Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please enlighten me on why this model Y in the video has the older pack? Due to being China made?
Also, why is the data different on SMT on my new M3 (82kwh), compared to this new Y? I don’t have the battery degradation data point.

I don't know why the Y has the lower capacity pack, but wanted to answer your question about SMT. Bjorn has a pretty old version of the SMT from the beginning of 2021, which is why he has the battery degradation data point. The reason why your SMT app doesn't have it is because the data point was removed due to being inaccurate. Look at the "battery degradation" section here scan my tesla - FAQ

I don't know why the Y has the lower capacity pack, but wanted to answer your question about SMT. Bjorn has a pretty old version of the SMT from the beginning of 2021, which is why he has the battery degradation data point. The reason why your SMT app doesn't have it is because the data point was removed due to being inaccurate. Look at the "battery degradation" section here scan my tesla - FAQ
Thanks!

well that's what looks like the best thing is for light travel back and forward to work. 40-60 seems like the soft-on-battery option. only needs a full charge for long trips.
I'm not even sure you need a full charge for long trips, unless you're driving a SR or SR+, the weather's cold, etc. This past month I drove 4400 miles to Colorado and back, and even with temps in the 90s and strong headwinds up to 16mph, and speeds up to 88mph in Nebraska and Colorado, at 115% of speed limit, I only supercharged past 70% a couple times a day. Just looking at ABRP now, if I had slowed to 108% of speed limit, I could have driven 2100 miles to Colorado with only 2 supercharges up to 71 or 72%. Of course, everyone's supercharger density is different, but I just crossed 2/3rds of the US, and barely needed to supercharge past the point where the SOC started tapering below 100kW. Makes for fast trip times and short charges.

My 2021 M3P is about 2 months old, picked it up at the end of June.
Recently I've been noticing less range every morning as I leave for work.
(I charge overnight in my garage, 48amps)

I've gotten used to seeing 283 mile range on a 90% charge every morning.
For about the last week this has been going down.

First I noticed it went to 281, next day 280, next day 279. next day 276 and so on... this morning was 274!!
The rate of decrease is somewhat alarming, anyone else seeing this?

I can't blame the morning weather because its been warm/chilly and there's no difference.
I live in SoCal so we're mostly warm.

My 2021 M3P is about 2 months old, picked it up at the end of June.
Recently I've been noticing less range every morning as I leave for work.
(I charge overnight in my garage, 48amps)

I've gotten used to seeing 283 mile range on a 90% charge every morning.
For about the last week this has been going down.

First I noticed it went to 281, next day 280, next day 279. next day 276 and so on... this morning was 274!!
The rate of decrease is somewhat alarming, anyone else seeing this?

I can't blame the morning weather because its been warm/chilly and there's no difference.
I live in SoCal so we're mostly warm.
Are you looking at the charge immediately after it finishes charging or some time after? If sometime after, it could be changes in vampire drain and nothing to do with battery degradation (or balancing, there's a sticky on how to "recover" capacity if it's balancing).

Hello,
I picked up my new model M3LR this afternoon and had a quick question regarding what to do on days when I'm working from home. My office is currently doing a hybrid work schedule where I'm in the office on Monday and Tuesday then remote the rest of the week. The weekdays that I work from home I don't really go anywhere. I'll occasionally run out for groceries or to pick up food but nothing that would make a dent in the charge. Is it ok to leave the car plugged in for 2-3 days without driving it anywhere? If I run to the store and back is it worth plugging it in to only recover 5-10% of a charge?

Thanks!

...Is it ok to leave the car plugged in for 2-3 days without driving it anywhere? If I run to the store and back is it worth plugging it in to only recover 5-10% of a charge?...
Since the days of the Roadster and then the first Model S, Tesla has always encouraged plugging in as much as possible. It used to give away a card saying something like that. Now, you have to read it in your Owner's Manual instead.

