Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. There is no 10% threshold. It is a 30% threshold for warranty. Tesla will do nothing.
  2. 2021.32.21 release notes states "Your vehicle's range estimation has been modified to better represent real-world conditions."
  3. I would not worry about it. Your battery did not magically lose range. The battery range was the same before and after the software update. It is just the displayed range.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Now i know the battery warranty states something about 10% or more you are due money back or maybe someone told us that, i cant remember. But tesla will probably go to the 310 figure which means we are at 92.5% right now.

There is no 10%. The warranty is 30% , and it will be based off what the vehicle was delivered with, so you are not looking at tesla doing anything until or unless you have 70% of 310 (or 217) available. Your result currently is actually quite good, regardless of the additional 10 miles you said you lost.

I believe one of the patch notes for this version dealt with "range display better represents real world conditions" so its possible the number is different. With that being said, its important you are aware there is no "10% you are due money back" or anything of the sort, at all. its 30% and a warranty replacement, with new or refurbished part, at teslas discretion.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My 2021 M3P is about 2 months old, picked it up at the end of June.
Recently I've been noticing less range every morning as I leave for work.
(I charge overnight in my garage, 48amps)

I've gotten used to seeing 283 mile range on a 90% charge every morning.
For about the last week this has been going down.

First I noticed it went to 281, next day 280, next day 279. next day 276 and so on... this morning was 274!!
The rate of decrease is somewhat alarming, anyone else seeing this?

I can't blame the morning weather because its been warm/chilly and there's no difference.
I live in SoCal so we're mostly warm.
Following as I am seeing the same with my model 3 with new battery pack

Well, there is really only one more thing to do to really get anywhere here. With your original stated numbers, I maintain that your vehicle would have had to use 600Wh/mile average over your stated 50 miles. This would only allow you to be able to drive approximately 88 miles on a full battery. So, I would say the next step would be to charge your car to 100% and plan a drive of at least 44 miles with no stops, on the highway, no putting the car in park, no heat, no A/C, and no going over lets say 70mph max(preferable no more than 60-65).

After those 44 miles if your battery is at 50% then I say you have a bad battery and go make a service center appointment and tell them to look at the car data for that drive. Tell them the date and time of the drive and they can look at their data.

If your drive only puts you at about 80%, then all is well with your car....and your issue must be explained by your specific non driving usage.

I think this is as simple as doing a 44mile drive and it will give you all the data required. 50% usage over 44 miles of straight highway driving is a bad battery I think no matter how you cut it. I don't think you can drive 44 miles at 600Wh/mile legitimately without either getting pulled over for speeding, or crashing and killing yourself.

Do the 44 mile drive and then come back and let us know what happened.
Appreciate all your help. I'll give this a shot and hopefully all is well at the end.

Reactions: AAKEE
My 2021 M3P is about 2 months old, picked it up at the end of June.
Recently I've been noticing less range every morning as I leave for work.
(I charge overnight in my garage, 48amps)

I've gotten used to seeing 283 mile range on a 90% charge every morning.
For about the last week this has been going down.

First I noticed it went to 281, next day 280, next day 279. next day 276 and so on... this morning was 274!!
The rate of decrease is somewhat alarming, anyone else seeing this?

I can't blame the morning weather because its been warm/chilly and there's no difference.
I live in SoCal so we're mostly warm.
How do you guys charge you cars?
To what SOC ? Charge every night or ?
When is the charging set to commence ? In the evening or in the latter part of the night ?

Whats the ambient temps at your home location Muzikmiss ?

I’m sire your charging schedule has been nice for the pack.
There is a misconception fairly spread about staying in the middle of the SOC range.
Lithium batterys degrade less from time by being at a low SOC, the lower the better.
As long as you stay above the specified minimum voltage for the cell, lower is always better.
Tesla recommends charging when below 20%. This is most certain not for the health of the lithium pack, but it is to ensure that the battery dont go down so low in SOC that it stops charging the 12v lead battery. If tjis happens, we have two problems: where stuck and also lead batteries get damaged by low state of charge.
Hi AAKEE,

I sent you a PM. Thanks!

The range eventually went back to the mid 270's, still paying attention to it but its less of a concern to me now.

How do you guys charge you cars?
To what SOC ? Charge every night or ?
When is the charging set to commence ? In the evening or in the latter part of the night ?
Charging at home
Charging up to 90% every night.
I plug-in after midnight (I'm out late)
Always charge during 'Super off-peak' hours.

We have one of the earlier 2020 LR made at the end of October 2019. Never seen anything above 310 miles and now with 15.6 k miles on odo car shows 292 miles at 100%.
P.S.
I can’t drive more than 200 miles without break anyway so I don’t really care.

