Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you be a bit more specific what you mean about them not working at night? The LDW does not rely on the radar (it uses the side cameras) so is not affected by the radar removal. Only the FCW might be affected, but I haven't seen reports there was any difference in operation (it's not easy to test however given you basically have to try crashing to know if it's working).
Transitioning to Tesla Vision
I can cross lanes without signalling and it won't turn the lane blue or beep or bump me back into my lane only at night though. During the day the feature works perfectly. The computer is seeing the lanes at night as I can see them on the screen but crossing them without signalling doesn't seem to trigger the system.

I'm pretty happy with the Vision system on my new 3. Works much better than I thought it would. The few phantom braking events so far were not a problem.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the systems ability to track the lane in areas with tons of breaks in the lines. And it does a great job of spotting parked cars ahead at stop lights and braking appropriately. Most importantly, it follows the car in front of me very well, which is all I really wanted out of the system.
Is you LDW and FCW working during the night? Mine is working fine during day time. At night, I can see lane marks on the screen but can go over them without signalling and it won't warn/bump me back into my lane as it would do during the day time. I got my M3 in June 2021.

Phantom braking is really dangerous. Probably my biggest grip with Auto Pilot is phantom braking. Really concerned about the winter without the radar as well.

Well what can you do? 3/Y are the guinea pigs for no radar.

Why aren’t Model S and Model X transitioning now?
Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time, which ultimately speeds up the roll-out of features based on Tesla Vision.

Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time, which ultimately speeds up the roll-out of features based on Tesla Vision.
Watching dirt Tesla's channel I was pretty impressed with how Tesla vision did with FSD beta 9.0. I do still have lots of concerns about winter AP or FSD without the radar. Also with safety because Radar can see through the car ahead and see if the car in front of them slams on their brakes. Tesla engineers are a lot smarter then I am with this stuff though so we will see.

Watching dirt Tesla's channel I was pretty impressed with how Tesla vision did with FSD beta 9.0. I do still have lots of concerns about winter AP or FSD without the radar. Also with safety because Radar can see through the car ahead and see if the car in front of them slams on their brakes. Tesla engineers are a lot smarter then I am with this stuff though so we will see.
My experience with the system in winter is that it is useless when snow and ice cover the radar. I’ll be glad if it isn’t used this winter.

My experience with the system in winter is that it is useless when snow and ice cover the radar. I’ll be glad if it isn’t used this winter.
I have had the same issue I just worry about it being even worse with one less sensor to rely on. I have had snow block my radar as well though... Will be interesting to see how it works. Actually pretty impressed with the visualizations on the FSD 9.0 beta video's I have watched and it is running purely on Tesla vision...

Is you LDW and FCW working during the night? Mine is working fine during day time. At night, I can see lane marks on the screen but can go over them without signalling and it won't warn/bump me back into my lane as it would do during the day time. I got my M3 in June 2021.
I assume so, but haven't done much night driving and have only noticed LDW when I did not want it to do anything. In general, I don't care for these systems and have only left them active because they haven't been annoying yet like they were on my 3 series.

Did anyone actually try retrofitting the radar to see if it would be recognized? Not sure if it’s worth doing either way, if Tesla truly is going to vision only based systems, but I’m just curious if Tesla would effectively write two different firmwares for vision only vehicles vs vision/radar vehicles.

Did anyone actually try retrofitting the radar to see if it would be recognized? Not sure if it’s worth doing either way, if Tesla truly is going to vision only based systems, but I’m just curious if Tesla would effectively write two different firmwares for vision only vehicles vs vision/radar vehicles.

It's the same firmware- but if the vehicle has radar it uses it- if it doesn't it doesn't.

I vaguely think I recall green saying has radar are not is set in the config file for the car, so physically adding the part wouldn't change that.

Reactions: DMan918
Wondering when Tesla will be able to increase the speed for vision AP. Right now it is limited to 80mph instead of 90. Really need the new update on mine also because following distance set to 3 really pisses off everyone else on the road eventhough I'm going the same speed as the car in front of me... Hoping Tesla can get the vision system on par with the radar system soon.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Wondering when Tesla will be able to increase the speed for vision AP. Right now it is limited to 80mph instead of 90. Really need the new update on mine also because following distance set to 3 really pisses off everyone else on the road eventhough I'm going the same speed as the car in front of me... Hoping Tesla can get the vision system on par with the radar system soon.
There is an update that reduces the distance to 2, but haven't heard of one yet for the speed.

Do you really think they'd stake this much on their company by using M3 and Y customers as guinea pigs? I mean, if that's the way you'd run your R&D department, then respectfully, you shouldn't be running much of anything.

And nuance and hyperbole count in this discussion.

Do you really think they'd stake this much on their company by using M3 and Y customers as guinea pigs? I mean, if that's the way you'd run your R&D department, then respectfully, you shouldn't be running much of anything.

one rule: you dont immediately piss off your higher paying customers.

(nuance enough for ya?)

Yes congratulations you're driving an experiment. Is lab rat a better term lol. I exaggerate a bit but they want data before rolling out to the more pricey models. How much dinero will it take for you to let me keep running my imaginary R&D department this way? To be fair, knowing all of this still didn't deter me from buying a TV car.

So far AP works ok at night. The high beams like to toggle on and off but at least they're off when it detects a car in front of you. That was my main concern so it seems to do pretty well at not blinding or distracting other drivers unnecessarily.