Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Tesla Model S 100D - Charged to 70% daily, 90% just before a trip, rarely taken below 20%.

New - 335 miles of stated range
Now - 306 miles of stated range (122,000 miles)

Roughly 40% of the power has been via supercharging. (I do a LOT of road trips and work away from home).

Hello

New to the forum as this is my first Tesla purchase. Currently I reside in Vancouver, Canada and temperatures are ranging from 10-20 Celsius.

I have been driving for about 1k km now and have noticed that my stated consumption in the "since last charge" trip does not equate remotely close to the actual energy consumption. My recent experiment was charging till 100% and now have driven 188km using 34kWh at a rate of 180Wh/KM (roughly 288 Wh/mile) with a SOC of 43% remaining....

Now from my understanding using 34 kWh out of the 82 kWh would put me at 59% remaining but currently I'm at 43%.... am I missing something here? Is vampire battery drain that intense where I would lose an additional 16 percent of my battery?

Based off of my 43 percent battery remaining, I would assume 46.74 kWh has actually been used compared to the 34 kWh which would state my consumption rate should be closer to 250 wh/km instead of 180 even though I'm driving as moderate as possible.....

elon musk recommended 90% to 20%. 80% for best longevity and anything below not worth it. He also stated to not be afraid to discharge the car to 5% or lower.

Count me among the folks who dont pay very much (if any) attention to "what elon tweets" and pays more attention to "what tesla prints in its written information". You will not find anything other than "charge to somewhere in the daily range for daily use" and "charge into the trips area for trips".

With that being said, what you are saying is what the general sleuthed forum recommendations are as well. My point was. "Tesla" does not tell people what percentage to charge to, and I dont count a tweet from elon as "what tesla says".

Hello

New to the forum as this is my first Tesla purchase. Currently I reside in Vancouver, Canada and temperatures are ranging from 10-20 Celsius.

I have been driving for about 1k km now and have noticed that my stated consumption in the "since last charge" trip does not equate remotely close to the actual energy consumption. My recent experiment was charging till 100% and now have driven 188km using 34kWh at a rate of 180Wh/KM (roughly 288 Wh/mile) with a SOC of 43% remaining....

Now from my understanding using 34 kWh out of the 82 kWh would put me at 59% remaining but currently I'm at 43%.... am I missing something here? Is vampire battery drain that intense where I would lose an additional 16 percent of my battery?

Based off of my 43 percent battery remaining, I would assume 46.74 kWh has actually been used compared to the 34 kWh which would state my consumption rate should be closer to 250 wh/km instead of 180 even though I'm driving as moderate as possible.....

The numbers dont ad up if you did charge full and drive 188km in one drive.
If it is multiple drives with the car parked for time between it might be absolutely nothing strange. The consumtion logged( ”34kWh”) is during driving only.

Tesla use a buffer thats 4.5% of the nominal full pack. The buffer it below zero percent on the battery meter. Your nominal full pack should be in the ball park of 79.5 to 81kWh. That means you can use about 76kwh from 100% to 0%.

A single 188km drive should eat about 34kWh as you state, and than you should have about 55% left.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
What's up, everyone! Just recently took delivery of my Model 3 SR+ LFP battery vehicle 10 days ago and so far I am loving it! I wanted to see who else recently got one and what their experience has been like with regards to battery life!

When I'm fully charged up I am consistently sitting between 252-254 miles. How is everyone's real driving mileage vs their actual miles shown on your battery? It seems like I'm getting between 160-175 miles each charge before I re-charge again. Keep in mind I'm typically charging when it has about 30-50 miles left on the battery. So hypothetically I'm getting 160-175 miles on a charge after using about 200-220 miles of electricity.

How does everyone else's experience compare so far? I'm in Southern California, good weather. Drive about 75% of the time highway, using autopilot pretty much the whole time.

Thanks!

Reactions: AAKEE
Hello

I hate responding to these first posts...but benefit of the doubt right?... Ok so that consumption since last charge is consumption while in a driving mode(Drive, Hold, or Reverse), NOT Park. So any usage while you are parked will not be accounted for in the trip counters. Seeing that you are in Vancouver, you may be pre-heating the vehicle. This usage will not be accounted for in the trip counters. Your 12kWh of "missing" energy could be simplistically explained by only 2 hours of pre-heating.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 2019 LR and here's my TeslaFi chart. This week my 100% charge was showing around 264 miles so I put in a service call. The engineer came and reset something and told me to continue monitoring/charging like I did for the next 30 days. Now 100% is showing 310 which it never did from the start. Who knows if this is accurate or not, but it's good to get back 40 miles at least on the computer front. Who knows if this is real world.

