Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct 2019 electric utility power shutdowns in various parts of California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you picture doesn't show up. Try attaching instead of linking to google.
Aaaarghh! Google Photos #!?
IMG_20191016_093452.jpg

My Feb 2015 nosecone has a different fusebox.
Battery is presumably buried deep behind these.
(BTW, I still have the original 12v battery. They must have fixed the problems with the early ones. Fingers crossed to see how long it lasts.)
yWE8v8U_CP-nAZ0SIWHBNZ986KbKXcTI8IYocjwWxptLhopgOeExb0mVNRXtJrKriUAs9d2yUrhL1W7nwhdYFWmUWSKounLCnFonBMdG7-33xZuYxp8udAyf5kzYrJSzt0FozcXvyaj7NrVTv3doHUIbKWhQd9fsN4dzI6ttf2X0TOoURkhjf-xA2mHd02ddcnfKFRfV6P3zq3dOqu0yRNTd7MJZAi_JApu2sgXjpuW-FctViCcvmZ1Nk50XrmTECqbGPJb1r4atA_mHhNzvxJm90HGx8__oebhtURJTUR-CnT2pX0nNtx_DNB0e4M-N4jEw2BVxxB0DxsQuma9lU58LwW--5SE4kIivUNk6Rv8oWfbYjajFeck4XTq2oazGozBdKBjcBPAE_mv3EyNflCPh3kXXyKLQ5gWM3P4yy7JotNq91_AZB06h171Gp8JAPstFe51BiRyT40JW08F7JiXNYnqoknXRWEETh1-n7dk8Sp_61T1ViaUyCuDCliANpgIdIz5Xhga1Bl8JL05JIdXhGP_FBma5SSo-qMqe8MYYTxgkQNVGCuHvQqZjzL9_aqXOLpIP-ElUdmLBlUIVq6GAC8bMXG8iI75H2jawNVYsaoSp5NxWnror3LPXDh9mD1Ytl3uXVvGwanw-Hq38U5OY818ujf-eRmmXPoEFG-WXkN1EpcnjztU=w1236-h927-no

Aaaarghh! Google Photos #!?
View attachment 466863

Try checking again under the hood... your battery is located under the fuse block on the upper left of the frunk. :cool:

battery-mounted-fusebox-layout2-jpg.466623

Now that we are once again having utility power shutdowns in California, I am making this thread a Sticky for the time being.
I'm likely headed south on Sunday and Monday. Can anyone provide up to date info on which superchargers are not working due to the shutdowns? I'm less concerned about heavily populated areas with many superchargers and more concerned about the rural superchargers. Just don't want to get stranded in Corning or Laytonville or whatever.

I'm likely headed south on Sunday and Monday. Can anyone provide up to date info on which superchargers are not working due to the shutdowns? I'm less concerned about heavily populated areas with many superchargers and more concerned about the rural superchargers. Just don't want to get stranded in Corning or Laytonville or whatever.
The car's screen should have updated information about site availability. Just be sure to check the next Supercharger before you leave the one you're at. That way you can plan ahead and you're only caught off guard if the status changes while you're en-route.

The car's screen should have updated information about site availability. Just be sure to check the next Supercharger before you leave the one you're at. That way you can plan ahead and you're only caught off guard if the status changes while you're en-route.

During the big shutoff earlier this month, Superchargers in the areas with no power were not showing stall occupancy in the Nav (I distinctly remember seeing this for Napa)...as in no white or red rectangles. That might be an indication, but it's not an explicit one.

I would expect that any information as of now (late Thursday afternoon) would be obsolete by the time Sunday/Monday roll around, because there is another high wind event anticipated this weekend, which could trigger a PSPS.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and PLUS EV
During the big shutoff earlier this month, Superchargers in the areas with no power were not showing stall occupancy in the Nav (I distinctly remember seeing this for Napa)...as in no white or red rectangles. That might be an indication, but it's not an explicit one.

I would expect that any information as of now (late Thursday afternoon) would be obsolete by the time Sunday/Monday roll around, because there is another high wind event anticipated this weekend, which could trigger a PSPS.

Bruce.
This information changes by the hour so best to check the nav system as you travel.

Heard on radio just now that the largest area yet in northern California is being turned off tonight (940K people). Some areas are scheduled to shut off as early as this afternoon. KRON4: Power shut offs expected to impact 940,000 customers
Healdsburg and Windsor are now being evacuated near the Kincade Fire.

