Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a joy driving in my car but one terrible issue is starting to really bug me. Check out the condensation in my back tail light. I have been driving around like this for at least a month now. =(

We had a small bout of rain in LA, and after things cleared up, well, my tail light did not. The Tesla service center said they would fix it and ordered a replacement part. It just seems bizarre how the condensation hasn't evaporated under even with the sunny weather conditions in LA. I spoke with several other Model 3 owners who had the same exact condensation issue with at least one of their back tail lights too.

Happy that Tesla offered to fix it but it's a bummer paying over 60k and now having to drive looking like I've got a busted part on my car. Still waiting for over a month and not sure when this issue will be resolved. Will circle back when that happens.
IMG_3012.jpg

The seals in the tail lights on the Model S are also poor. Small flies and mosquitos make there way in, as does water. I do not know how widespread the issue is, however I already had my lights on the tailgate for my MS replaced once in the first year due to little creatures getting in there. Good luck in having that addressed sooner rather than later.

The seals in the tail lights on the Model S are also poor. Small flies and mosquitos make there way in, as does water. I do not know how widespread the issue is, however I already had my lights on the tailgate for my MS replaced once in the first year due to little creatures getting in there. Good luck in having that addressed sooner rather than later.
Aww, thanks for sharing your experience and happy they took care of you. All of this happened within the first 2 months of me taking delivery of the car. I still have love for Tesla but wish they would iron out these defects already.

Hopefully, the bugs and critters stay out of your lights for good. =)

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Washed my cat yesterday late afternoon at 4pm.
Cats are self-cleaning machines. Outside of abnormal dirtiness or infestation you should not wash your cat. If you do, lingering dampness is to be expected; your cat will eventually fully dry. Using a blow-dryer is not recommended, as you can easily burn your cat's skin.

Cats are self-cleaning machines. Outside of abnormal dirtiness or infestation you should not wash your cat. If you do, lingering dampness is to be expected; your cat will eventually fully dry. Using a blow-dryer is not recommended, as you can easily burn your cat's skin.
I suspect “cat” was meant as a euphemism and not in reference to an actual feline. All the same, I think your advice still applies.

Hey all,

Just FYI for us obsessive model 3 owners.

Owned my car since May. It was Built in May. Vin in 16Ks

My driver taillight was replaced within 1 month due to condensation build up problems. Easy 20 minute fix.
Today 4 months later, my passenger taillight has the same problem and it will be replaced. This time I was offered mobile service.

Just wanted to let people know that if you get this issue, make sure you call it in so they order the part instead of making a trip to a service center without the part.

That is all, hope it helps and hopefully my new taillights don't have anymore issues!.

If you search the forums the difference between the original tails and the updated ones are a tiny hole drilled into corner the clear plastic which allows the light to breath. I checked both my updated taillights and they have tiny holes.