The range eventually went back to the mid 270's, still paying attention to it but its less of a concern to me now.

Charging at home
Charging up to 90% every night.
I plug-in after midnight (I'm out late)
Always charge during 'Super off-peak' hours.
Why charge to 90% every night? Do you use all of that charge every day? If not then just charge to 50% or 60% every night. It’s better for your battery.

mine is less than 300mi after almost 14k miles.
my wifes 2019 M3 AWD is currently at 261 at 90%...looking forward to 100%, my math shows it could be at 290......new should have been 310 at 100% new, but never saw anything near that.....currently have 13,215 miles and only charge to 85%-90%.......it seems to bounce around with each software revision.....currently on 2021.32.22......have not opted in for fsd for this car yet, but have 99% over 8 days on my Model S....only one problem, "following too close" does not allow for the jerks that jump in front of you when you are giving 2-4 car lengths at 40mph......that is my only hit in the new safety score testing

My 19 LR is showing 270 miles at 100%. Probably I also need to talk to the service. Was there any magic word you told them so they didn't reject your request under "it's normal" pretense?
No magic words. I put in a mobile service request saying my 100% shows this much and that I understood there should be some degradation over time, but this seemed out of the norm at 16000 miles. They came out and took a look at it. When I spoke with the service tech, he mentioned to me that I was at the cusp of getting a battery replacement, but to first see if what he reset would fix the issue or not and to charge and drive normally for the next 30 days. He said he put in notes on my account/service request and that if it starts to degrade again to bring it into the shop for more testing. We'll see what happens. Even if it is a BMS reset, I'll gladly take the extra 40-50 miles I've regained and start over. I just came back from a road trip to Vegas and it's held steady. Supercharged along the way.

Reactions: alexgr
When I spoke with the service tech, he mentioned to me that I was at the cusp of getting a battery replacement,
That's interesting. I wonder what he was seeing in the diagnostics (presumably it wasn't the range loss that was concerning to him since that's a very normal (though on the high side!) amount and nowhere near the 30% threshold for replacement - it's about 17%).

I'd be careful assuming those 40-50 miles exist, especially if you're taking a long trip and relying on the trip estimator. (If you do so, let us know exactly how it goes...)

My guess is that they think the recent dive from 280 miles to 265 miles was overdone, maybe exacerbated by software, and that resetting the BMS will allow it to iterate to the correct result, possibly more quickly than coming back up from 265. There have been recent reports from new vehicles with massive transient BMS errors which take some time to recover from, so maybe there are some software driven issues here.

That's interesting. I wonder what he was seeing in the diagnostics (presumably it wasn't the range loss that was concerning to him since that's a very normal amount and nowhere near the 30% threshold for replacement).

I'd be careful assuming those 40-50 miles exist, especially if you're taking a long trip and relying on the trip estimator. (If you do so, let us know exactly how it goes...)

That I can't answer as well since he wouldn't go into specifics.

I just came back from a Vegas trip from LA and and I don't think there is anything incorrect. I used ABRP to get estimates of where my battery should be and what to charge up to in order to arrive at my next location. I plugged in the supercharging locations manually within the car so that it preconditions the battery and when I arrived, the battery %'s matched up give or take +/- 3-5% depending on my driving habit.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That I can't answer as well since he wouldn't go into specifics.

I just came back from a Vegas trip from LA and and I don't think there is anything incorrect. I used ABRP to get estimates of where my battery should be and what to charge up to in order to arrive at my next location. I plugged in the supercharging locations manually within the car so that it preconditions the battery and when I arrived, the battery %'s matched up give or take +/- 3-5% depending on my driving habit.
Thanks. Let us know how the estimates progress, as discussed earlier. Have you seen a change in TeslaFi yet after that trip? What minimum SoC did you get to on the trip (I assume 10-15%)?

Thanks. Let us know how the estimates progress, as discussed earlier. Have you seen a change in TeslaFi yet after that trip? What minimum SoC did you get to on the trip (I assume 10-15%)?

Most definitely.

TeslaFi seems steady. I left on the 2nd and came back today. Charger arrival SoC is 20%. Destination SoC is 50%.

1633395029928.png

There is no 10%. The warranty is 30% , and it will be based off what the vehicle was delivered with, so you are not looking at tesla doing anything until or unless you have 70% of 310 (or 217) available. Your result currently is actually quite good, regardless of the additional 10 miles you said you lost.

I believe one of the patch notes for this version dealt with "range display better represents real world conditions" so its possible the number is different. With that being said, its important you are aware there is no "10% you are due money back" or anything of the sort, at all. its 30% and a warranty replacement, with new or refurbished part, at teslas discretion.
Where are you guys seeing these release notes? The only thing it showed me on my screen was improved immersive sound features.