Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone think the camera and ultrasonic sensor hardware is upgraded in any way with cars that are lacking radar or is that hardware all remaining the same and it’s purely a radar delete?
I think it's just a radar delete.

Sonars are short-range and primarily for Automatic Parking so I don't see how Tesla would be motivated for longer-range ones.

AP2 camera was upgraded once. I am not sure there's any reason for upgrading.

(moderator note: there are two active threads on this discussion. There is this one, which is in the model 3 section, and there is one in the autonomous / FSD forum, here:

I am not planning on merging this one into that one, or vis versa. I will just mention that the autonomous / FSD subforum tends to be fairly "passionate" in its discussion.

Reactions: play150
Any idea how Tesla Vision will work with cars that only have HW2.5?

I assume that if you didn't pay for FSD, then you don't need more powerful computing hardware even in Tesla Vision.

That's because the included Autopilot can only perform 2 tasks.

1) TACC
2) Autosteer

Autopilot doesn't even need to look around for a Lane Change because it does not have Auto Lane function and humans have to manually do it for the Autopilot. With a manual lane change, there's no need to spend computing power to analyze 8 cameras for a nonexisting function of Auto Lane Change.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I too am somewhat skeptical they can pull this off without radar. Seems like mixing the 2 technologies is the best way to go. Hopefully their internal testing has proven otherwise but would have been more comfortable if my car had radar in case they need to back track. That all being said I have 2 cars now with just simple adaptive cruise control, Subaru Ascent with eyesight (camera based) and Alfa Romeo Giulia which uses radar. I have found that the eyesight system is quicker to respond and overall does a better job tracking vehicles than the radar based system. My wife is the one usually driving the Subaru but I can say here in Cleveland my radar sensor on the Alfa Romeo often gets disabled in snowy weather.

I assume that if you didn't pay for FSD, then you don't need more powerful computing hardware even in Tesla Vision.

That's because the included Autopilot can only perform 2 tasks.

1) TACC
2) Autosteer

Autopilot doesn't even need to look around for a Lane Change because it does not have Auto Lane function and humans have to manually do it for the Autopilot. With a manual lane change, there's no need to spend computing power to analyze 8 cameras for a nonexisting function of Auto Lane Change.
Isn’t radar used for TACC now to determine distance to the car in front of you? If Tesla vision is so computationally intensive how will that even work in cars that don't have HW 3.0?

If so many people feel strongly about this, how come nobody tweet reply to Elon asking about this? I'm not on twitter so sorry if I missed it. Wouldn't it be safe to assume Tesla has been comparing their data against Lidar/radar on those cars we've seen popped up that has mounted lidar driving around.

No one from tesla has said a single word about any feature at all being removed from existing cars. Before people start panicing about that, it might be a good idea to wait and see what they say about it. With that being said, I understand people like to worry about stuff like this they have no control over, so have at it.

While you do, however, remember that tesla currently has said that NEW model 3s and Ys delivered after a specific date will have this. Nothing about when it might impact current vehicles, or timelines for that.