Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct 2019 electric utility power shutdowns in various parts of California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The power at my cabin in Twain Harte went out after midnight. This morning I was reading my email (on my phone, thanks to AT&T not going dark) and people on the NextDoor site had posted about how PG&E was taking revenge for all the lawsuits they suffered. I was unable to run my Keurig so I decided to drive home. Finally answered the question "Why does the Chevron near our cabin have SO MANY solar panels" as they were the only business open until I got to Oakdale, halfway home to the Bay Area. Sadly they were sold out of breakfast wraps.

IMG_2386.JPG

But it was really pretty bad out there. Like driving thru Afghanistan, without the machine guns. It got so bad driving thru Manteca the freeway slowed to 5 MPH as you could not see where the road went. I have NEVER been in this kind of weather, bad rain, and snowstorms, but this was one of the worst winds storms I have been in. I'll have to go by the airport and see if any planes flipped.

So I'm happy with PG&E's decision, it will be interesting to see how it is portrayed after the fact.

Listening to KQEDs Forum about alternatives to the grid:
October's Power Shutoffs Prompt Interest in Getting off the Grid

They only passingly mentioned the PowerWall

One caller talked about a system of V2G he is getting from Canada, a ~$3000-$6000 inverter that takes power both from his Solar Panels and his car. They didn't let him say who make it but I would love to be able to power my house from one of my many EVs. Anyone know what this equipment might be?

Listening to KQEDs Forum about alternatives to the grid:
October's Power Shutoffs Prompt Interest in Getting off the Grid

They only passingly mentioned the PowerWall

One caller talked about a system of V2G he is getting from Canada, a ~$3000-$6000 inverter that takes power both from his Solar Panels and his car. They didn't let him say who make it but I would love to be able to power my house from one of my many EVs. Anyone know what this equipment might be?
The car also has to support V2G/V2H, so presumably you'd need to have a LEAF as Nissan is the only production EV maker that I've heard of doing this so far.

Apparently it wasn't just me that was interested in this product, another GGEVA member at today's meeting brought it up and apparently other members know the caller. He was apparently referring to the company Ossiaco: Power will never be the same.

The $6000 solar inverter comes with a CCS combo or ChaDEmo cord to charge and retrieve charge from your car using DC. Cool. Too bad it doesn't come with many specs or a circuit diagram.

Last edited:
For Wednesday, 11/20/2019:

Looks like the northern part of the SFBay area and above and some counties to the east are in for another power shut down due to dry conditions with low moisture and strong winds. So far no times listed but the counties and cities to be involved have been identified. Always possible additions or subtractions to the list.

Here’s the PG&E site to check: Public Safety Power Shutoff Event

Last edited:
Looks like a shut down is imminent for those counties some starting in half-hour into later today. If you are traveling on business in these areas be aware of this before heading in especially if low on charge.

Here's a summary. Check the site for more info and you can check by address for a more precise breakdown. Having been through one, I feel for you guys involved.

Handy links:
For more info from PG&E: Public Safety Power Shutoff Event
Checking Address: Public Safety and Power Shutdown
Checking Restoration times: You are being redirected...

North Bay/North Coast Counties: 7 a.m. -- Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Solano, portions of Sonoma, Yolo

Central Sierra Foothills Counties: 7 a.m. -- Amador, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sierra, Yuba

North Valley (northern area) Counties: 8 a.m. -- Shasta, and portions of Tehama

North Valley (southern area) Counties: 9 a.m. -- Glenn

Northern Sierra Foothills Counties: 4 p.m. -- Butte, Plumas, portions of Tehama, portions of Yuba

Sonoma County: 4 p.m.

---

If you live or are driving through these areas and are aware of Superchargers locations without power, please post here in this Master thread to keep others informed:

MASTER THREAD: post here if you know that a Supercharger is down due to utility power shutdowns

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
As everyone (in CA) is aware, there was the possibility of PSPS the last couple of days. I live on the CA East Side, and our electricity provider is SCE rather than PG&E, but we have had PSPS events as well. I was planning to travel to the Sacramento area during the proposed PSPS event, and was planning ahead for charge locations still operational and close enough to the foothills so I would have adequate range to get over the Sierra.

The PSPS didn't happen this time, but I stopped in Placerville to top off the tank before heading over, and Tesla had a large flatbed trailer parked there with 2 Superchargers and some other equipment. I plugged in, and a Tesla staffer came over from the trailer (real nice person, didn't get his name), and I learned that the chargers on the trailer were portable Superchargers, and that the 'equipment' on the trailer was actually commercial scale electricity storage, and that he had 1 mWh of electricity available if the PSPS occurred, deliverable via the 2 portable Superchargers.

I wasn't aware that Tesla was providing this service, but it certainly goes above and beyond in terms of customer service.

I learned that the chargers on the trailer were portable Superchargers, and that the 'equipment' on the trailer was actually commercial scale electricity storage, and that he had 1 mWh of electricity available if the PSPS occurred, deliverable via the 2 portable Superchargers.
Wow. That’s impressive! I would have liked to see a photo of that setup.