Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This advice may be sound but for those of us who purchased a performance model its impractical. And Tesla should not sell a performance model that advertises 3 seconds to 60 assuming 90 percent charge and then at the same time sell me a car that will have range degradation accelerate by keeping the soc at 90. At a minimum they need to disclose this stuff up front. I did my research but never in a million years did I realize it was this complicated. You want the advertised HP? Charge to 90. You want the battery to last? Charge to 50. It's completely inconsistent and beyond comprehension of the average car buyer.
Wow. Gas cars have the same thing though:
For best performance, you should be bouncing that tachometer needle off the redline rev limiter all the time.

Now I have what is apparently a surprising revelation for you:
That is not best for the health and longevity of your engine.

Different end goals have different methods to achieve them.

My 2021 Tesla 3 LR (82kwh Panasonic battery) has 11,000KM on it now. Full charge is 567km no different then when I first bought it.

Also I did a test this summer to see if I could get the 567KM advertised. I charged the car to 90% (511KM) and drove exactly 410KM at 70-100KM/H. I got home with 120KM (21%). Was very impressed. The key is the slower speeds. I can never achieve this on the highway going 120-140KM/H. But that 70-100KM/H seems to be the sweet spot for amazing range. I also had the Rimetrix wheel covers on for the trip.

Last edited:
2021.40 software update just released. I hope I get it soon as it says specifically just for the 2021 M3 LR that the battery range has been adjusted.

2021.40 software update just released. I hope I get it soon as it says specifically just for the 2021 M3 LR that the battery range has been adjusted.

Interesting. Let us know with pictures of the energy screen. I guess you could do before and after, but we know the current situation, so before is not really necessary. I would though.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Hey, tesla community!

Give me please your advise, i have tesla model 3 long range 2020 model, april build, 34000 km already, for 100% battery shows it can drive 464 km, is it okey for all teslas with same package? In fact, it drives much lower than this shown 460 km. Last time i have driven trip, and i have spend 95% of battery in 320 km, but i tried to drive very calm, so, hope to receive any comments, is it ok?!

Attachments

• 58A37F11-5D67-4F8B-A541-9BA647C75615.png
    58A37F11-5D67-4F8B-A541-9BA647C75615.png
    314.3 KB · Views: 665
This advice may be sound but for those of us who purchased a performance model its impractical. And Tesla should not sell a performance model that advertises 3 seconds to 60 assuming 90 percent charge and then at the same time sell me a car that will have range degradation accelerate by keeping the soc at 90. At a minimum they need to disclose this stuff up front. I did my research but never in a million years did I realize it was this complicated. You want the advertised HP? Charge to 90. You want the battery to last? Charge to 50. It's completely inconsistent and beyond comprehension of the average car buyer. What a can of worms. I bought this car over an RS3 and in some ways that would have been a whole lot simpler. I love the car but the "real" Tesla experience in terms of performance and range is quite different than the one they are marketing (yes I know they don't market).
There is an agreed-upon and certified method for measuring ICE engine output from SAE. A similar standard should be developed for BEV as well. Had such a standard existed, the "691 HP*" P85D debacle certainly wouldn't have happened. Test at a specific battery pack voltage, preferably around 50%, but as long as all cars are tested to the same standard, it would be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Hey, tesla community!

Give me please your advise, i have tesla model 3 long range 2020 model, april build, 34000 km already, for 100% battery shows it can drive 464 km, is it okey for all teslas with same package? In fact, it drives much lower than this shown 460 km. Last time i have driven trip, and i have spend 95% of battery in 320 km, but i tried to drive very calm, so, hope to receive any comments, is it ok?!
2020 LR 3 with 16k miles 290 miles at 100% totally within specs

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
between 2020 and 2021 model they have 100 km range difference?
It was actually only 50km between 2020 and 2021 (US - Europe is more complicated). (The other 50km you mention is capacity loss which is completely normal and fine.)

But 568km (2021) and 518km (2020) are exactly the same energy. So there’s essentially no difference in range in certain conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
Hi, my M3 is a tad over 3 years old and has 24K. In the last year my range has really dropped off. I tried the low SOC to high SOC BMC calibration but it has only gotten worse, but that's not my main Q. I started charging ever nigh again after running it low then high over the period of a week. Every night is about 50% to 70%. Last night I set it to chart at 70% and the app said It completed with 199 miles of range. I get in the car 2 hours later and it's at 64% and ~173 miles of range. Why would the app report so differently than the reality?

It's in my garage with sentry mode off.

Hi, my M3 is a tad over 3 years old and has 24K. In the last year my range has really dropped off. I tried the low SOC to high SOC BMC calibration but it has only gotten worse, but that's not my main Q. I started charging ever nigh again after running it low then high over the period of a week. Every night is about 50% to 70%. Last night I set it to chart at 70% and the app said It completed with 199 miles of range. I get in the car 2 hours later and it's at 64% and ~173 miles of range. Why would the app report so differently than the reality?

It's in my garage with sentry mode off.
Did you leave it plugged in?

I have a 2018 VIN 150K 10/2018 Model 3 with 20k, sounds similar to you. On my last road trip, I charged on a Tesla HPWC to 100% before departing. Range displayed around 280 miles when I started the trip. I drove 305 miles, had 5% range remaining when I pulled into a v3 Supercharger. Half distance on backroads 60 - 70 mph (mile 170 on attached), the second half on interstate 70 - 80 mph.

My mobile app was showing 265 - 285 as typically "full" in the months leading up to BMS recalibration procedure, as described on numerous TMC threads. I use to typically keep the car in 100 - 250 mile range. To recalibrate, I got the battery to <5%, then did a full charge and 75 mile trip with lots of elevation change. Over the next 1-2 weeks, got the battery again to <5%. Now mobile app showing 305 miles as full.

I wouldn't be too concerned about displayed range. Don't charge ever day unless there is an actual need to. I leave my car plugged, not charging, so it can draw 1-2v, like a blanket on a horse.

Attachments

• DoveCreek_to_Edwards_Supercharger.png
    DoveCreek_to_Edwards_Supercharger.png
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I am a possible new M3 LR buyer, but all this talk about battery, range and new models keeps me from ordering atm.
If ordering atm the LR is now specified at 614 km WLTP. Is this the "new" battery and is it 88 KW or should I wait to order in 2022. maybe new battery, german factory etc..
What range does the LR (614 km WLTP) show when it its at 100%

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice/assurance. My Model 3 performance is 1 month and 2 weeks old - 1100 miles. I initially saw 311 miles at 100% rated range…

It’s been jumping around quite a bit, showing I can’t charge past 94%. I drained to 10%, full overnight charge to 100% and it’s showing 300 miles.

Looking at the energy meter, times projected range with average consumption gives me 76kwh.

Should I be concerned with 5% loss in just over a month?