Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not clear to me how to buy the Premium LTE vs the Stanford that I assume comes with the car. I ordered the Model 3 MidRange - should arrive any day now. I heard the Premium Connectivity will cost about $100/year but its not clear how I would buy it. Also, any thoughts on rearward experience of Standard v Premium Connectivity are welcome. Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Bigdaddy
I notice the Model 3 website has very few mentions of "premium connectivity" - basically the internet connection that allows the car to display real-time traffic as well as stream music and use the unusable internet browser.

It was previously the case that the "premium" interior came with one year of premium connectivity (except for cars purchased prior to June 2018, which got lifetime), after which point $100/yr would be required to maintain the traffic and music streaming and browser.

With the introduction of the new standard and partial premium interiors, there is no mention of the connectivity-related premium interior features requiring subscription after one year. Previously it used to say "premium connectivity for one year." Now the website seems to use the connectivity features as major points of differentiation between Partial Premium and Premium interior options.

I'm wondering whether something has changed - is premium connectivity now permanent and free? Or am I going to have to pay $100 in July?

Reactions: house9 and Dan_A
The 6/30/18 cutoff was a demand lever to make people order their cars with so-called lifetime premium connectivity. As mentioned above Tesla doesn’t mention the one year or subscription anymore on the configurator.

Tesla obviously doesn’t even have the system and code in place to take the subscription. Come July 2019 no one will be charged and no one’s premium connectivity gets disabled. You’ve heard it here first.

The 6/30/18 cutoff was a demand lever to make people order their cars with so-called lifetime premium connectivity. As mentioned above Tesla doesn’t mention the one year or subscription anymore on the configurator.

Tesla obviously doesn’t even have the system and code in place to take the subscription. Come July 2019 no one will be charged and no one’s premium connectivity gets disabled. You’ve heard it here first.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you are correct. Tesla is so disorganized.

Tesla says allot of things that never come true. I was told my friend would get a free wall connector for using his referral to order my performance 3. Well he never got it and I have several emails now stating that my upgrade to performance didn't count. I called customer service BEFORE using his referral link to upgrade and they told me upgrade qualifies him for a wall connector and me for free unlimited supercharging, yet he has no wall connector or referral credit even though I upgraded through his referral link. Straight up lies.

Reactions: Led Jetson

Exactly what I was thinking when I started the thread. Originally concocted as a revenue stream but likely abandoned due to lack of resources for implementation. Makes more sense to put effort into getting AP/FSD activations...

Given that the features enabled by "Premium Connectivity" (satellite maps, live traffic navigation, music streaming) are pretty much the only meaningful differences between "Partial Premium Interior" and "Premium Interior", my guess is that they have scrapped the subscription model at least for the cars with "Premium Interior" (incl. all that have been sold so far).

Given the Model S, first out in 2012, was only supposed to get 4 years of data free, and it's 2019 and nobody has gotten a bill yet, this is hardly a controversial prediction :)

Reactions: Doutt
If/when SpaceX gets its satellite internet system operational, one would assume Tesla cars will be a customer. Presumably at that time Tesla will be able to sharply cut its current costs for the internet and perhaps eliminate the need to charge Tesla customers for the Internet. But I wouldn’t bet they have forgotten about charging for the Internet in the meantime. (BTW just as batteries may be the key to Tesla profitability, I would think Starlink has the potential to be a huge money maker for SpaceX, if they can pay for the upfront cost of all of the thousands of tiny satellites.)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
If/when SpaceX gets its satellite internet system operational, one would assume Tesla cars will be a customer. Presumably at that time Tesla will be able to sharply cut its current costs for the internet and perhaps eliminate the need to charge Tesla customers for the Internet. But I wouldn’t bet they have forgotten about charging for the Internet in the meantime.

IIRC the system they're using requires an antenna the size of a pizza box, so probably won't be used in cars (certainly not existing ones)