Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had autopilot in 2017 and it was pretty much unusable then. It has gotten night and day better through software updates. I'm sure Tesla will do the same with the vision only version. Still waiting on the software update to even be able to set my follow distance to 2 instead of 3. With it set to 3 I get everyone tailgating me. 2 will be a bit better but always set it to 1 on my model S. Would have thought they would remove the radar from the S and X before the 3 and Y because there are so many 3's and y's on the road. My guess it is a big cost savings though for Tesla. One major disadvantage I have seen so far is the system can't see what the car 2 ahead is doing anymore so it has to act based on the car in front of you.

Reactions: CarbonPear
As someone who is the market for a new m3, coming off of a 2019 M3 SR+ with vision and radar, (that I thought was perfect), what limitations can I expect? Does that mean when I get to close to things like say, when Im parking or whatever, it will no longer beep if I get close?

As someone who is the market for a new m3, coming off of a 2019 M3 SR+ with vision and radar, (that I thought was perfect), what limitations can I expect? Does that mean when I get to close to things like say, when Im parking or whatever, it will no longer beep if I get close?
You will have no limitations having radar. Eventually the system will probably stop using the radar but right now the radar equipped cars are more cabable then the vision only cars.

Reactions: linux-works
You will have no limitations having radar. Eventually the system will probably stop using the radar but right now the radar equipped cars are more cabable then the vision only cars.

You mean no limitations having Vision?

I dont have my old m3 anymore, I'm buying a new one with vision only. Im asking what limitations or changes I can expect going from a car WITH RADAR to a car WITHOUT RADAR.

I dont have my old m3 anymore, I'm buying a new one with vision only. Im asking what limitations or changes I can expect going from a car WITH RADAR to a car WITHOUT RADAR.
This page is continually updated, and the current limitation is the following:
"Autosteer will be limited to a maximum speed of 80 mph and a longer minimum following distance."
Transitioning to Tesla Vision
So basically max speed is 90 mph and the minimum following distance is 2 instead of 1. There may be also some other slight differences in performance, but those parts are harder to say as it can be both a pro and a con.

The beeping when you get close in parking uses ultrasonic sensors, which are still present on the car, so they are not affected.

Sorry I misread your post. The post above mine is correct the max speed of 80 instead of 90 and following distance are the changes. They will correct these with software eventually. They already updated the following distance from 3 to 2 but I'm still waiting on that update. On the flip side I do notice I get less heavy phantom breaking now but I also went from a Autopilot 2 car so there are some other differences.

Sorry I misread your post. The post above mine is correct the max speed of 80 instead of 90 and following distance are the changes. They will correct these with software eventually. They already updated the following distance from 3 to 2 but I'm still waiting on that update. On the flip side I do notice I get less heavy phantom breaking now but I also went from a Autopilot 2 car so there are some other differences.

I get substantially more phantom braking in both of my vision cars compared to my 2019 radar car.

I get substantially more phantom braking in both of my vision cars compared to my 2019 radar car.
When I say less phantom braking I'm talking about the really heavy out of no where phantom braking. So far I'm yet to have this happen with my vision car (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself). My radar car was a 2017 S with AP2 and MCU1. Probably happened once or twice a month max but super dangerous when it did with the way people tailgate. I use navigate on AP daily on my commute to work.

When I say less phantom braking I'm talking about the really heavy out of no where phantom braking. So far I'm yet to have this happen with my vision car (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself). My radar car was a 2017 S with AP2 and MCU1. Probably happened once or twice a month max but super dangerous when it did with the way people tailgate. I use navigate on AP daily on my commute to work.
So am I.
Got it today on a 6 lane divided interstate with no vehicles within 500 feet of me.

Probably get it once a day at least. Maybe got it 15 times total in the 2 years I owned the radar car

So am I.
Got it today on a 6 lane divided interstate with no vehicles within 500 feet of me.

Probably get it once a day at least. Maybe got it 15 times total in the 2 years I owned the radar car
I'm still on the "older" version that only allows a follow distance up to 3. Do you have the new software that allows the following distance to be set to 2? Wonder if there is a difference in the software? Tesla is supposed to merge the FSD and Ap stacks soon also will be interesting to see if that fixes any phantom braking issues. I must be lucky so far because I haven't had it happen with my vision car yet.

