Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Mounts in the Model 3;

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a fan, but I think a skinnier piece of metal would make it look better. With the phone installed, I'm sure it looks much better too, But alone, it doesn't seem to match with the squared silver exposed.

The silver bar looks out of place. Maybe get rid of the screw holes on the 2 sides, paint it red or black, vinyl tape (or engrave) TESLA logo on it?

tesla_logo.JPG

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Since it's mounted with command strips I wanted it to be relatively large so there was more surface area available for adhesion. The strips are easily removable and leave no residue or discoloration but very secure. To me it looks better than a big plastic suction cup thingy.

I get the message that the visuals aren't right yet. When I get around to it I'll see what I can do to color the aluminum to match the plastic screen cover. From the driver's perspective it is vary low profile and not visible at all when the phone is in place.

Reactions: P85_DA
Ermm.....that looks o.o

There are sticky mounts that can do the same thing. I use an iOttie XL from my previous cars. If you put the suction cup behind the screen you can mount it in the same way the guy above did.

This is one potential position to minimize distraction and easily wire any power cables to the phone. Although its positioning isn't much better than the current dock position.
20181011_224140.jpg

I ended setttling mounting on the dash trim here (you can kinda see the mount point and the relative position to my driver view. The phone + mount does not remove any visibility from the windshield (Samsung Galaxy Note 8), and is not blocked by the steering wheel but remains within the dash profile. The only thing is, that I found myself not even needing my phone since the Model 3 screen works well enough for all my needs.
20181021_180440.jpg

Are you able to rotate that phone on that mount to face up more?

You can rotate the phone mount in any direction you want (it has separate ball that allows for multiple degrees of freedom at the mount itself that allows full rotation, tilt, swivel to adjust etc.). The main impact is whether the phone is obscured by other objects (steering wheel etc.) or blocking airflow.

Ermm.....that looks o.o

There are sticky mounts that can do the same thing. I use an iOttie XL from my previous cars. If you put the suction cup behind the screen you can mount it in the same way the guy above did.

This is one potential position to minimize distraction and easily wire any power cables to the phone. Although its positioning isn't much better than the current dock position.
View attachment 348553

I ended setttling mounting on the dash trim here (you can kinda see the mount point and the relative position to my driver view. The phone + mount does not remove any visibility from the windshield (Samsung Galaxy Note 8), and is not blocked by the steering wheel but remains within the dash profile. The only thing is, that I found myself not even needing my phone since the Model 3 screen works well enough for all my needs.
View attachment 348554
you may need an anti-fingerprint screen protector.;)

I finally decided to do a Video review of my ProClip installation by showing how Siri can work really nicely in the Model 3. It was the main reason I decided to no longer use the Cubby for the phone.

The Cubby issues are:
Face ID will mostly fail
GPS can be weak (it varies a lot)
Hard to do an iPhone X (home swipe)
Can be hard to see.
Can be hard to reach or operate.

The ProClip solves all those issues.

The cubby lid will hit the phone holder, but you can just swivel it away.
CAUTION Do not install the ProClip in the "Seam" on top, it goes on top of the Chrome (essentially in the cubby).

I had also tried the mounting off the screen, as many folks have and wasn't happy with any of the choices (I tried some).

Portrait Top Left of Screen, phone is blocked partially by steering wheel. Awkward to operate.
Landscape on Top is to high and can block road view and I don't really care for Landscape.
Landscape on bottom causes cubby door to hit (if mounted from back of screen).
Mounted with suction on cubby lid also knocks out access to cubby.

I did consider a Cup Holder Mount but I really don't want to lose a cup holder.

I decided ProClip is a reasonable location of where they chose to put it.

I did have wireless charging working on the ProClip but the dirt cheap Chinese wireless charger I bought just went bye bye.
There is plenty of room to mount a wireless charger. I liked the one I chose because it was similar to the other interior colors/texture. No bling bling either. The reviews warned me on reliability, but I ignored them.

45889000335_6526d15021_h_d.jpg

45889000375_8e0b6c745e_h_d.jpg

Ermm.....that looks o.o

View attachment 348553

View attachment 348554
Since you have used this mount for quite from time, how is the sticky gel on the suction cup holding up in high temp seasons, has the sticky gel disintegrated or gotten transferred permanently to the back the scree?

Since you have used this mount for quite from time, how is the sticky gel on the suction cup holding up in high temp seasons, has the sticky gel disintegrated or gotten transferred permanently to the back the scree?

I actually stopped using it after a while so mostly just using it on standard tesla dock. I was thinking of putting it back on though.

In terms of high temperature from previous cars. I've used the same suction cup on the following:
2012-2015 Volt - Had it fall off once a year but generally stayed on without residue for each year.
2015 - 2018 Spark EV - Stayed on pretty well for 2+ years

For the 1st 2, works fine on the hard plastic on the dashboard. On my wife C300 I put it directly on the windshield which did not do well. Melted pretty badly.

I actually stopped using it after a while so mostly just using it on standard tesla dock. I was thinking of putting it back on though.

In terms of high temperature from previous cars. I've used the same suction cup on the following:
2012-2015 Volt - Had it fall off once a year but generally stayed on without residue for each year.

For the 1st 2, works fine on the hard plastic on the dashboard. On my wife C300 I put it directly on the windshield which did not do well. Melted pretty badly.
Thanks for the feedback, I am afraid that the gel will eventually transfer or etch the back surface of the screen. I haven't been able to find alternatives that don't have the gel.

Since I have the SR+ M3, I need to use my phone for traffic information, another software option that I would gladly pay for.

Thanks for the feedback, I am afraid that the gel will eventually transfer or etch the back surface of the screen. I haven't been able to find alternatives that don't have the gel.

Since I have the SR+ M3, I need to use my phone for traffic information, another software option that I would gladly pay for.

I’ve looked around and can’t really find the phone mount that I’m looking for. I’ve seen the suction cup, the cup holder ones, the magnetic mounts and the a/c vent mounts. I design products for other industries in a daily basis and I’m not really impressed with any of the available options. I feel like no one is really trying hard enough to make a proper solution for this. Maybe I’m being too picky, I just want a better phone mount experience in this revolutionary car. I hope that’s not too much to ask for. I would like to see if the community might know better than what I’ve found on my own, otherwise I might have to make my own bespoke phone mount.

Reactions: Yang_H