Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds liike it would be a bad idea but the more I thought about it the more sense it makes, the battery is connected directly to the converter on the model S as far as I could tell because you can get like 500a from the posts just before the battery, could the same be done on the model 3 and remove the need for audio installs/120v inverters to have resistors/time delay relays/200a relays etc.

Does anyone who knows about this have a good technical based reason as to why that cant be done?

Sounds liike it would be a bad idea but the more I thought about it the more sense it makes, the battery is connected directly to the converter on the model S as far as I could tell because you can get like 500a from the posts just before the battery, could the same be done on the model 3 and remove the need for audio installs/120v inverters to have resistors/time delay relays/200a relays etc.

Does anyone who knows about this have a good technical based reason as to why that cant be done?
This is a Model 3 thread. The electrical architecture is completely different than the classic Model S, which essentially does have the 12V battery connected straight to the DC-DC converter.

See this post for the explanation why you can't / shouldn't do that with a Model 3.

Well thats why I was asking about connecting the penthouse to the battery directly....Because its a model 3 thread and I was asking about the model 3.

I dont see any information of relevance on the post you referenced or did I miss them explaining why you cant connect the two?

Well thats why I was asking about connecting the penthouse to the battery directly....Because its a model 3 thread and I was asking about the model 3.

I dont see any information of relevance on the post you referenced or did I miss them explaining why you cant connect the two?
You didn't specifically mention the penthouse in the post that I quoted. I get what you're asking now. You SHOULD NOT make a new connection between the battery and the penthouse 12V terminals. The Model 3 electrical architecture is designed to charge and discharge the 12V battery through the VC_Front controller. If you want to add a high current load, you need to take it directly from the Penthouse terminals.

Reactions: TFSMotorsport
I did say connecting the battery directly to the converter as it is on the model S.

Ok so what would happen if someone did? What is the reason to not do it other than "because Tesla didnt do it", it seems to me that the car can be jump started "if that applies here" with the electrical system of another car in an emergency because that we can assume is well within the design although the car will freak out and show error codes, if however you connect it to the 12v from the penthouse it does not throw error codes and seems happy.

I just wondered why other people havent done it, that there must be a very simple and obvious technical reason why it wouldnt be done because all these timers/resistors/extra battery/relays/solenoids whatever it is you use to stop the car from throwing error codes must surely have good reason.

It didnt seem to cover that case and it doesnt throw codes but thank you for your input.
The video mentions in 7 minutes in fairly clearly that the mosfets switch the PCS and 12V battery connection independently. If you connect the two upstream, then that defeats the purpose (in cases where only one is switched off).

Also if the controller is doing any sort of voltage conversion or current control (I didn't watch it in full) that is also gone if you connect the two upstream. Essentially the PCS could directly charge the 12V (or even discharge if there is no reverse current protection and the voltage of PCS was lower) and there may not be control.

Last edited:
I did say connecting the battery directly to the converter as it is on the model S.

Ok so what would happen if someone did? What is the reason to not do it other than "because Tesla didnt do it", it seems to me that the car can be jump started "if that applies here" with the electrical system of another car in an emergency because that we can assume is well within the design although the car will freak out and show error codes, if however you connect it to the 12v from the penthouse it does not throw error codes and seems happy.

I just wondered why other people havent done it, that there must be a very simple and obvious technical reason why it wouldnt be done because all these timers/resistors/extra battery/relays/solenoids whatever it is you use to stop the car from throwing error codes must surely have good reason.

If you bypass the VC_FRONT on the model 3 then you may risk damaging the 12V battery over time due to overcharging/mischarging as the system may no longer be able to modulate/control the charging process. The model 3 DC-DC converter can output up to 15V which should not be applied to AGM batteries for extended period.

Reactions: TFSMotorsport
Yes I see.

There also seems to be another way to avoid having the relay/solenoid/etc which is to permanently run the trigger/remote wire to the amplifier from the 12v frunk battery, i havent measured how much drain that would take from the battery but because the amp will have the main feed disconnected when the converter switches off i wouldnt expect it to be much.

Thanks for the info. What do you guys think would be the most efficient way for me to recharge this portable battery with the Model 3?

I'm just guessing based on the listing. There is only a single DC input for charging. You should be able to charge it from the 12V power socket in the console. It says that takes 8-9 hours. If you look at the AC adapter that came with it, you could use a DC boost converter to match the output voltage. That should allow you to charge in the same 5-6 hours as the included AC adapter without using an inverter. Since it's a 560Wh battery and the AC charger takes 5-6 hours, that means that it's less than 100W charging. That can be supported by the 12V power socket, even if you have to boost the voltage to get that charging rate.

If it's 24VDC output from the AC adapter, this is the kind of boost converter you would want to use.

We are experiencing very heavy rain and largest flood since 2011. We are told that we could loose power at any time.

My question:
If I fully charge my Tesla now, what are the possible ways I could utilize the power stored in the car in case of black out? (I have other petrol cars to drive around.)