Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would focus more on energy that you are able to extract rather than distance. At this point, it is very likely reduced from what one would expect from an MR when new.

I did calculate the number recently using the energy app. With 83% of battery shown in the battery status, the energy consumption chart showed average of 234 Wh/mi and 186 miles remaining. That comes out to 52.4 kWh at 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I did calculate the number recently using the energy app. With 83% of battery shown in the battery status, the energy consumption chart showed average of 234 Wh/mi and 186 miles remaining. That comes out to 52.4 kWh at 100%.
The math checks out. This would work out to about 221 rated miles. Compares to something like 62.5kWh when new (don’t know exact number - you could tell me from the energy screen, but it doesn’t matter, close enough). So about 16% capacity loss. Not great!

Reactions: PhantomX
Are there any guidelines for when you should consider asking service to check for battery issues?
i.e. 10% of degradation is normal, but if you are at 20% already you might have an actual problem.

I have a 2018 LR RWD 3 with 23,800 miles:

I did Alan's calculation for battery capcity and came up with the following:

202 mi range * 252 avg wh/mi / 78% battery = 65 kWh.

the 100% range predicted by the phone app is 276mi. I checked it on the Batterycompare app, and got a value of 0% of cars are worse than mine. (ugh)

This seems pretty bad to me, but is it bad enough to bring up to service or is it just on the bad luck end of normal?

Thanks.

Are there any guidelines for when you should consider asking service to check for battery issues?
i.e. 10% of degradation is normal, but if you are at 20% already you might have an actual problem.
I had tried to schedule a service last year to check on my battery degradation. It was 12% at that time. Like MP3Mike said, they basically told me that my battery is still within the 30% warranty range, so they won't look at it. Your best bet is probably to wish for fast degradation to get to 69%, so you can get them to swap out the battery.

The warranty is for 70% of capacity...
I'm aware of the warranty.

Is that to say that Tesla has never replaced a battery with over 70% of capacity even if they detected some type of fault?

Anyway, Alan explained in the model Y thread ( where I initially posted incorrectly) that I'm most like at around 10% degradation which is at the low end of normal (unfortunately. :( (which is why I was asking)

never saw any range change when others were reporting increases to 322/325 via software changes.

I wouldn't use that to necessarily conclude you have a fixed 72.5kWh pack. The 310->325 was an unlock of capacity - to those who had it available.

Given the degradation you've seen, you could well have had more than 5% capacity loss at the time of that update, so you may have had some unlock but not enough to bring you above 310. You would know best what you saw (it's really unclear exactly how this worked for individual owners and why).

For example, you may have degraded to 294 miles at 100% at the time of the update...and then you would have increased to to 309 miles with that update (a 4.8% capacity unlock). If you use TeslaFi or similar you might be able to see the change. Or you may have your own records. Or there may have been no change at all, as you said.

A 294 mile to 309 mile change is the same as the change for an owner seeing a 310 to 325 miles increase. But I am aware of some reports of owners who didn't see any apparent step change (no matter what the specific numbers were)...not sure if this was for very early VINs, or what.

But what Tesla uses for warranty purposes for your specific vehicle which was sold as a 310-mile vehicle? I don't know...but I would assume 72.5kWh...which would mean 217 miles, or 50.8kWh (which I believe is actually a 35% capacity loss).

In the EPA testing, Tesla extracted 79.3kWh (for "reasons" this would show in SMT as a 77.8kWh Full Pack When New, I believe) from the Model 3 RWD battery, FWIW. In the first round of testing (310-mile edition), they extracted 75.7kWh. But the core issue is: was there actually any difference in these packs?

Last edited:
Is that to say that Tesla has never replaced a battery with over 70% of capacity even if they detected some type of fault?

They replace failed packs that had more than 70% of capacity all of the time. But a failure is something like the inability to charge or drive the car. So if your battery is still charging and driving the car, without throwing any warnings, and has 70+% capacity Tesla would likely tell you everything is fine.

The car is self-diagnosing, so when they "check" your pack they are almost always just looking in the logs for a fault that you would have seen.

Alan's calculation for battery capcity
Really belongs to @ran349, he showed me this method first. Though I was using the screen to calculate the constant, before I learned it could be accurately extended to this purpose.
Also pretty sure others were doing this before that.
The good news is that @jjrandorin putting the info in the stickies has really cut down on the repetitive questions about battery capacity, meaning people are actually just getting the information they need, which is great.

I have a 2018 LR RWD 3 with 23,800 miles:
the 100% range predicted by the phone app is 276mi. I checked it on the Batterycompare app, and got a value of 0% of cars are worse than mine. (ugh)
This seems pretty bad to me, but is it bad enough to bring up to service or is it just on the bad luck end of normal?
A family members 2018 LR AWD 3 with 52,000 miles

Hello All

i booked a service appointment as my m3 2020 sr+ is only showing 219 at 100% charging, my WH/m is 256 lifetime with 13652 miles on the clock. I received the following from tesla

Hi there Mr. Your range concern has been looked into and an appointment is not needed. We have carried out various checks and have a document to send you if you could provide us with an email ? Thanks Tesla Service

any ideas

Attachments​

• 47129391-7C37-42F4-81C8-0139296BAD1A.png
    47129391-7C37-42F4-81C8-0139296BAD1A.png
    951.5 KB · Views: 12

I'm sure I asked this before, and you answered before, but I've long forgotten; but what happened between 34k and 42k?
That is a good question that we never figured out. Nothing seemed to correlate perfectly. They did travel from KY to WI during the winter during that timeframe as well as the temps were 'winter' temps for KY when they returned. We had TeslaFI data but couldn't find an obvious correlation. Perhaps some cells degraded faster than others and the 'balancing' just brought the average SOC down. Below from my post here:

Blue is Calculated 100% range.
Green is Firmware at the week but not release level (yyyy-wk-rlse).
Purple is the temp (F) plus 200 to scale it for the left Y axis.

2019.40.2.1 (aka 2019.777) seemed to be the biggest timing of the 100% range dropping.

IhYwmR3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Just to update. Now it's 256 miles at 90%... I see a trend of lower miles over time.

(moderator note: post moved to master thread on range loss. the thread you started is not merged into this one because the forum software merges posts by date. With that being said, all battery degredation comments etc go in this master thread so I moved this here and locked that one. Please feel free to continue discussion here)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have followed the advice provided in this forum in letting the car discharge and let it sleep. So 90% to 20% , with some in between , taking several days before charging again. That barely made a difference in the reported range.

However, last weekend I charged to 100%, and let it stay at 100% for a day. I had never dared to do that as I had read several times it was bad for the battery. So whenever I charged to 100% I would immediately drive off.

scan my Tesla now shows a battery capacity of 70.6kWh from 68kWh.
It’s the first time I see the capacity significantly going up

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and ggies07