1633114727548.png

I have a 2019 LR and here's my TeslaFi chart. This week my 100% charge was showing around 264 miles so I put in a service call. The engineer came and reset something and told me to continue monitoring/charging like I did for the next 30 days. Now 100% is showing 310 which it never did from the start. Who knows if this is accurate or not, but it's good to get back 40 miles at least on the computer front. Who knows if this is real world.

View attachment 716758
Report back in a month or two after the BMS has had time to re-estimate the actual capacity. I'd guess it'll be around 285, but no idea really.

The numbers dont ad up if you did charge full and drive 188km in one drive.
If it is multiple drives with the car parked for time between it might be absolutely nothing strange. The consumtion logged( ”34kWh”) is during driving only.

Tesla use a buffer thats 4.5% of the nominal full pack. The buffer it below zero percent on the battery meter. Your nominal full pack should be in the ball park of 79.5 to 81kWh. That means you can use about 76kwh from 100% to 0%.

A single 188km drive should eat about 34kWh as you state, and than you should have about 55% left.
Great really appreciate the feedback. I didn’t realize how much energy just heating the cabin etc could possibly have an effect .

Weird... But my 2019 LR is on the same path.
How many Kwh we need to reach to claim replacement under warranty ?
75 Kwh * 0.70 = 56.25 kwh ?

i think tesla use the actual kwh of the pack so you start with (79kwh), so 79 x 0.7 = 55.3kwh.

But we all know its unlikely we get there. We end up with these shitty packs stuck at 27% in 8 years time....Unless we get a high voltage error beforehand.

That said my degradation has been fairly linear over time. In fact I kinda hope I have a shitty pack i.e. losing another 5% next year and 5% after that so I can make a case for a battery replacement at year 4 of ownership....

Nothing would be worse than it trickeling now to 3% loss per year, then 2% and ending up with this long range 3 charging to 400km at 100% in 4 years. The car isnt even that old. 2 years and 42k kms.

Leaving the car sitting at 90% for a few months is also an option but I'll wait until I leave the tropics next february as its too hot here to do that (my car sits most of the time at 50-60% unless I go on roadtrips of which there are quite a few though. I never recover range after that though, only lose)

The LR RWD has a constant of 234Wh/rmi (and always has - the 310->325 unlock unlocked capacity AFAIK). SMT says FPWN of 77.8kWh. It's possible that your early vehicle never quite had this capacity (though some vehicles probably did). That works out to 77.8kWh/234Wh/rmi = 332 rated miles. However, the degradation threshold (where degradation starts to show) is 76kWh. That works out to 76kWh/234Wh/rmi = 325rmi. Basically the display was limited to 325 rated miles, even if you started with the equivalent of 332, in energy terms.

So, SMT is correct; you have about 13.9% loss. However, to be clear, we don't know exactly where your pack started (that value SMT reports is a hard-coded value associated with the pack and does not reflect exactly where your particular vehicle started).

It's possible you have actually lost as little as 12% if you actually started closer to 76kWh. (The only way you'd know this is if you had SMT right at the beginning.)

I think it is likely your pack started around 77-78kWh. But the data on those early packs early in their life is very sparse, so there's really no way to know for sure.

14% loss after 3 years and 25k miles seems pretty normal, but possibly slightly on the high side. It's actually a pretty great result. My 2016 Chevy Spark has lost about 35-40% capacity at about 24k miles (equivalent to about 75k on the Tesla I suppose) as mentioned earlier here. The plus side is it has not caught on fire spontaneously.

I have a 2019 LR RWD, 4/19 build, the last of them built before they went away, 324XXX VIN.

I started running SMT after about 6 months of ownership and 6,642 miles. My NFP at that time showed 77.6. I bounced around a bit, 77.4, 77.5 but the last recording of 77.6 was at 7,871 miles almost a year after picking up the car. The Energy Buffer setting when new was 3.5. It dropped to 3.4 at 10,339 miles in Dec. 2020. In June 2021 at 12,100 miles it dropped to 3.3 and has stayed there since.

