Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: New Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

Jeremy3292

Gas Is Slow
Jul 7, 2021
South Carolina
Things I have noticed going from a 2.5 radar car to a Full Self Driving Vision car....
Following distance is too far and pisses off people behind me (Also still waiting on the update to be able to set it to 2 instead of 3).
Car makes lots more lane changes out of the passing lane only to change back maybe 10 to 20 seconds later. Doesn't seem to be able to track the cars speed in the slower lane as well.
Hoping they allow the max speed to be on par with the radar system (90 instead of 80).
Car seems to wait longer before responding to cars ahead braking (they really need to fix this it could be dangerous) I actually intervene quite often because I just don't trust the vision system to stop in time many times.

Really hoping Tesla addresses these issues. Curious what work they have done on the highway part of the vision system with them doing so much work on auto steer on city streets...
There is a setting for not riding in the passing lane and getting back over. I'm sure you have that enabled.

THXULTRA

Oct 4, 2017
Chicago
There is a setting for not riding in the passing lane and getting back over. I'm sure you have that enabled.
I do have that enabled and did on my previous radar car as well. With the vision car it gets over when it should just stay in the passing lane. The radar car did a much better job knowing it was closing in on another car in the other lane so it would wait to pass them before getting over. At least right now I notice the radar system does a much better job judging distances then the vision one does.

THXULTRA

Oct 4, 2017
Chicago
I keep that setting ‘off.’ Way too many issues with it for now.
Even with my "issues" I wouldn't say it has too many issues. For the most part on highways it works really good. The phantom braking issue for me at least is pretty rare. not passing in the left lane would be far more dangerous where I drive :)

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
radar deleted, but why the price is not reduced ?
Simple supply and demand. The cars are in high demand and low supply so no need to reduce price. Plus their narrative is the removal of radar wouldn't matter in the long run, so obviously they won't be giving a price reduction, as that would have suggested it was of value.

Reactions: YieldFarmer

Sackmonkey

Jun 7, 2021
Clarkston, MI
Well after 4 months of TeslaVision ownership, I've basically stopped using AP altogether. My neighborhood is connected to our local town by a 2-lane, 45mph country road. I drive this road 3-4 times a day and used to use AP for it because it was relaxing. Now, I find myself with my foot hovering over the accelerator in anticipation of needing to override a phantom braking event, which happens about half the time, both directions, in similar spots. Sometimes it's severe. Usually it's just a drop of 2-3mph then recovers. Both are very annoying. This was one of my favorite features on my '17 M3 and now I hate it. With the '17, it would occasionally get better or worse with software updates over time, but it was never as bad as my '21 TV version is now. My understanding is that the beta FSD code base will eventually merge into standard AP (I don't have FSD) and as far as I'm concerned, they need to do it immediately.

ry-ballz

Mar 13, 2019
Colorado
Well after 4 months of TeslaVision ownership, I've basically stopped using AP altogether. My neighborhood is connected to our local town by a 2-lane, 45mph country road. I drive this road 3-4 times a day and used to use AP for it because it was relaxing. Now, I find myself with my foot hovering over the accelerator in anticipation of needing to override a phantom braking event, which happens about half the time, both directions, in similar spots. Sometimes it's severe. Usually it's just a drop of 2-3mph then recovers. Both are very annoying. This was one of my favorite features on my '17 M3 and now I hate it. With the '17, it would occasionally get better or worse with software updates over time, but it was never as bad as my '21 TV version is now. My understanding is that the beta FSD code base will eventually merge into standard AP (I don't have FSD) and as far as I'm concerned, they need to do it immediately.
Basically my same experience. On anything but an interstate, vision only is hot trash.

Reactions: YieldFarmer

Newtothis

Sep 8, 2021
Bay area
Just got a new M3 with vision only. Never driven with the ‘previous’ tech. I too find that the car is ‘slower than I’d like’ to react to cars slowing down ahead of me, and when it does hit the breaks, it hits them hard and we fling forward. It has pissed off the drivers behind me quite a few times as well. I take it this is more due to the vision tech rather than AP flaws as a whole?

I was so excited to use AP for my mundane ride to and from work, and now I dont get to use it since its not as great as I had imagined.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC