Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much do y’all think cold affects total capacity? I’m at 295 for 1 year old awd around 8000 miles, measured at 40F

Quite a bit. My ‘19 Model 3 has been hanging out in much colder than usual temps in the last couple thousand miles, and it lost about 10 rated miles of range (over 3%). This used to happen with my Model S too, but it regained some of that range when it consistently got warmer again.

Here’s my Model 3’s estimated 100% range over its lifetime mileage, currently sitting at around 290 RM @ 30,000 miles on the odo (blue line is mine, green is Teslafi’s fleet):

DE229546-711F-43A5-8893-B835905A2CC2.jpeg

I bought my model 3 AWD long range last December and mileage now is 13000miles.

Recently. I found my car's driving range suddenly drop and Wh/mi raises a lot. Now, every time I charge my car to 80%, I can only drive less than 100 miles when battery percentage reaches 30% which means the full charge of battery can only run 200miles. I didn't change my driving habit and I even drive more smoothly and keep constant speed on the highway. I used to get 220~230 wh/mi when drive 65 miles/hr on the highway and now jump to 290 wh/mi. and for every 30~32kWH battery conumption shown on the touchscreen. it shows around 50% battery consumption(80% to 30%). it looks like another 13-15KWh battery is totally gone. The number is very constant no matter how I drive my car recently.

1. On late Novemeber, I reprot this issue to Tesla and make appointment for the service. I received an software update at the same day. The wh/mi issue is gone. I can acheive around 220wh/mi at the local again. But, the battery issue is still there, the overall range can boost to 240miles but still 20% short of ~300miles that I can drive at the first couple months.

2. The technician claims my battery is "full healthy" but don't give me any explaination what my car full range is suddenly reduced and only provide a range support link which is not helpful. I adress very clearly in email to him that the range loss is based on my drving experience at the first couple months and compare with recent days. He just give a very offical answer that if anything wrong my car will let me know. He sends me a range report which is nothing to do with battery health. And tell me there no report for battery health but tell me at the same time he runs full diagnostics on my battery and my battery is full health. Is there anyway that I can ask for a repport of my battery retention rate and how can I know if there is any defective battery in my car?

3. Around the date sevrice end, I receive an update again. Wh/mi increaes back to 290 wh/mi again at the same place same highway I drive. I cannot belive it. is it some sort of cheating??

I attach picture below. I charged my car to 80% and in picture it is 40%. so it looks like full battery is 60kWh(which should be 75kWh for long range) and full range would only be 200miles or less. I know part of reason is wh/mi which software makes the motor efficiecy degraded but I don't know why software did that to my car.

I am trying to make second appointment with Tesla but I am afraid they will push me back like first time. I will be really appreciated if anyone have similar exoperince can share with me or any tool can examine battery health myself

Thanks

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_9977.JPG
    IMG_9977.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 66
Colder temperatures can easily increase Wh/mile by 30% (basically use of cabin heat).

Your 30-32kWh spent for 50% battery might not be so out of whack - assuming the car started at 77.6kWh then if the battery has lost perhaps 5% capacity in 13000 miles (not unreasonable initial loss and should stabilize like this for a long while) and taking into account the below zero buffer of 4.5% that you don't want to test :

77.6*0.95*0.955=70.4 kWh usable above zero, 50% is 35.2 kWh

35.2kWh would give you 121 miles at 290 Wh/mile.

You can calculate your battery 100% capacity from in-car figures (kudos alansubie4life) like this:

1) Note rated miles remaining from beside battery icon with car set to Display->Distance
2) Note battery % from beside battery icon with car set to Display->Energy
3) Note down projected range (miles) and recent efficiency (Wh/mile) from the "energy graph" app

Total battery capacity is Projected Range*Recent Efficiency / Rated Miles Remaining * (Rated Miles Remaining/%)

Note that the amount from 0% to 100% on the battery gauge is 0.955 of this amount as mentioned above. You can then calculate how far you could go at a given consumption rate.

In the UK, in the winter at 0 to 10 degrees Celsius I'm using about 315 wh/mile on average on country roads but 280 at 20 degrees Celsius

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Colder temperatures can easily increase Wh/mile by 30% (basically use of cabin heat).

Your 30-32kWh spent for 50% battery might not be so out of whack - assuming the car started at 77.6kWh then if the battery has lost perhaps 5% capacity in 13000 miles (not unreasonable initial loss and should stabilize like this for a long while) and taking into account the below zero buffer of 4.5% that you don't want to test :

77.6*0.95*0.955=70.4 kWh usable above zero, 50% is 35.2 kWh

35.2kWh would give you 121 miles at 290 Wh/mile.

