Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the official answer is no but unofficially you will get a very slight drop in rated range in winter months - the cold just means that the battery always rests at slightly lower voltage which means during OVC readings a slightly lower voltage which will be read tesla doesnt compensate for as much. i think this is responsible for a lot of the yoyoing people see on teslafi etc. I dont have this as there is no winter where i live.
I'm a dumbass! I just realized what the "problem" was. I switched from the 18" Aero wheels to the 19" Sport wheels on Tuesday and updated the wheels in the UI. So it probably is just reflecting the diminished range from the wheel switch. DUH!! :D

the official answer is no but unofficially you will get a very slight drop in rated range in winter months - the cold just means that the battery always rests at slightly lower voltage which means during OVC readings a slightly lower voltage which will be read tesla doesnt compensate for as much. i think this is responsible for a lot of the yoyoing people see on teslafi etc. I dont have this as there is no winter where i live.
For me it seems like cold weather(but in garage during nights at +10C) give me a very stable Nominal full pack. If I use the same charging schedule it doesnt even change 0.1kWh.(I had 80.5kWh exery day/time for about two weeks until changing the charging level for one day due to more planned driving) Also, The NFP seem to raise, as the range also does in colder weather.
The reported range in teslafi varies between about 502-507km despite the NFP being the same. I dont know why though.

For me it seems like cold weather(but in garage during nights at +10C) give me a very stable Nominal full pack. If I use the same charging schedule it doesnt even change 0.1kWh.(I had 80.5kWh exery day/time for about two weeks until changing the charging level for one day due to more planned driving) Also, The NFP seem to raise, as the range also does in colder weather.
The reported range in teslafi varies between about 502-507km despite the NFP being the same. I dont know why though.

i think sweden doesnt get warm enough in summer to give you a proper summer/winter voltage mismatch. you are essentially in permanent winter.
I am from Germany so I get it - but your winters/summers dont compare to i.e. USA where they have like -20 in winter and then 35C in summer.
Or some places in Australia where it can be 40C in Summer and then <10C in winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAKEE
I'm a dumbass! I just realized what the "problem" was. I switched from the 18" Aero wheels to the 19" Sport wheels on Tuesday and updated the wheels in the UI. So it probably is just reflecting the diminished range from the wheel switch. DUH!! :D

this is a topic of ongoing confusion for me. i swear changing the wheels doesnt change the rated range.... anymore... it was only in 2019 where it did that and only for the 20" wheels? not sure.
It DOES change the estimated range in the range menu.

edit:
Does tire size affect the displayed range? see there

I checked with a Tesla service tech for whats a baseline for the 70%. After 10 mins of back and forth, he finally confessed that the data for battery baseline could not be provided. All he could tell me was that the battery average prior to the failure would be the baseline. But could not provide the window used for calculating the average. Go figure! I am not sure if anyone on the forum has a better insight. Surprising how many of us echo what Tesla puts out there without questioning.
Throughout the years I don't think there is an explicit baseline that is referenced by service, even before there was a degradation guarantee. Common sense clear defects (like for example capacity cut in half or less) are easy to claim, but claiming a battery is falling out of a set battery degradation curve target wasn't something Tesla covered. Same thing pretty much applies here.

If the degradation was gradual and then hit below 70% under warranty, then expect the battery you get back to be roughly at 70% plus enough capacity to stay above 70% for the remainder of the warranty (because obviously Tesla would not want to just give you a 70% battery and then have to replace it again under warranty shortly after).

If the degradation was sudden or it was a total battery failure, the same thing still applies. Tesla will give you a pack that they would expect to stay above 70% for remainder of warranty (so it'll likely be a pack of similar cycles and perhaps age to the pack it replaced). But don't expect any hard numbers or promises. The only way you would likely have a claim to a hard number above 70% is if you documented well your capacity/rated range shortly before the failure. I've seen in other threads, people complaining about noticing less rated range with replacement pack, but when asked, they didn't have evidence of the rated range of the pack before replacement, so they no basis to claim that with Tesla (thus reverting back to as long as pack is above 70% it's considered "normal" and Tesla will do nothing).

