TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: Oct 2019 electric utility power shutdowns in various parts of California

Discussion in 'California' started by sceptic, Oct 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Moderator note: pleas keep this thread focused on the topic of the current grid shutdowns and how to deal with the a lack of power and charging our cars, and not about the root causes of the shutdowns. If you want to discuss that issue, please start a thread in the Off Topi

2. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

The power at my cabin in Twain Harte went out after midnight. This morning I was reading my email (on my phone, thanks to AT&T not going dark) and people on the NextDoor site had posted about how PG&E was taking revenge for all the lawsuits they suffered. I was unable to run my Keurig so I decided to drive home. Finally answered the question "Why does the Chevron near our cabin have SO MANY solar panels" as they were the only business open until I got to Oakdale, halfway home to the Bay Area. Sadly they were sold out of breakfast wraps.

IMG_2386.JPG

But it was really pretty bad out there. Like driving thru Afghanistan, without the machine guns. It got so bad driving thru Manteca the freeway slowed to 5 MPH as you could not see where the road went. I have NEVER been in this kind of weather, bad rain, and snowstorms, but this was one of the worst winds storms I have been in. I'll have to go by the airport and see if any planes flipped.

So I'm happy with PG&E's decision, it will be interesting to see how it is portrayed after the fact.

• Informative x 3
  3. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

This website can be useful for finding areas affected with power shutdown in Northern California:

PG&E Outage Map

• Funny x 1
  4. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#144 SMAlset, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  5. SMAlset

6. SMAlset

7. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Crazy week in Marin County. Like others, I found charging in SF with Chargepoint at City parking lots. Another secret was to find the EV chargers outside of County Agencies that still had power. We made do.

8. Randy Spencer

Listening to KQEDs Forum about alternatives to the grid:
    October's Power Shutoffs Prompt Interest in Getting off the Grid

They only passingly mentioned the PowerWall

One caller talked about a system of V2G he is getting from Canada, a ~$3000-$6000 inverter that takes power both from his Solar Panels and his car. They didn't let him say who make it but I would love to be able to power my house from one of my many EVs. Anyone know what this equipment might be?

9. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

The car also has to support V2G/V2H, so presumably you'd need to have a LEAF as Nissan is the only production EV maker that I've heard of doing this so far.

10. Randy Spencer

#150 Randy Spencer, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Apparently it wasn't just me that was interested in this product, another GGEVA member at today's meeting brought it up and apparently other members know the caller. He was apparently referring to the company Ossiaco: Power will never be the same.

The $6000 solar inverter comes with a CCS combo or ChaDEmo cord to charge and retrieve charge from your car using DC. Cool. Too bad it doesn't come with many specs or a circuit diagram.

11. SMAlset

#151 SMAlset, Nov 19, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:47 PM
    For Wednesday, 11/20/2019:

Looks like the northern part of the SFBay area and above and some counties to the east are in for another power shut down due to dry conditions with low moisture and strong winds. So far no times listed but the counties and cities to be involved have been identified. Always possible additions or subtractions to the list.

Here’s the PG&E site to check: Public Safety Power Shutoff Event

• Informative x 2
  12. SMAlset

#152 SMAlset, Nov 20, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019 at 6:38 AM
    Looks like a shut down is imminent for those counties some starting in half-hour into later today. If you are traveling on business in these areas be aware of this before heading in especially if low on charge.

Here's a summary. Check the site for more info and you can check by address for a more precise breakdown. Having been through one, I feel for you guys involved.

Handy links:
    For more info from PG&E: Public Safety Power Shutoff Event
    Checking Address: Public Safety and Power Shutdown
    Checking Restoration times: You are being redirected...

North Bay/North Coast Counties: 7 a.m. -- Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Solano, portions of Sonoma, Yolo

Central Sierra Foothills Counties: 7 a.m. -- Amador, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sierra, Yuba

North Valley (northern area) Counties: 8 a.m. -- Shasta, and portions of Tehama

North Valley (southern area) Counties: 9 a.m. -- Glenn

Northern Sierra Foothills Counties: 4 p.m. -- Butte, Plumas, portions of Tehama, portions of Yuba

Sonoma County: 4 p.m.

---

If you live or are driving through these areas and are aware of Superchargers locations without power, please post here in this Master thread to keep others informed:

MASTER THREAD: post here if you know that a Supercharger is down due to utility power shutdowns

• Informative x 1