Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oops. My bad. I didn’t know there were 2 levels of summon. I think it was just the basic summon. Sorry about that.
I'm in the same boat. I have SR Model 3. I had no idea there was a "basic" summon and I will need to look it up. It's grayed out on my display.

I will say my drive from Chicago to southwest Illinois was very pleasant with AP, expect for an instance of phantom breaking.

I have had my model 3 for 10 days. this weekend I finally got to try out autosteer and was impressed. It changed plans nicely after I put on my turn single and then 1 time it did not. i looked in the mirrors and saw no obstuction and was about to move over when a car doing at least 20 over the speed limit ame int view. the cameras certainly have a longer and better view than the mirrors

Just took delivery of my M3 SR+ earlier this month. I was curious how the Autopilot would be sans radar. I have noticed that in autopilot, the M3 hugs the left side of the lane pretty heavily (more than I am comfortable with). Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on a fix.

Reactions: epj3 and Skyeforge
People have said this about the radar version too, but found out (if you have someone follow you) that the car tracks directly in the center of the lane, but THEY normally drive to the right.

Translation, the car is probably in the center of the lane, but you dont drive in the center of the lane, so you feel like its over to the left. Have someone follow you and check, to see if this is true for your "Tesla Vision" vehicle, just like it is for vehicles equipped with radar.

There is no adjustment for you to make, or that can be made, to answer your other question.

People have said this about the radar version too, but found out (if you have someone follow you) that the car tracks directly in the center of the lane, but THEY normally drive to the right.

Translation, the car is probably in the center of the lane, but you dont drive in the center of the lane, so you feel like its over to the left. Have someone follow you and check, to see if this is true for your "Tesla Vision" vehicle, just like it is for vehicles equipped with radar.
I think that is almost certainly true. I did the same test with my new Model Y last night, and found that it seemed to track a little too far to the RIGHT. But after observing it carefully, I realized that it was in fact centered in the lane, and that my own driving had a tendency to hug the left side of the lane.

My biggest concern about Tesla Vision (based on very little experience so far) is the auto-brights. I turned them on several times while driving after dusk last night and found that they frequently went on while oncoming cars were less than 100 yards from me, and also when tail lights in front of me were at a similar distance. If I were in one of those cars and found someone else's brights shining at me, I would be cussing that driver out. It's a serious problem, and Tesla needs to get it fixed. For now, I consider autopilot to be usable only in the daytime because of this flaw.

It shouldn't be hard to get this right. My Mazda does it perfectly. It turns off the brights instantly when there are either headlights or taillights ahead of me within a quarter of a mile or so.

I think that is almost certainly true. I did the same test with my new Model Y last night, and found that it seemed to track a little too far to the RIGHT. But after observing it carefully, I realized that it was in fact centered in the lane, and that my own driving had a tendency to hug the left side of the lane.

My biggest concern about Tesla Vision (based on very little experience so far) is the auto-brights. I turned them on several times while driving after dusk last night and found that they frequently went on while oncoming cars were less than 100 yards from me, and also when tail lights in front of me were at a similar distance. If I were in one of those cars and found someone else's brights shining at me, I would be cussing that driver out. It's a serious problem, and Tesla needs to get it fixed. For now, I consider autopilot to be usable only in the daytime because of this flaw.

It shouldn't be hard to get this right. My Mazda does it perfectly. It turns off the brights instantly when there are either headlights or taillights ahead of me within a quarter of a mile or so.
My Kona EV is near perfect. I've found the occasional false positives from some lights at businesses at the edge of the road.
It then waits a couple of seconds after passing to turn the high beams back on.

Interesting idea re disable WiFi access. In the past I had read that if you refuse update it will disable features and/or car. Is that false? (Or does it not matter if your car doesn't have WiFi - I think I'll do this...)

So the internal camera doesn't decrease nags? Disappointing. I used comma ai prior to my autopilot radar model 3 and the driver monitoring was good or great. It definitely improved safety imo
No, eventually Tesla will mark an update as 'extra important' (my words) and indicate that it should be downloaded over LTE if WiFi cannot be found.

Also yes, phantom braking still happens on Vision cars, in my personal experience.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
"...it still phantom brakes." This happened to me using AP on the highway today at 65 MPH. Scared the Hell out of me. I haven't even had the car for a week.

Glad I am not the only one this happens to---I thought I did something wrong.
No, it happens from time to time. My pet theory is that as it reads speed limits from the map sometimes it gets the speed limit from a road going over the top of your road or one under it. As some cars now pretend they actually read speed limits I guess that theory would be easy to disprove.

No, eventually Tesla will mark an update as 'extra important' (my words) and indicate that it should be downloaded over LTE if WiFi cannot be found.

