Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 55DC2814-103D-4381-A379-141145EFE641.jpeg
    55DC2814-103D-4381-A379-141145EFE641.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 164
I buy, fix up, and keep classic and exotic cars as a hobby, and condensation in the headlights or taillights is something I have had to deal with a number of times.

If you get tired of swapping out for new ones that will leak again and you’re handy, you can fix the problem by smearing on clear silicone sealant along the top seams (where the lenses are attached to the plastic housing) and drilling holes at the very bottom to vent. I mask off the lenses to make sure the silicone doesn’t go where it will be seen and paint it on with my finger.

Once you’ve fix them, you can heat them with a hair dryer to speed up removing the condensation. Once the moisture is gone, there won’t be any permanent damage and it will stay gone.

I know this is not something a regular person will tolerate doing on an expensive car, but I kind of enjoy fixing/reengineering factory flaws myself. If you do too, hope this info is useful to you. The taillights I have had to fix previously are on cars costing many times more than a M3.

This still is happening. Today I noticed it in my one. Both tail lamps after whashing. It's a shame for Tesla and shame for me when others look at this new car... Here is very rare car and many people look at it on street.
I had over 20 cars and never had this problem even in 30 y.o. car called Trabant if you know what is this :), worth 100 bucks car at that time ( now from 1000 to 3000).
If it's normal for them, there is no point in me writing to them.

Replace LED with incandescent to warm up and dry it out! Not really, I assume the wiring is only capable of handling an LED. That may be what keeps them dry on other cars. There is a small drain hole. I shot water in it with the pressure washer. Ranger replaced it anyway.

Yes but the ones they put in are the same? At least that was what I was told when he arrived. Yep he was right same issues after.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they put someone’s old leaky tail lights that fog up into a box and install them to prove their point.

After the first rain for my car, the left tail light had moisture in it. Took the light out, used my method above to reseal it - didn’t fog up in its second rain.

~2 months after taking possession and in December. A contact in Montreal told me Tesla do replace a lot of them. Apparently once replaced, people don't call back. I sure had bad experience.

After taking delivery of the car Dec 2018, it took 2 months for the 2 rear + 1 fog lights to fog. In February they replaced then, in November lights got a wrap. Guess what happened 3 weeks later? Tesla replaced all the 2 fog + 2 rear lights.

I can understand the rear lights' shape can make it difficult to manufacture but the fog lights' design is quite simple. Who between Tesla and the manufacturer? Tesla has to pay an employee to replacement a light and the manufacturer provides a new light at no cost? At the end for both companies it seems logic to minimize any replacement.... it seems odd Tesla won't re-install old ones that fog again.

I can't tell if the new lights are good or not, time will tell.

I know this is not something a regular person will tolerate doing on an expensive car, but I kind of enjoy fixing/reengineering factory flaws myself. If you do too, hope this info is useful to you. The taillights I have had to fix previously are on cars costing many times more than a M3.

That works for me. What about the fog lights? They get pretty wet, drill holes at an angle or rear area?

8D01B810-7ADB-454C-AFB4-CB022321565A.jpeg
E6577C06-A02D-404F-82A7-812CFAC149F5.jpeg
I actually noticed this today when cleaning the front of my car. There seems to be some condensation residue INSIDE of the headlights that resulted from condensation building up and then drying inside of the housing. I was scrubbing away at it before realizing it was on the inside of the light.

Do you think this would get Tesla to replace my headlights as it is pretty unsightly and annoying now that I’ve noticed it and have no way to “clean” that internal moisture residue.

Attachments

• C939A29B-EEA9-4656-90FC-D3A12A4EDE5A.jpeg
    C939A29B-EEA9-4656-90FC-D3A12A4EDE5A.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 79