TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: Oct 2019 electric utility power shutdowns in various parts of California

Discussion in 'California' started by sceptic, Oct 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

I appreciate the advice, but it's (probably) a more complicated issue than you think it is, and this has been a well-traveled and well-understood, yet frustrating, path for a number of Powerwall owners. It has to do with the AC line frequency and interactions between the Powerwalls, solar inverter, and commonly-available UPSs. Rather than try to explain it (which I probably would do poorly), I'm just going to point to the thread in the Tesla Energy forum where this has been discussed at length.

Powerwall 2 + UPS Connundrum - and solution

I owe that thread an update on some things I learned over the past few days.

Thanks,

Bruce.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. hridge2020

hridge2020 Member

How many people in California , due to wire fires loss power and obtain/got/purchase a power generator?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#103 cwerdna, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    I was a victim of PG&E PSPS. My house was listed as would be affected. Power went at 11:58 pm Wednesday (outage time was a moving target). It came back around 3 pm Thursday. I expected to be w/o power until at least sometime Friday.

No on the latter. But, I did buy a 1000 pure sine wave inverter a few months back and had tested out my setup. I used it all night (on my Bolt, I have no Tesla) from the time I got set up after the outage until I went to work the next morning.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

PG&E has said to expect this to happen again when we get strong winds although they are working to put in some type of device that will allow them to reduce the size of the outage area. Just heard this on a news story on KCBS radio today while in the car. Given the size of the outage this time, have to wonder how many of these devices will be needed. A lot of unnecessary homes/businesses were caught up in this. No one wants to see their area on fire but when it's not even near you and you lose power and all that goes with no electricity, something's very wrong with their infrastructure planning for emergencies like this.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn M3 Silver, M3 Midnight Silver

Apologies for any misunderstanding. This all goes way over my head. All I was indicating is that this doesn't appear to be a universal issue, as I haven't been impacted. I certainly wasn't implying that this isn't affected anyone.
    Thanks for the link :)

• Like x 1
  6. hridge2020

hridge2020 Member

New icons going up down the highways .. lol

power-generator-icon-16.png

7. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

I'll call your 327 watts and 3.2K diesel and raise to 800 watts solar and 7.5 KW quiet diesel generator. Plus, its pulling an electric smart car. :)

Quite literally I think everybody in our town house community is counting on this thing to keep their fridges going if the power goes down for any length of time. There will probably be a lot of extension cords and power sharing involved. :)

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  8. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

My nephew in Oroville just purchased a 20kw unit just because of all the planned power outages

9. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

That's pretty nice. I have a 2000 Honda Insight that I can tow behind my 40 Ft. Airstream with all 4 wheels down. It's a shame you cannot tow electric other than the way you have. I would love to tow our i-Miev, or our Model 3 but I don't want to deal with keeping a trailer around to tow them with. That is a VERY cute trailer though.

10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

#110 FlatSix911, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    I did the same thing for my critical power loads with a 750W inverter connected to the 12V power terminals under the nose cone.

The main Tesla Lithium 400V traction battery can keep the 12V charged for days if required due to an extended power outage. :cool:

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  11. hridge2020

hridge2020 Member

Ordered a Generator..... this has 120/240 volt capacity...

power-generator-icon-16.png DuraMax.jpg

12. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I've thought about doing this. Wasn't sure how much power you could draw from the 12v continuously. I think the 12v inverter can deliver 1000 or 2000 Watts.

Good to see this worked for you.

13. miimura

miimura Active Member

The Model S nosecone terminals have a separate fuse. I'm not sure of the value, but I seem to recall something like 50A. That's only about 600W. You would have to connect to the fatter terminals on the fuse box in a Model S to get more power than that. Refresh Model S has the 12V battery in a more accessible location, so connecting there would make sense.

• Informative x 1
  14. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I've never dug very far into my nosecone Model S to find the battery but that would be the best place to connect.

15. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

#115 jboy210, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    My next door neighbor has an RV like this. I guess I should mention to him to pre-position it in his driveway, with the power outlet unlocked!

16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

I feel un-prepared.

In the case of a power outage I have a ....candle.

• Funny x 2
  17. hridge2020

hridge2020 Member

I have one candle..
    Statue of liberty.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  18. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

#118 FlatSix911, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Correct, the nosecone terminals have a 50A fuse with 600 Watts maximum.

If you want more, connect directly to the battery with 2500W maximum. :cool:

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  19. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

My Feb 2015 nosecone has a different fusebox.
    Battery is presumably buried deep behind these.
    (BTW, I still have the original 12v battery. They must have fixed the problems with the early ones. Fingers crossed to see how long it lasts.)

[​IMG]

20. miimura

miimura Active Member

you picture doesn't show up. Try attaching instead of linking to google.