Today I'm at 13,900 miles and showing a NFP that has been bouncing around 72.9-73.3 for the past few months.

For the first year of the car's life it stayed at 50% SOC between trips. I have a Nissan Leaf I use as daily beater for errands and to go play golf. The Model 3 is the trip/weekend car. I would charge the car to whatever SOC I need to stay in the middle of the pack as much as possible. Lots of 60-40 or 60-30 SOC trips.

When I took the car on its first 1,500 mile road trip I could still stay between 70-30 SOC for most stops thanks to the Supercharger network.

I've charged to 90% maybe 3-4 times. I've never been lower than 15% and that was just to let the battery sample a low SOC. That brings up this article I've been following the last 8 months. It argues the car needs to sample various SOC levels for 4-6 hours to properly calibrate the BMS.
I've usually let my car sit for a few hours when returning home, but started giving the car time to sit at a higher SOC for 4-6 hours before leaving on a trip giving the BMS time to sample.

My car is still showing 312-315 miles of rated range in SMT at 13,900 miles. Curious to see if battery degradation will level off or slow down now. I'm showing about 6% capacity loss and and about 3.7% range loss compared to 325 miles of rated range.

Not sure if I'm lucky with a "good" pack or how much I've helped myself with good battery care. My conservative approach is to stay between 70-30% SOC as much as possible and continue to store the car between 35-50% SOC. The EPA doc for the Model 3 battery calls for 15-50% SOC for long-term storage. I also take that to mean 15% is as low as I will try to go before recharging while on trips. But there will be times I may need to go to 100 or 0 to make a trip work and will charge or discharge as needed. But otherwise I'll ignore Tesla routing suggestions to go from 90-10 is I can insert another SC stop in between to stay between 70-30. I'm sure this will also be kinder to the battery when Supercharging.

Any thoughts Alan or Lastgas?

Last edited:
My car is still showing 312-315 miles of rated range in SMT at 13,900 miles. Curious to see if that battery degradation will level off now.
Cool. Good info to have.

Do you happen to know exactly what energy (NFP) your vehicle had when it started to show loss of range from 325? It might be hard to know for you since you typically sit at 50% SOC. But just wondering whether you track that and compare to SMT NFP value.

Basically I want to confirm that started to happen when you dropped below 76kWh, which is what I would expect. I’m fairly sure that is when it starts to show, but just wanted to confirm.

Reactions: jim0266
Cool. Good info to have.

Do you happen to know exactly what energy (NFP) your vehicle had when it started to show loss of range from 325? It might be hard to know for you since you typically sit at 50% SOC. But just wondering whether you track that and compare to SMT NFP value.

Basically I want to confirm that started to happen when you dropped below 76kWh, which is what I would expect. I’m fairly sure that is when it starts to show, but just wanted to confirm.
The first time I started to track the full rated range number out of SMT was 10,753 miles. It was showing 322 miles of rated range, so I would say are correct with about 3 miles per kWh. The NFP was at 75.0 and the Energy Buffer was at 3.40. That may have been about the time this value was added to SMT. My screenshots from earlier versions don't show rated range.

View attachment 716758
My 19 LR is showing 270 miles at 100%. Probably I also need to talk to the service. Was there any magic word you told them so they didn't reject your request under "it's normal" pretense?

. Probably I also need to talk to the service. Was there any magic word you told them so they didn't reject your request under "it's normal" pretense?
But nothing was done except a BMS reset, which will change nothing (even short term - except you might be more likely to be stranded on the side of the road after a reset), so why waste your time? 270 miles is kind of bad but it is also within the normal range. It is what it is.

The BMS is usually quite good at estimating capacity over the long term. It can make errors but then it seems to recover and get close to the correct value.

But nothing was done except a BMS reset, which will change nothing (even short term - except you might be more likely to be stranded on the side of the road after a reset), so why waste your time? 270 miles is kind of bad but it is also within the normal range. It is what it is.

The BMS is usually quite good at estimating capacity over the long term. It can make errors but then it seems to recover and get close to the correct value.
Well, if my range jump from 280 to 270 basically overnight is the real battery degradation then I don't think this is normal. Could be something else (other than the BMS calibration) going on with the battery. Last time I asked the SC they told me to come back if the range falls below 260-270. Now the car seems to be approaching that point. 13% degradation at 25k after 2 years seems well outside of "the normal range" of degradation, and the degradation trend does not seem to slow down as I hoped.