Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too. Ha ha. But it's always a head wind on the way back. Maybe not head on (like N), but NE to NW. I could get to the next supercharger if I don't exceed 75 mph, but for just 5% difference, it's not worth having to slow down on such a long driving day. I can make it leaving with 92%, which is what I should have left after driving to the rental from the supercharger, and the overnight losses (with sentry mode on).

New Tesla M3 LR-AWD owner here and have lots to learn, so please excuse the newbie question. Vehicle is about three weeks old and has around 300 miles on ODO. I live in SoCal.

A few days ago, I charged the battery to 90% at home. Miles remaining after charge show as 315. The next day, I drove around 20 miles on surface streets, and afterward, the remaining miles were 199. Then, after the car sits for two more days, I come out and the remaining miles are now 179 before even driving the car.

I'm sure the excessive drop in estimated remaining miles is explainable, but I'm at a loss to understand why this is so. Can someone explain what might be going on?

New Tesla M3 LR-AWD owner here and have lots to learn, so please excuse the newbie question. Vehicle is about three weeks old and has around 300 miles on ODO. I live in SoCal.

A few days ago, I charged the battery to 90% at home. Miles remaining after charge show as 315. The next day, I drove around 20 miles on surface streets, and afterward, the remaining miles were 199. Then, after the car sits for two more days, I come out and the remaining miles are now 179 before even driving the car.

I'm sure the excessive drop in estimated remaining miles is explainable, but I'm at a loss to understand why this is so. Can someone explain what might be going on?

Did you have sentry mode turned on during those two days the car sat without being driven? If so, that amount of battery drain sounds about right.

Same here, my P3D is almost always plugged in. I took delivery in Dec 2018, at which point I had 310 miles total range. As of today, my total range is 309 miles. So it definitely has not harmed the battery. I usually keep the upper limit set to 80% at the most.

One suggestion, if you are staying home and barely driving, I would reduce the upper limit that you charge to to 70% or 75%. Of course, if you plan on driving a long distance you can always bump up the limit for that day.

It's not charging all the time even if it is plugged in.

You can set a charging start time and it will charge no more than once a day. Otherwise it will charge when it has drained 1% to 3%. Used to be 3%, but that seems to have changed. I've had my X plugged in for weeks without using it. It used to go as long as five days between charging. Now it's closer to one day, though shorter charges.

Just leave it plugged in and let the car figure out what it needs.

Hello Model 3ers.

Just wanted to provide you guys some update on the battery health of my model 3 since delivery.
LW AWD
Delivery Date: June 30th/July 1 2019
Mileage at delivery: 50
Current Mileage: 55,489
Life time wH/mile: 251

Just wanted to give you guys an update on my model 3 and potentially help explain to those who may have battery and mileage related issues. In the photos below are the current mileage estimates of my battery pack per "BMS."
Called TSS and issued a complaint about car not meeting mileage expectations because my vehicle struggles to get past 200 miles of range and it makes it only uncomfortable for road trips. Other than that, its been pretty good to me.
Tesla does "satellite" diagnostics and deems it "ok." I get a call a week later from a rep that says Tesla is willing to take a look into this further if i bring in the car (since I made multiple service calls about this -maybe 5?)

Before i schedule an appointment with TSS, have any of you experienced this from TSS?

My model 3's battery health seem to be declining at a faster rate. From my previous thread, I have taken many user's advice but have come to no avail. I feel like my Long Range Model 3 turned into a Standard Range Model 3.

142390693_318567999561095_1221562504772235219_n.jpg
142441985_235537118023917_8350231553907003819_n.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
2020 M3P with 17K miles.

This is another cold weather data point. I left my office this afternoon with 84% SoC, have driven 40.3 miles, and am currently at 54% SoC.

Never was more than 1/4 throttle, air temp is around 28F, mixed highway and suburbs, max speed on highway was around 80. I preheated the cabin for 5 minutes two times, and had climate set at 75F while driving with seat heater on level 1 out of 3.

This works out to 134 miles in a full charge. I'm always so disappointed by the marketing of the 300-mile range, because the conditions have to be so precise to get near that. In an ICE-car that advertises, say, 25mpg mixed use, there are basically no conditions where you'd achieve less than half of that.

For cold weather climates, overnight or daily charging is a near-necessity for those who routinely drive more than 50-75 miles in a day.

Last edited:
Wow. I had not had issues with range loss for most of the car's life. Performance, so rated range is 310, bought end of May, 2019. After about 40,000 miles, I was around 300 (extrapolated from range at 90%SOC). Noticed lately I have even more trouble making it though the day on a single charge. Usually show percent charge, rather than range, but switched to range out of curiosity. Now at 90%, I'm showing 255 miles, which extrapolates to 283 miles. So after 54,000 miles, I've lost 9% of my range. But, in about 14,000 miles, 6%. Not terrible, but with cold and rain, my range is horrible, and I do several trips a day, often exceeding 150 miles (much of it at highway speed).