Reactions: kavyboy
Are you looking at the charge immediately after it finishes charging
Immediately, soon as I unlock and unplug my car. Today it showed 273.
Also the Car won’t charge exactly to 90% every time. It’ll be off +\- up to 3%
I mean can it be a constant -3% every day? That would equate to a faulty battery.

I've only charged it to 100% 3 times, maybe 4.

Just here to vent that we bought a 2018 LR RWD model 3 based solely on the extra miles versus the AWD. At the time we could have chose the AWD but went for range is king even if it was only a little difference. Hindsight it doesn’t matter as we’re down more than AWD models. Down like 10%. Shame because RWD are less desirable and I would be trading this in for a Y if I could sell it on the higher side of the market but like I said not as desirable. However, it is better feel in the drive vs AWD but to each their own.

Last edited:
New to this group and considering a new model 3 LR. Higher speed will affect actual range so need real data on how driving the legal speedimit will affect miles between charges.
Thanks for your time.
Bill
and the answer is 110 miles, 110 miles and 110 miles...
... okay, that's the average distance between supercharger stops on my 4400 mile roadtrip last month. It doesn't really matter how fast I drive, and I drove 88mph fast on some legs in Nebraska, the superchargers don't move.

Try running some simulations in ABRP, abetterrouteplanner.com, and you'll get a sense of range at different speeds, but you'll also find that the fastest trip strategy is to drive as fast as you feel comfortable, I chose 115% of speed limit, and stop and charge at low SOC levels. I chose 13 - 15% SOC. Then you'll see that because of the charging taper, you'll get trip recommendations to charge up to somewhere in the 60 - 70% SOC range. Just looking at my trip, I only needed to charge above 70% SOC, just once, on my westward leg, into a brisk headwind. In other words, you'll find that calculating range based upon speed is something you don't actually use that much, because the Supercharger spacing doesn't change, regardless of speed driven.

Okay, the other thing ABRP gives you is a reference efficiency measured at 65mph. My reference efficiency is 245Wh/mile. On my whole trip, driven 95+% of the time on the highway, I averaged 70mph, with high speeds of 88mph. The efficiency was 274Wh/mile.
1631062248646.png

^^^ Exactly what he said. For me it's not even 110 miles. In some cases it's less than 40 miles between superchargers, depending on my route.
If you do a lot of long range driving, and don't want to stop every 100 miles or so, then go LR. For most people SR+ is more than enough range, especially with as many Supercharging stations there are.... And even more EVGo, ChargePoint, Electrify America charging areas that are slow with their J1772 outlets, but will give you juice in an emergency.
Is the LR worth the extra ~$10k just for the battery? Or are you also wanting the upgraded sound system or $2k boost?

and the answer is 110 miles, 110 miles and 110 miles...
... okay, that's the average distance between supercharger stops on my 4400 mile roadtrip last month. It doesn't really matter how fast I drive, and I drove 88mph fast on some legs in Nebraska, the superchargers don't move.

Try running some simulations in ABRP, abetterrouteplanner.com, and you'll get a sense of range at different speeds, but you'll also find that the fastest trip strategy is to drive as fast as you feel comfortable, I chose 115% of speed limit, and stop and charge at low SOC levels. I chose 13 - 15% SOC. Then you'll see that because of the charging taper, you'll get trip recommendations to charge up to somewhere in the 60 - 70% SOC range. Just looking at my trip, I only needed to charge above 70% SOC, just once, on my westward leg, into a brisk headwind. In other words, you'll find that calculating range based upon speed is something you don't actually use that much, because the Supercharger spacing doesn't change, regardless of speed driven.

Okay, the other thing ABRP gives you is a reference efficiency measured at 65mph. My reference efficiency is 245Wh/mile. On my whole trip, driven 95+% of the time on the highway, I averaged 70mph, with high speeds of 88mph. The efficiency was 274Wh/mile.
View attachment 706500

Best advice ever! For me, unless I'm crossing the state border, I don't even bother looking at the battery indicator. It's meaningless.

Reactions: sightman