You can calculate your battery 100% capacity from in-car figures (kudos alansubie4life) like this:

1) Note rated miles remaining from beside battery icon with car set to Display->Distance
2) Note battery % from beside battery icon with car set to Display->Energy
3) Note down projected range (miles) and recent efficiency (Wh/mile) from the "energy graph" app

Total battery capacity is Projected Range*Recent Efficiency / Rated Miles Remaining * (Rated Miles Remaining/%)

Note that the amount from 0% to 100% on the battery gauge is 0.955 of this amount as mentioned above. You can then calculate how far you could go at a given consumption rate.

In the UK, in the winter at 0 to 10 degrees Celsius I'm using about 315 wh/mile on average on country roads but 280 at 20 degrees Celsius

akenham,

Thanks for the reply.

below is my data

battery display in miles: 144mile
battery display in % : 50%
in energy graph
efficiency: 302 Wh/mi
project range: 115mi
Total capacity = 69.46KWh.

the number looks not bad. However, the real driving experince is more like the number captured in the image. With 40% battery, only go 78.7miles and 24kWh in 40% battery change means 60kWh total battery capacity which is big gap to 69.46KWh.

Another thing makes me suspect battery issue is software update twice; one at the first day I book service and the second udpate is almost the same date the techician cancel my appointment. Wh/mile suddenly improve to 220Wh/mile and back to 290Wh/mile on the same road I drive daily and the temperature is not much different in these days

akenham,

Thanks for the reply.

below is my data

in energy graph

the number looks not bad. However, the real driving experince is more like the number captured in the image. With 40% battery, only go 78.7miles and 24kWh in 40% battery change means 60kWh total battery capacity which is big gap to 69.46KWh.

Another thing makes me suspect battery issue is software update twice; one at the first day I book service and the second udpate is almost the same date the techician cancel my appointment. Wh/mile suddenly improve to 220Wh/mile and back to 290Wh/mile on the same road I drive daily and the temperature is not much different in these days
You could test if climate control is affecting your range by turning it off on your test trip.

Reactions: Saturday
On my S, had similar issues, and it was a busted module. The high WH/mi happened too.
Look up Scan my Tesla and Canbus connection. It’s easy to get the battery data yourself, and you can then validate ‘nothing is wrong,’ or present the data to Tesla otherwise

My average is about 285 Wh/mi. When temperature is around 70 degrees, I can easily get 220-240 Wh/mi, but when it is in 40-50 degrees range, the consumption goes to about 300 Wh/mi, and with temperatures close or below freezing it is ~350 Wh/mi. Also, your highway driving will depend on wind and rain conditions a lot.

Last week, I was driving on a highway for some 120 miles and was running at 320-330 Wh/mi at 35F outside temps (at 75 mph, and 68F inside temperature settings). I find it normal. It would be interesting though to compare to 2021 M3 with the heat pump.

Have you tried charging the battery to 100% to see what the actual range shows on a full charge?

The Model 3 is pretty inefficient on short range trips but becomes more efficient on long range driving. I lose 6 miles of range on a 2 mile round trip but the numbers look more normal when I drive trips of 20+ miles.

akenham,
in energy graph

I have a very similar (sad) battery state. Projected range will depend on your driving and outside conditions.

Projected range IS NOT the nominal range. There is no point to try calculate the battery capacity from it.

To get 220 Wh/mi, I have to drive very very calm, using a chill mode perhaps, and the weather must cooperate (~70F, no rain, no wind). I would be totally okay with 290 Wh/mi on a less than perfect day.

Have you tried charging the battery to 100% to see what the actual range shows on a full charge?

The Model 3 is pretty inefficient on short range trips but becomes more efficient on long range driving. I lose 6 miles of range on a 2 mile round trip but the numbers look more normal when I drive trips of 20+ miles.

OCR1,

Yes, my test are normally over 20~30miles. and see 10% battery drop for every 20miles

I have a very similar (sad) battery state. Projected range will depend on your driving and outside conditions.

Projected range IS NOT the nominal range. There is no point to try calculate the battery capacity from it.

To get 220 Wh/mi, I have to drive very very calm, using a chill mode perhaps, and the weather must cooperate (~70F, no rain, no wind). I would be totally okay with 290 Wh/mi on a less than perfect day.

hi Alexgr,

I am wondering have you kept the record of battery percentage change(%) vs miles drive. if you also get around 290 Wh/mi, we can compare the miles can go with certain percentage of battery consumed. (for me, it is 78miles for 40% battery under 50-60F and 300 Wh/mi) of course, test longer distance would be more accurate.

Joe

@JoeYSY your wh/mi pretty high for 65mph.
I live near you. My avg on Thursday running I680 north from Fremont to my house was about 295wh/mi and I drove 75mph going up altitude about 500ft through 26mi.

I'm curious if you can go out during the day this afternoon and do a drive.