Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 model 3 performance had 278 miles @ 80% when I picked it up in March,

This does not seem possible. You’d have to show a picture demonstrating this. The max at 80% for 2020 3P would be 258 miles when 18” wheels are selected, and typical (highest possible) for a brand new Performance 2020 with 20” wheels would be 239 miles. (80% of 299)

and now has 221 miles at 80%.

Which wheels do you have selected?

If you have 20” selected on the touchscreen, then you have about 7.5% capacity loss, which is on the higher side, but quite typical, and how much of an outlier this is will depend on mileage and the vehicle age (9 months). Basically it sounds pretty normal, on the high side. But well within the typical distribution.

If you have 18” wheels selected on the touchscreen, this 221 miles would be 14% capacity loss (258rmi18@80% when new), which would be very high.

I am going to recheck my numbers - I know at 80% I have 221. I will charge to 90% now and see. Perhaps the 278 was 90% when I picked it up. Would this make more sense? I noticed it it immediately dropped to 268 at 90%. I also remember at 100% 4 months ago I got 299.

Perhaps the 278 was 90% when I picked it up. Would this make more sense? I noticed it it immediately dropped to 268 at 90%

Not really for a March delivery, unless somehow your car had really old software at delivery. The 2020 initially (in late 2019) had 310 miles at 100%, which shortly thereafter changed to 299 miles at 100% with no degradation (same range, same capacity, just 299rmi20 rather than 310rmi - which are the same energy & range) with a software update. So that would be 279 and 269 at 90%. Those would both be perfect numbers, assuming 20" wheels are selected for the 269 number.

(Aside: It's actually possible the 299rmi20 is higher range than the 310rmi, since that software update may have been concurrent with an efficiency improvement - have to review the webpages that document all of that to align everything and see, but it doesn't matter, for assessing battery capacity loss, which is what we care about here. As I recall that efficiency improvement (the second such improvement as I recall) was closely matched in timing to the release of the "hold" driving mode.)

So, for reference, 239rmi20 @ 80% is a perfect result for a 2020 Performance.

I also remember at 100% 4 months ago I got 299.

So that means as of four months ago you had nearly zero degradation (assuming you had 20" selected). It's not unusual for capacity loss to show up suddenly. Also, in Gig Harbor, note that chilly temperatures will have a small effect on your rated miles, because a cold battery simply does not contain as much available energy. Best to do these assessments after Supercharging from 5% to 80-90%.

Last edited:
I am also searching how to ensure proper wheels are selected like you mentioned .

It's in the service menu. Also you can just see it on your car avatar. Note the proper wheels to select are the ones that you happen to have on your car. If you have winter tires with decent rolling performance, it might be better to select 18" or 19". But that's an aside, has nothing to do with capacity. For assessing battery health, we just need to know what you currently have selected (I think it's basically 100% certain you have 20" selected assuming you don't have a Stealth). You don't need to change it. The selection on the touchscreen doesn't affect your range - your installed wheels and tires do. The selection does affect the Trip Planner projections and the displayed rated miles. But that has nothing to do with range. 299rmi20, 304rmi19, and 322rmi18 are all the same range (it's actually energy, not range), all else being equal (in particular, wheels and tires must be equal).

Just remember "rmi" are a measure of energy, not distance. That's the key. Has only a very loose correlation with distance.

Last edited:
E14A1FEF-35A5-4F79-8E3C-CB681769100B.jpeg