We just finished up breakfast at a restaurant in the shut off area and the hostess there had no idea another shut down was imminent.

If you live, work or are traveling thru California now please stay informed.

Link to PG&E’s outage map below (use link to check specific address locations as map is not 100% site specific):

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=64ec74b4d46f43eab0cbd813fdc80f4f

We live in general outage area and received Tesla’s alert on the car when we got in it this morning suggesting people fully charge.

Last edited:
Posted from KPIX5 (CBS bay area):

"According to PG&E, the outage timeline is:

• 5 P.M. Saturday, Oct. 26 — Amador, Butte, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, San Joaquin, Sierra, Shasta, Tehama, Yuba
  • 6 P.M. Saturday, Oct. 26 — Colusa, Marin, Mendocino (south), Napa, Solano, Sonoma, Yolo
  • 8 P.M. Saturday, Oct. 26 — Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, San Benito, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Stanislaus
  • 9 P.M. Saturday, Oct. 26 — Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino (north), Siskiyou, Trinity
  • 12:01 A.M. Sunday, Oct. 27 — Alpine, Calaveras, Mariposa, Tuolumne"
Lights Going Out For Millions In Unprecedented Preventive PG&E Power Outages

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=64ec74b4d46f43eab0cbd813fdc80f4f

Information for government agencies, first responders and critical facilities

In advance of or during a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) event, potential outage maps will be available to download on this page. Map files will include PDF, KMZ and shapefiles. For more information, review frequently asked questions.
For the latest information during an event, visit the PSPS event page.
NOTE: Downloadable maps not representing a specific PSPS event are available for planning purposes on our PSPS planning maps page.

upload_2019-10-26_18-40-19.png

Electric Utilities Can’t Blame Wildfires Solely on Climate, Experts Say

Rather than blame changes in the climate, experts say energy utilities should acknowledge their role in creating wildfire risk and seek ways to reduce risk without causing rolling blackouts that affect tens of millions of people.

“PG&E is holding Northern California hostage with its ham-handed, obscenely broad blackout,” state Sen. Scott Wiener, a Democrat from San Francisco, tweeted yesterday afternoon. “Enough is enough. We need structural reform.”

Reactions: Big Earl
Updated maps and timeframes found here...

Given the forecast and conditions, PG&E is advising its customers of the potential for a widespread PSPS lasting several days, intended to prevent a catastrophic wildfire. PG&E’s Safety Action Center is a great information resource for making sure that you, your family, your neighborhood and even your pets are prepared before a wildfire or another emergency: www.safetyactioncenter.pge.com/ As this intense weather event approaches the service area in the next 24 hours, PG&E’s forecasts will offer sharper detail, noting that the scope may continue to change on the number of customers who will be affected. Find updates, resources and more information about how a PSPS works at: www.pge.com/pspsupdates

Electric Utilities Can’t Blame Wildfires Solely on Climate, Experts Say

Rather than blame changes in the climate, experts say energy utilities should acknowledge their role in creating wildfire risk and seek ways to reduce risk without causing rolling blackouts that affect tens of millions of people.

“PG&E is holding Northern California hostage with its ham-handed, obscenely broad blackout,” state Sen. Scott Wiener, a Democrat from San Francisco, tweeted yesterday afternoon. “Enough is enough. We need structural reform.”

Funny coming from a San Francisco politician... SF and other dense urban metropolitan areas are not impacted by the shutdowns. :cool:
I am definitely not a fan of PG&E, but the primary reason for the catastrophic fire danger is the change in CA forest management policy to not remove dead brush with controlled burns in high-risk areas.

Funny coming from a San Francisco politician... SF and other dense urban metropolitan areas are not impacted by the shutdowns. :cool:
I am definitely not a fan of PG&E, but the primary reason for the catastrophic fire danger is the change in CA forest management policy to not remove dead brush with controlled burns in high-risk areas.
I think the article points out that there are several "primary reasons" for the fire danger. Yes, forest management policy is one but development within the forest is another and lack of attention to proper electric infrastructure is a third. PG&E as a private, for profit entity has prioritized profits over investment in critical infrastructure. They could do a lot more to keep their power lines from starting fires and they could develop local grids but this costs money and eats into profits.

Reactions: Big Earl and bmah