Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now if they could just correct how AutoSteer "swings wide" on the corners
x1000
There's a stretch of highway that makes several sharp-ish curves. Humans will always move to the side of the lane on the inside of a curve. I can't believe they don't know this and program the car to hang to the inside instead of wandering to the outside. I always have to override AP when I'm next to a car on that side. Not sure how they'll ever get to full autonomous if they can't get a basic function like this correct.

Hi Everyone - have read a few posts trying to get to the bottom of this but have yet to see a clear or confident response. Does anyone know if older M3s with radar now only use Tesla vision for things like Autopilot? Below are a few of the mixed answers i have seen.

- Only cars in the FSD Beta use Tesla vision. if you arent in the beta you still use radar. By in i dont mean in queue i mean enrolled and using the FSD Software stack
- all cars switched to vision no use of radar anymore
- Cars enrolled in the FSD Beta but just in the queue (so not actually accepted yet) use vision but the rest stay with radar.

just want to understand exactly what is going on here if anyone knows. Also - does anyone know if there are any camera hardware differences in the newer camera only teslas versus the older ones that would impact Tesla Vision performance? Think i saw in the latest FSD Beta software for example they increased the FPS of the cameras. not sure if a 2022 M3 has better cameras that allow that increase versus a 2019.

thanks everyone! feel free to point me to a post if i missed one that answers this.

Hi Everyone - have read a few posts trying to get to the bottom of this but have yet to see a clear or confident response. Does anyone know if older M3s with radar now only use Tesla vision for things like Autopilot? Below are a few of the mixed answers i have seen.

- Only cars in the FSD Beta use Tesla vision. if you arent in the beta you still use radar. By in i dont mean in queue i mean enrolled and using the FSD Software stack
This is the only claim I have seen substantiated.
- all cars switched to vision no use of radar anymore
- Cars enrolled in the FSD Beta but just in the queue (so not actually accepted yet) use vision but the rest stay with radar.
Have not seen any evidence of this. There is a lot of talk about merging the stacks, but so far Tesla have not done that yet, and presumably around that time would be when they switch everyone to Vision.
just want to understand exactly what is going on here if anyone knows. Also - does anyone know if there are any camera hardware differences in the newer camera only teslas versus the older ones that would impact Tesla Vision performance? Think i saw in the latest FSD Beta software for example they increased the FPS of the cameras. not sure if a 2022 M3 has better cameras that allow that increase versus a 2019.

thanks everyone! feel free to point me to a post if i missed one that answers this.
The only major change is the changing of color filter from RCCC to RCCB, which HW3 already included. Other more minor changes is related to glare for the repeater cameras, but the specs have not really changed.

This is the only claim I have seen substantiated.

Have not seen any evidence of this. There is a lot of talk about merging the stacks, but so far Tesla have not done that yet, and presumably around that time would be when they switch everyone to Vision.

The only major change is the changing of color filter from RCCC to RCCB, which HW3 already included. Other more minor changes is related to glare for the repeater cameras, but the specs have not really changed.
Appreciate the response. Exactly what I needed. I actually did a repeater swap a couple of weeks ago for the glare. Thank you!

Have you tried re-calibrating the cameras (see "Drive to Calibrate Cameras")?
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note calibration works best in these conditions: "For example, calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes (such as a controlled-access highway), with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes)".
Be careful when re-calibrating cameras. I've been stuck at 75% calibration for months because I don't have the correct roads it wants to calibrate.

Be careful when re-calibrating cameras. I've been stuck at 75% calibration for months because I don't have the correct roads it wants to calibrate.
I was stuck at 99% for a couple of weeks. I finally found a highway it liked and it finished up very quickly. Now I know where to go the next time I want to calibrate. BTW: the re-calibration didn't fix or change anything.

Lofoten island, Norway? Sounds totally amazing, but if you only have that one highway, the E10 for calibrating, and it's not working for you.... have you checked with other Norwegian Tesla owners?