allowed in this class with Gridlife.

Hoping to maintain a podium place this year in the class with the Tesla. I already build and prep the car that has won the class for the last three years so another spot on the podium in class sounds pretty good to me.

Hi all.

I've just taken the 2021 Model 3 P on the Sepang F1 circuit in Asia, and experienced severe power cuts on track even when using track mode. Car is fully stock except for Unplugged Performance street and track upgraded brake pads. Using the China-only ZeroG 19" wheels with the stock T0 hankook ventus s1 evo3 (tesla specific). I thought the brakes would be the limiting factor but not at all, if you can see the telemetry (Racerender+Tesla track mode CSV) the power is cut to 240 and then to 180kw later in lap.

Is there any guide online as to the power degradation per battery and rear motor temperature?

Video below.

Hi all.

I've just taken the 2021 Model 3 P on the Sepang F1 circuit in Asia, and experienced severe power cuts on track even when using track mode. Car is fully stock except for Unplugged Performance street and track upgraded brake pads. Using the China-only ZeroG 19" wheels with the stock T0 hankook ventus s1 evo3 (tesla specific). I thought the brakes would be the limiting factor but not at all, if you can see the telemetry (Racerender+Tesla track mode CSV) the power is cut to 240 and then to 180kw later in lap.

Is there any guide online as to the power degradation per battery and rear motor temperature?

Video below.

Your video shows you are at 54% SOC, so that is a big reason for low power. The best thing you can do to maximize power is make sure the battery is at around 90F, and as fully charged as possible before starting your run. Also, looks like you are using pretty high regen settings. The higher you have regen the more heat you are pumping into the rear stator and battery. These video's from MPP should help:

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark and Dave EV
Hi all.

Video below.

This is the big constraint with tracking the Model 3 Performance (RWD's don't have this problem). You are allowed X amount of discharge over Y amount of time. There's no way around it. Plan to go do a couple hot laps and then lose power. This is the way.

Reactions: TacoSteve
Thank you @TacoSteve and @MasterC17 for the insights.

Just a clarification: "You are allowed X amount of discharge over Y amount of time" - do you mean that it's a hardcoded limit and not so dependent on rear motor and battery heat ? What if I am able to charge back to higher SOC between sessions? (just a hope, this facility is not yet available)

Thank you @TacoSteve and @MasterC17 for the insights.

Just a clarification: "You are allowed X amount of discharge over Y amount of time" - do you mean that it's a hardcoded limit and not so dependent on rear motor and battery heat ? What if I am able to charge back to higher SOC between sessions? (just a hope, this facility is not yet available)

Precisely. Unless ambient temperatures are 80f+ you will hit the current limit before any motor limit. The motor can overheat but it's still going to be primarily limited by the current limit. If you regularly track in hot temperatures the oil cooler can help but it won't be a big difference. The battery in effect cannot overheat. I've never even come close to it's actual limit.

I don't know exactly what the calculation is, but usually discharging ~26kWh over about 8 minutes will hit the limit pretty hard.

So, comically enough, running higher SOC actually makes this problem worse, because your discharge is higher.

It's also worth noting this has almost entirely been fixed on the Plaid. So, we just need to wait for a "Plaid Model 3" and tracking these cars should be pure bliss.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TacoSteve and tm1v2