Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla-submarine-car-james-bond.jpg

In case of a blackout you can use your Tesla to drive away to someplace else, or to watch videos inside the car. You could use the headlights to shine some light. Maybe you could blast some music from it with the windows open. It is not meant to power outside devices and it is specified that it can void the warranty if attempted. Much of the car's value is in the batteries and if you muck with them you're on your own.

It would have been really cool if all Teslas had a 120V outlet installed somewhere…I’ve always wondered what the argument against would be.

To answer the question though, if you have a closed in garage, you could crank up the AC and hang out in the space for a few hours.

• Disagree
Reactions: TomT
It would have been really cool if all Teslas had a 120V outlet installed somewhere…I’ve always wondered what the argument against would be.

To answer the question though, if you have a closed in garage, you could crank up the AC and hang out in the space for a few hours.
Hold up. The car's AC moves heat from inside the car, to outside the car. You cannot cool a garage by running the AC on the car.

Hold up. The car's AC moves heat from inside the car, to outside the car. You cannot cool a garage by running the AC on the car.
Ah that’s right. I did not think that through. That’s what I get for solutioning without caffeine.

I have left the heat on HI for an hour and that left the garage nice and toasty….but nope, won’t work the other way around.

We are experiencing very heavy rain and largest flood since 2011. We are told that we could loose power at any time.

My question:
If I fully charge my Tesla now, what are the possible ways I could utilize the power stored in the car in case of black out? (I have other petrol cars to drive around.)
Sure. Just hook up an inverter to the DC-DC converter under the rear seat. Look at past posts in this thread to see how others have done it.

Reactions: FalconFour
A bit of interesting news regarding the proposed charging standards for V2G (Vehicle to Grid) with J1772 or CCS connectors,
but not CHAdeMO and/or Tesla connectors.

Due to this growing number of Plug and Charge capable vehicles, and the increasing number of commercial EVs with V2G capabilities, the CEC is recommending charging providers pursue ISO 15118-ready DC chargers immediately, and AC chargers in late 2022 or 2023, as they will require a longer transition. According to the docket, the CEC’s recommendations only apply to chargers with a J1772 or CCS connector and not CHAdeMO and/or Tesla connectors. That being said, the CEC is monitoring the market to ensure it can support further deployments for vehicles that do not use CCS.

1646123865597.png

Last edited:
Yeah, watch the F150 Lightning ads.
Looks like Ford has developed an affordable bi-directional charging station for their F-150 pickup truck.

"Now Ford has officially launched the ‘Ford Charge Station Pro,’ which acts as both a charging station and bi-directional charger... that’s significantly more expensive than your average home charger, for example, Tesla’s popular Wall Connector is only $550, the Ford Charge Station Pro is not your average wall charger. First off, it is rated at 80 amp, twice the capacity of the average charger, and it enables Ford’s Intelligent Backup Power bi-directional charging capacity.

With 80 amps of max current, Ford says that the charging station can add 30 miles of range per hour to the F-150 Lightning Extended Range and it is limited to 19 miles per hour for F-150 Standard Range. The other way, the system can provide up to 9.6 kW to your home when combined with Ford’s Home Integration System during the installation."

Screen-Shot-2022-03-01-at-6.27.19-AM.jpg

Keep in mind that there is additional equipment necessary to enable the "Intelligent Backup Power" feature. The Ford Charge Station Pro is not the only thing required. We don't yet know what all is included in Ford's "Home Integration System" that will be sold by Sunpower, how much that hardware will cost, and how much installation labor will typically cost.

This EVSE alone, without the additional equipment, will be equivalent to a Tesla Gen2 Wall Connector, delivering up to 80A to charge a vehicle.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
Keep in mind that there is additional equipment necessary to enable the "Intelligent Backup Power" feature. The Ford Charge Station Pro is not the only thing required. We don't yet know what all is included in Ford's "Home Integration System" that will be sold by Sunpower, how much that hardware will cost, and how much installation labor will typically cost.

This EVSE alone, without the additional equipment, will be equivalent to a Tesla Gen2 Wall Connector, delivering up to 80A to charge a vehicle.
Correct per the article...

"With 80 amps of max current, Ford says that the charging station can add 30 miles of range per hour to the F-150 Lightning Extended Range and it is limited to 19 miles per hour for F-150 Standard Range. The other way, the system can provide up to 9.6 kW to your home when combined with Ford’s Home Integration System during the installation."

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
GM is testing V2H with their new vehicles ... Tesla needs to get with the program.

Here PG&E and GM released more details about the pilot program:
"PG&E and GM aim to test the pilot’s first vehicle-to-home capable EV and charger by summer 2022. The pilot will include the use of bidirectional hardware coupled with software-defined communications protocols that will enable power to flow from a charged EV into a customer’s home, automatically coordinating between the EV, home and PG&E’s electric supply. The pilot will include multiple GM EVs."
"Following lab testing, PG&E and GM plan to test vehicle-to-home interconnection allowing a small subset of customers’ homes to safely receive power from the EV when power stops flowing from the electric grid. Through this field demonstration, PG&E and GM aim to develop a user-friendly vehicle-to-home customer experience for this new technology. Both teams are working quickly to scale the pilot with the goal of opening larger customer trials by the end of 2022."

I have a couple of electric devices, coffee maker, laser printer, that draw around 1500 watts peak, especially at startup. Is there any way to tap into my Model 3 battery to power such devices when I am out camping, for example?

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
I have a couple of electric devices, coffee maker, laser printer, that draw around 1500 watts peak, especially at startup. Is there any way to tap into my Model 3 battery to power such devices when I am out camping, for example?

Thanks!

Yes, but it voids the warranty and involves some wiring, additional equipment and electrical knowledge.

Here is good thread explaining what is, in my opinion, the best approach:

How many amps can you get from the 12V system for emergency situations?

Is there anything stopping us from plugging a small 12v inverter into the cigarette lighter or directly to the 12v battery to power some small <1800 watt load? Would the HV battery keep the 12v charged automatically?
Not a problem if you connect directly to the 12V battery and keep the load under 1KW... the HV battery will recharge the 12V battery as needed.

Skim this thread if you would like a more detailed explaination.