I'm still on the "older" version that only allows a follow distance up to 3. Do you have the new software that allows the following distance to be set to 2? Wonder if there is a difference in the software? Tesla is supposed to merge the FSD and Ap stacks soon also will be interesting to see if that fixes any phantom braking issues. I must be lucky so far because I haven't had it happen with my vision car yet.
One car is locked to 3 still, one is on 2.
The newer software is just as bad. Especially on undivided roads.

Car will come over a hill opposite direction 1/4 mile out and the Tesla goes into emergency braking thinking they're in your lane. Never happened in the radar car.

One car is locked to 3 still, one is on 2.
The newer software is just as bad. Especially on undivided roads.

Car will come over a hill opposite direction 1/4 mile out and the Tesla goes into emergency braking thinking they're in your lane. Never happened in the radar car.
I have only use AP on my vision car on the expressway. I do think the hill issue will be resolved when they push out the full self driving stack. My radar car used to phantom brake on hills but that did get fixed with a software update. It still would phantom brake when it was cloudy and I went under certain bridges though... Surprised they haven't had more updates for vision cars but I wonder if they are pushing efforts towards FSD and the refreshed model S.

Following distance of 3 is terrible. 2 is probably where I would feel comfortable. Trusting the car at 1 makes me uneasy. Have you seen how people drive lol?
I do notice that my radar car reacted faster to cars in front of me slowing down as well. Even with the following distance set to 3 if I notice the car in front of me brake fast I take over and brake because I don't true the vision system to stop quick enough even more so without getting rear ended because of how close people drive...

I do notice that my radar car reacted faster to cars in front of me slowing down as well. Even with the following distance set to 3 if I notice the car in front of me brake fast I take over and brake because I don't true the vision system to stop quick enough even more so without getting rear ended because of how close people drive...
I feel my vision car is slow to react to cars exiting the lane and/or accelerating in the lane. It will slow down for sure but is slow to accelerate. But I mean I can only set it to 3 so I'm far away already lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: THXULTRA
I feel my vision car is slow to react to cars exiting the lane and/or accelerating in the lane. It will slow down for sure but is slow to accelerate. But I mean I can only set it to 3 so I'm far away already lol.
I have noticed this as well. So far going from the radar system in my last car to the Vision system in my current car the radar system was way ahead especially when it comes to reactions. I know Tesla will fix this over time with software but for now it is a bit annoying. Still waiting on the update so I can at least set my following distance to 2. Will be interesting to see if the system reacts better with that update as well.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I have noticed this as well. So far going from the radar system in my last car to the Vision system in my current car the radar system was way ahead especially when it comes to reactions. I know Tesla will fix this over time with software but for now it is a bit annoying. Still waiting on the update so I can at least set my following distance to 2. Will be interesting to see if the system reacts better with that update as well.
I would be fine with the following system 2. That seems like a normal gap. 3 is where everyone honks at you and you're like "my stupid Tesla vision won't accelerate" hahaha

So am I.

Phantom braking on the highway the other day caused the person behind me to get visibly upset because it looked like I'm brake checked him for no apparent reason. It was followed swiftly with a few impressively poetic phrases that I able to lip read through the rear view mirror, a pass, and a couple of very enthusiastic middle fingers in my direction in the process.

I couldn't even be mad, I would've been upset too if I were in his shoes. All I could do was try to emote that it was my car's fault and not my own 😄

Things I have noticed going from a 2.5 radar car to a Full Self Driving Vision car....
Following distance is too far and pisses off people behind me (Also still waiting on the update to be able to set it to 2 instead of 3).
Car makes lots more lane changes out of the passing lane only to change back maybe 10 to 20 seconds later. Doesn't seem to be able to track the cars speed in the slower lane as well.
Hoping they allow the max speed to be on par with the radar system (90 instead of 80).
Car seems to wait longer before responding to cars ahead braking (they really need to fix this it could be dangerous) I actually intervene quite often because I just don't trust the vision system to stop in time many times.

Really hoping Tesla addresses these issues. Curious what work they have done on the highway part of the vision system with them doing so much work on auto steer on city streets...