Also yes, phantom braking still happens on Vision cars, in my personal experience.
You may be right but I haven't had one over the mobile network in years. I would still be v8 if I hadn't forgotten to tell the service center NOT to update the car though I kept it for way longer than most people :)

It was recently announced that Tesla would be enabling the interior cameras for “driver monitoring” (sounds a little cryptic and Orwellian) but there’s value in this too from a vehicle owner perspective. Does anyone know WHERE that footage is stored / saved and how to retrieve it? I don’t see on my SSD plugged into the USB port where all the Sentry footage and forward-facing “dash cam” footage is.

It could be very useful to us owners in an accident, theft, break-in, etc. and at the end of the day, these are OUR cars and it’s footage of US, so it seems to me we should be able to have access to it and use it for our own uses.

Anyone know how to access / download?

It was recently announced that Tesla would be enabling the interior cameras for “driver monitoring” (sounds a little cryptic and Orwellian) but there’s value in this too from a vehicle owner perspective. Does anyone know WHERE that footage is stored / saved and how to retrieve it? I don’t see on my SSD plugged into the USB port where all the Sentry footage and forward-facing “dash cam” footage is.

It could be very useful to us owners in an accident, theft, break-in, etc. and at the end of the day, these are OUR cars and it’s footage of US, so it seems to me we should be able to have access to it and use it for our own uses.

(moderator note: moved to this thread because only tesla vision cars have been reported to have this, so the question would have to be answered by someone with tesla vision).

You need root access to grab these videos. Green posted some he got from another member who got temporary (non-persistent) root on his M3 (loophole now patched too)

I have had my model 3 for 10 days. this weekend I finally got to try out autosteer and was impressed. It changed plans nicely after I put on my turn single and then 1 time it did not. i looked in the mirrors and saw no obstuction and was about to move over when a car doing at least 20 over the speed limit ame int view. the cameras certainly have a longer and better view than the mirrors
Autosteer will change lanes on the highway? I did not know this. What do you need to do, just hit the turn signal?

OK, I’ve had my Tesla model Y Performance and Vision only for a week now. I just took a drive 160 miles and attempted to use auto pilot a good portion of the trip. With no prior experience, Overall I would say it was very terrible. I experienced phantom braking on the highway at least 10 times if not more.
I received false warnings In the system disengaged a ton of times. It seems it was very confused by cars on a two-way highway single lane around corners. This would even happen when I was using TACC.
When it became evening and I attempted to use navigate on auto pilot (full self driving) the auto highbeams were very aggressive. It did make an exit for me without intervening which was pretty cool but had a very hard time merging.
In another instance, it wanted to move into the left lane without any other car in front of me however a car was passing me on the left at the time. I waited to see what it would do and it started to move and then canceled. Stupid. I reported all of this each time it happened using the voice command “send bug report“ with a quick message. Overall my experience has been pretty terrible in even the best of driving circumstances. There is so far to go in improving this, that I’m regrettting paying for FSD (and of course it’s not even getting any real features at this point).

OK, I’ve had my Tesla model Y Performance and Vision only for a week now. I just took a drive 160 miles and attempted to use auto pilot a good portion of the trip. With no prior experience, Overall I would say it was very terrible. I experienced phantom braking on the highway at least 10 times if not more.
I received false warnings In the system disengaged a ton of times. It seems it was very confused by cars on a two-way highway single lane around corners. This would even happen when I was using TACC.
When it became evening and I attempted to use navigate on auto pilot (full self driving) the auto highbeams were very aggressive. It did make an exit for me without intervening which was pretty cool but had a very hard time merging.
In another instance, it wanted to move into the left lane without any other car in front of me however a car was passing me on the left at the time. I waited to see what it would do and it started to move and then canceled. Stupid. I reported all of this each time it happened using the voice command “send bug report“ with a quick message. Overall my experience has been pretty terrible in even the best of driving circumstances. There is so far to go in improving this, that I’m regrettting paying for FSD (and of course it’s not even getting any real features at this point).
Oh, look. Another FSD horror story.

Thanks for sharing---truly. I am a new owner (SRM3--delivery last Saturday)) and on the fence about FSD. I've yet to hear one forum poster say anything positive about it.

I did have a long trip earlier this week and AP was fine for me. I had one phantom break while going about 65 and having the breaks jerked on you at that speed while you are not prepared is...unpleasant.

Reactions: Skyeforge
I have experienced a few phantom brakes in my vision-only car as well. Seemingly, it also happens with overpasses (this happens to radar cars and the running theory was that the radar returns from the overpass do it).

I have not driven at night yet but hear many bad things about auto high-beams on the vision cars.

FYI, doing "bug report" does nothing. It marks a spot in your log file, which will get overwritten in a few days if not sent to tesla (via having them manually pull it). I wouldn't waste your time doing those.