Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although you can do that (just like you can do the same with the J1772 based adapter in Hyundai), that of course is not the official Ford solution that the article was talking about.
True. But external inverter approaches are kind of redundant, if the truck already has an inverter.

Although, it would be neat to try and get one to work with our cars through CCS.

Tesla pickup will need to offer significant mains power out to be competitive with Rivian. Musk seems to think a lot about investor attention Rivian has recieved.

The Nissan Leaf power out capability will also drive Tesla to do better in this area. I am sure Musk is hearing a lot about power out considering the PG&E electricity cutoffs in California.
I find it disturbing that many replies refer to "Musk" the person rather than Tesla the company as being the source of product improvements like power out. If this is the case, then that's not an optimal way for a Tesla to maintain it's leadership role in EVs.

I find it disturbing that many replies refer to "Musk" the person rather than Tesla the company as being the source of product improvements like power out. If this is the case, then that's not an optimal way for a Tesla to maintain it's leadership role in EVs.
The problem is that he still seems to be making the (bad) decisions at Tesla. The sooner they can get him out the better

Its the way people assess leadership in general. Tesla does something they agree with and look at all the geniuses they've hire (definitely not that Musk guy). Tesla does something they disagree with, and they should get rid of Musk because he only makes bad decisions.

Its not totally unfair to assess leadership like this, but the assessments often have a very obvious lack of depth.

I ran 700w or so direct from the DC DC converter connection under the rear seat in the model 3/Y. I think you can put a fairly large inverter there. But, as mentioned earlier, the inrush current to charge the inverter caps when the car wakes up may trigger the over current protection and cause the car to shutdown. A precharge circuit or xt90as connectors are required.

In the old model S, you could go direct to the battery. I don't think it's a good idea in the 3/Y or the new S/x. Although, I was able to pull 1400w for a short period from the 16v battery jump terminals in the new S. I'm going to try the audio amp power circuit next for a smaller inverter.
Would an xt90as connector to the portable inverter be enough to stop the error messages in the vehicle? I assumed that I'd need to build a precharge circuit.

People do that because it appears the only public way feedback gets listened to is when someone tweets Musk and somehow gets Musk to respond that a feature suggestion might be worth pursuing. Tesla fired their PR department, and there doesn't seem to be other apparent ways feedback gets filtered back to the company.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and Rocky_H
That's great! Does it complain if you leave the inverter connected and the car goes to sleep and then wakes up?
I haven't tried that but will do in the next few days, I'll let you know.

I only tried some power tools from the garage and they worked with no problems. 90A is more than enough for anything I'd need as it would only be for emergency power outages to keep the fridge or freezer going.

I did wonder if you can add a transfer switch to an electrical panel and then plug the car into that to run a few circuits like water pump and fridge freezer.

These small connectors have high current rating at very high temperature (200C) which is way too hot to touch and potentially unsafe (e.g. any soldered connection would melt). So, the realistic current is much lower.
Not sure what you mean. We run them on ebikes with soldered wires and the solder does not melt at those currents. But, if you want to push high currents, use the QS8.

Not sure what you mean. We run them on ebikes with soldered wires and the solder does not melt at those currents. But, if you want to push high currents, use the QS8.
That could be due to various factors such as ebikes probably don't run continuously at the max current. The situation for an inverter running household loads can be quite different. It's safer to pick connectors based on continuous current rating at lower temperatures (<150C).