Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct 2019 electric utility power shutdowns in various parts of California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the map I saw the other day, Gilroy was not in the shutoff zone, so charging down there should be fine. I know some people have approached this as an apocalypse but there are areas for many that people if they’ve kept their cars charged or fueled can get to.

So far where I live still has power. Heard there was a delay for some areas and possibly the most southern targeted sections might fall into a Phase 3.

Here’s KTVU2’s info on the Phases which they have been updating the article with as time and more info becomes available. I’m guessing I’m in Phase 3 which says late afternoon/evening (no time announced yet) as I still have power.

Timeline: When will Pacific Gas and Electric turn off power in your area?

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
My husband’s MS received this notice this morning on its screen:

55F39811-1F1C-4987-85B9-74989CF8ACED.jpeg

Not knowing if power here would go off at noon I charged this morning at home to 96% only. Going to 100% would have extended charging beyond noon and I didn’t want power to our garage door to be out at that point.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and Ulmo
From the map I saw the other day, Gilroy was not in the shutoff zone, so charging down there should be fine. I know some people have approached this as an apocalypse but there are areas for many that people if they’ve kept their cars charged or fueled can get to.

So far where I live still has power. Heard there was a delay for some areas and possibly the most southern targeted sections might fall into a Phase 3.

Here’s KTVU2’s info on the Phases which they have been updating the article with as time and more info becomes available. I’m guessing I’m in Phase 3 which says late afternoon/evening (no time announced yet) as I still have power.

Timeline: When will Pacific Gas and Electric turn off power in your area?

That KTVU2 website is already lagging.

Contra Costa Co. just got notice that power will be turned off at 8pm as of now, and only lasting until 12:00 noon tomorrow. Just 16 hours, instead of the originally anticipated "for at least a few days."
My folks in Alameda Co. says they won't get power turned off until this evening as well, and again, just until tomorrow afternoon.
For now.

This whole thing is being overblown by local and national news.

From my understanding the length of time down past the wind event will depend on them inspecting the lines before power in that grid area can be turned back on. So much depends on # of customers in that section and workers available to do the inspections. Larger areas and those further out in more rugged terrain could see longer times.

Reactions: jboy210
That KTVU2 website is already lagging.

Contra Costa Co. just got notice that power will be turned off at 8pm as of now, and only lasting until 12:00 noon tomorrow. Just 16 hours, instead of the originally anticipated "for at least a few days."
My folks in Alameda Co. says they won't get power turned off until this evening as well, and again, just until tomorrow afternoon.
For now.

This whole thing is being overblown by local and national news.

PG&E and state gave those estimates. They are both in CYA mode.

PG&E and state gave those estimates. They are both in CYA mode.

I understand that. Not just in CA, can't do anything in America without worries over potential lawsuits. Just the 'murican way.

It's like with any Tesla incident. Take something small, and run wild with it. Even some on this board who detest news media for overblowing Tesla matters have gone a little far with this PG&E outage thing.

From my understanding the length of time down past the wind event will depend on them inspecting the lines before power in that grid area can be turned back on. So much depends on # of customers in that section and workers available to do the inspections. Larger areas and those further out in more rugged terrain could see longer times.

I heard the same thing. And watching them on the news do this it seemed like a slow process. Literally walking the lines

I understand that. Not just in CA, can't do anything in America without worries over potential lawsuits. Just the 'murican way.

It's like with any Tesla incident. Take something small, and run wild with it. Even some on this board who detest news media for overblowing Tesla matters have gone a little far with this PG&E outage thing.

If this is the new norm, people will get used to it. People will see a county being effected do not mean every customer in the county. I am in Alameda county and in my city it is only the homes that are in the hills that seemed to be effected. But, it can mean the people a mile away are without power for a day, and you never even see your lights flicker.

Time to plan for Tesla Solar and 2 days of Powerwalls for your home.
Waiting for our 8kW+2PWs right now. Not that we need it against fires in Phx Az., this trend to shut off utilities will play nicely into Tesla growth. Combine this with increasing security threats on our grids, I just love the insurance against all things gone wrong outside my property.

And it all had better run off the Tesla Energy App or else you've got the stupid system that home buyers won't care for down the road when they sell that home. The thing with Tesla EV dominace could happen with Energy, and they know it.

Waiting for our 8kW+2PWs right now. Not that we need it against fires in Phx Az., this trend to shut off utilities will play nicely into Tesla growth. Combine this with increasing security threats on our grids, I just love the insurance against all things gone wrong outside my property.

And it all had better run off the Tesla Energy App or else you've got the stupid system that home buyers won't care for down the road when they sell that home. The thing with Tesla EV dominace could happen with Energy, and they know it.

Instead of the powerwall I still have my medium size Honda generator I bought for Y2K, remember that. When the grid was going to go down because of the computers would get the dates confused. I haven't run the generator in a decade, so I probably should take it in for a checkup.

I'm just over the hill at Lake Tahoe and we have a different utility (Liberty) which is telling me that they do not plan any shutdowns. I guess the wind is just on the coast and foothills.
Anyway, I have an SMA inverter which has a backup power option (ne Secure Power Supply). It will put out up to 2000 watts through a separate switch and power socket if the grid power is out. I tested this during a short power outage we had last month and it worked great. Ran my fridge and a few other things just fine.

Instead of the powerwall I still have my medium size Honda generator I bought for Y2K, remember that. When the grid was going to go down because of the computers would get the dates confused. I haven't run the generator in a decade, so I probably should take it in for a checkup.

Or you could do this...

10-9-2019 1-53-50 PM.png

Just saw two people today on my local Nextdoor asking about whole house generators. Zero mentions about battery backup or Tesla. So far.

8kW PV + 2 batteries for $30,000 versus $3,000 for an 8kW generator. Not that hard of a choice for many folks I imagine.

Not all homeowners may be able to install a large generator, but also not all homeowners can install PV and battery either. Also, new CA building codes in effect and going into effect 2020 will make it a harder to install battery backups.

Another data point of how overblown this whole PG&E shutoff situation has been: Social media posts from places in UNaffected areas showed water bottle outages at Costco and local grocery stores. As if the water mains are also shut off or people can only drink water from the refrigerator in a power outage.

Last edited:
Just saw two people today on my local Nextdoor asking about whole house generators. Zero mentions about battery backup or Tesla. So far.

8kW PV + 2 batteries for $30,000 versus $3,000 for an 8kW generator. Not that hard of a choice for many folks I imagine.

Not all homeowners may be able to install a large generator, but also not all homeowners can install PV and battery either. Also, new CA building codes in effect and going into effect 2020 will make it a harder to install battery backups.

My generator is enough to run a fridge and charge a few phones. That is enough for me. After all, have not used it in a decade, at our last power outage which I think lasted 2 hours or less.

And I know that solar is required after 2020, but how does the new CA building codes effect installing a powerwall?

Reactions: ChrisJ
Another data point of how overblown this whole PG&E shutoff situation has been: Social media posts from places in UNaffected areas showed water bottle outages at Costco and local grocery stores. As if the water mains are also shut off or people can only drink water from the refrigerator in a power outage.

That is human nature to procrastinate. I wonder how many people are just finally getting around to stocking up on earthquake/emergency supplies they should already have. You know. In the store getting batteries and flashlights, and while I am here I better grab some water bottles and that gas main cutoff wrench that I should have bought years ago.

I also wonder sometimes if Home Depot, Lowes, etc. pushes stuff out on social media and puts pressure on the news channels were they advertise.