Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My radarless M3 got update last night to 2021.4.18.3.
Only 300 Kms in my new M3, but I have to say AP in stop and go traffic on the highway has been great. Yesterday was light rain and no issues.
The system detected a car trying to get in in front of me and slowed down for it.
Agree. Picked mine up last week and then had to make a road trip from Cleveland to Chicago and back. I found one of the most useful situations for AP was in traffic. It really made it more relaxing.

...But, after thinking about it, I realized it would be very stupid to rely on ANYTHING during heavy rain or fog

So it really doesn't matter whether it uses Vision or Radar. Shouldn't use either one during heavy weather.

It's true. However, the radar gives us more options, not fewer.

For example, with the picture below, in darkness without the headlights turned on at 10:15 PM, radar-equipped Autopilot would lose AutoSteer with the message "Take over Immediately" but the TACC still functions flawlessly if there's a lead car leading the way in front. I had to manually steer the Tesla but it would not rear-end the car in front in darkness as the car in front was running at 62 MPH and my TACC was set at 75 MPH.

1n5o2RK.jpg

We usually think of best scenarios and seldom in cases that we might not think of.

It's not advisable to drive in total darkness, headlights off, smoke, wildfire evacuation, thick fog, heavy rain.. but sometimes it's a matter of survival.

Reactions: YieldFarmer
It's not advisable to drive in total darkness, headlights off, smoke, wildfire evacuation, thick fog, heavy rain.. but sometimes it's a matter of survival.
Uh... people have been driving themselves in "matter of survival" circumstances since cars were invented. No one thinks automation like this, even magical SAE Level 5 systems of the future, are going to be able to automatically drive in blind conditions. That's just not on the requirements list anywhere.

Frankly that point seems correct, but specious. No, a radarless car won't be able to drive blind. But neither can a 2020 M3 either, nor a Waymo car, nor any car anyone is going to make in this space.

There is one obvious reason we need radar even if it’s not used for AP/FSD. Vision can’t see multiple cars ahead where radar can.
If you have a box trunk in front of you and a car in front of the box truck slams on its brakes radar would see the car panic braking but vision won’t.

Last edited:
Uh... people have been driving themselves in "matter of survival" circumstances since cars were invented...
True. In escaping a wildfire with near-zero visibility, evacuees don't need radar to drive through, they just do it or be burned alive if left behind. However, it's nice to have radar to lead them through if there's a lead car in front.

There might be cases of emergencies that people have to drive in very heavy rains and they don't need radar to drive through, they just do it or otherwise, it's not called emergencies. However, it's nice to have radar to lead them through if there's a lead car in front.

And so on...

True. In escaping a wildfire with near-zero visibility, evacuees don't need radar to drive through, they just do it or be burned alive if left behind. However, it's nice to have radar to lead them through if there's a lead car in front.

There might be cases of emergencies that people have to drive in very heavy rains and they don't need radar to drive through, they just do it or otherwise, it's not called emergencies. However, it's nice to have radar to lead them through if there's a lead car in front.

And so on...
That sounds like such a niche case where you shouldn't be using ACC in the first place, that I doubt it will really play much of a factor.

Reactions: Bulldogge16
That sounds like such a niche case where you shouldn't be using ACC in the first place, that I doubt it will really play much of a factor.
A niche case for California Central Valley winter (seldom snow) where I live as there are often times that fog would be so thick that it's near-zero visibility called "Tule Fog".

“Fog is our number one killer here when it comes to traffic collisions,”

At least 40 vehicles crash in dense fog on Highway 198

108 Vehicles in California Fog Crash

Just because it doesn't rain in Tesla factory, it doesn't mean Tesla bumpers don't need to survive through the rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Platini
It is not pressure, it is torque. Steering wheel doesn’t have pressure sensors.
This is the most pedantic reply I have ever seen on the internet. In fact, you aren't applying a torque, you're applying a force which is what the message actually says. You're applying a force that is tangential to to the steering wheel.

This is the most pedantic reply I have ever seen on the internet. In fact, you aren't applying a torque, you're applying a force which is what the message actually says. You're applying a force that is tangential to to the steering wheel.
Pressure implies you apply a force along the axis of rotation of the steering wheel like when you are pressing the horn or pressing a button on it. Torque implies a rotational force which is probably more accurate. Anyways, I never had a problem with the nag and I hold the steering wheel naturally with both hands and provide a little bit of resistance to AP's movements. I don't have to deliberately apply any force.

Reactions: Skyeforge
A moment of force tangential to the steering wheel is the definition of torque.

Regardless of that, the point Matias is making is that it is rotational force (torque) that is required. Squeezing the steering wheel or pushing on it will not accomplish anything - you have to turn it slightly. I think a lot of people are confused by that when they first encounter it.

A niche case for California Central Valley winter (seldom snow) where I live as there are often times that fog would be so thick that it's near-zero visibility called "Tule Fog".

“Fog is our number one killer here when it comes to traffic collisions,”

At least 40 vehicles crash in dense fog on Highway 198

108 Vehicles in California Fog Crash

Just because it doesn't rain in Tesla factory, it doesn't mean Tesla bumpers don't need to survive through the rain.
My point is it's not safe to rely on ACC in this situation either. For example in that pileup, I doubt radar ACC would save you (or that you should even be using it in the first place), given even if you had ACC that was able to detect a car or two in front, the cars in front might not. Then even if you were able to stop in time (ACC is not tasked with that, AEB is, but Tesla's AEB does not target preventing a crash, especially at higher speeds, only reducing the speed of the crash), the car in the back might not (that's typically the case in pileups).

If the visibility is low, you should be driving in much slower speeds (such that you can stop within your visibility). What caused that accident was people weren't doing that.

Sorry if obvious, how am I supposed to know if I have the new vision system? I took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 LR AWD this past Tuesday.

Your car's manufacture date label should be on the driver's door sill. If it's made after 4/27/2021, it's most likely be radarless.

If you are handy, you can open the frunk and remove the cover where the button door is and if it's radarless, you would see there's a 7-pin electrical plug that is not plugged and it is taped to the wire.

See the picture in message #232 as pointed out by @twc:

20210604_111657-jpg.669548

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: id436eg9045
Anyway, for some people (not
necessarily you 🙂) the problem has been, that they’ve tried to squeeze the steering wheel to clear the nag, when all that is needed is slight tangential force (one finger is enough).

My point is it's not safe to rely on ACC in this situation either. For example in that pileup, I doubt radar ACC would save you (or that you should even be using it in the first place), given even if you had ACC that was able to detect a car or two in front, the cars in front might not. Then even if you were able to stop in time (ACC is not tasked with that, AEB is, but Tesla's AEB does not target preventing a crash, especially at higher speeds, only reducing the speed of the crash), the car in the back might not (that's typically the case in pileups).

If the visibility is low, you should be driving in much slower speeds (such that you can stop within your visibility). What caused that accident was people weren't doing that.
What is ACC?