Would cold weather effect the estimated max range of my 3? I’m not talking about real world range, but what the vehicle can theoretically achieve on a full battery. The car is only three months old and I usually charge to between 80 and 90 percent at home. Max range is supposed to be 263 miles, but I pushed the slider to 100% just for kicks (to see what it would say) tonight and is says max 250 miles. Surely the battery hasn’t degraded that much in three months…

Such extrapolations cannot be trusted especially from low SOC. At very low SOC these extrapolations can literally be 100 miles off (someone posted the picture proving that here). You may indeed have some capacity loss, but I would reserve judgement for a 100% (or close) charge.
I switched from the 18" Aero wheels to the 19" Spo
I doubt it for this model, but let us know if you confirm this. We don’t actually know for this model I guess. But I doubt it.
it was only in 2019 where it did that and only for the 20" wheels? not sure.
Only 2020 Performance AFAIK. I think the EPA website (fueleconomy.gov) is a good predictor so far. If EPA tests don’t exist for the other wheel sizes, changing the wheel size won’t affect it. All three wheel sizes are listed for the Performance 2020.

Reactions: Dave EV
Maybe you should share pictures of what you are seeing, where.
Thanks J... I'll pic of where it used to be. I cannot send a pic of something that does not exist. ;)

Attachments

• tesla.PNG
    tesla.PNG
    365.8 KB · Views: 94
Anxiously awaiting the delivery of my 2022 Tesla 3. Have a super charging station approximately 2 miles from my house. We also may be selling our home within the next six months. Is it OK at least for the short term, to rely on the supercharging station as opposed to having a supercharger installed in my garage? Thanks!

Why wouldn't it be? For some, this is their only option for the long-term. Think about all those tesla owners in apartment buildings that don't have EV charging stations in the garage. They either go to supercharging stations or plug in a regular outlet n leave it charging for like a week lol

Reactions: Rocky_H
…having a supercharger installed in my garage?

This is not possible.
You can have a Level 2 charger installed in your garage, but not a supercharger :)
Level 2 would give you between 6-12kW an hour charge (plenty but not supercharger speeds: 40-250kW an hour)

You should be fine using a nearby Supercharger, also the car comes with a mobile charger which you can plugin into any standard 110/120 outlet in your garage which will add 1-2kW an hour (this is very slow, but overnight can add up)

If you have a 20-amp outlet available you can get the 5-20 adpater for the UMC and increase charging by about 25%. If you need more, and if you have a DEDICATED 15- or 20-amp outlet (nothing else on that circuit), it is fairly easy and inexpensive to convert it to 240V outlet, which doubles the charge rate. All you need to do is swap out the outlet (use a 6-15 if you have a 5-15 outlet, or a 6-20 if you have a 5-20 outlet) and change the breaker from a single pole to a dual pole breaker of the same amperage; this has to be a GFIC breaker. You of course need to have room in the breaker box since you will need two slots side by side. You then put a piece of red tape on the white wire (to signify it as a load wire) and connect the black and red/white wires to the breaker, do the same thing at the outlet. Then you just need to get either the 6-15 or 6-20 adapter for your UMC. Hire an electrican if you are at all uncomfortable with this, this should not be expensive.

Don’t cheap out on the outlets, you will be pulling load for a long time and you need quality outlets - and breaker.

But again, make very sure nothing else is on the circuit!

New Tesla owner here. I noticed that the slider on the app indicates how many miles on a percentage charge. When I slide to increase charge percentage it keeps changing the mileage at that percentage. For example 75% shows 204 miles. Then drops 203/202 within a few minutes. As an FYI my max charge is only 272 miles. A bit of background. Weather is warm in Texas. Today was 90F. I haven't really take her on any road trips and just charge to 50-60% for daily use. Supercharged a couple of times for a roundtrip of about 300 miles. Car has 75K miles on it.

Any insight would be grateful as well as how I can get some max range back.

Thanks!

New Tesla owner here. I noticed that the slider on the app indicates how many miles on a percentage charge. When I slide to increase charge percentage it keeps changing the mileage at that percentage. For example 75% shows 204 miles. Then drops 203/202 within a few minutes. As an FYI my max charge is only 272 miles. A bit of background. Weather is warm in Texas. Today was 90F. I haven't really take her on any road trips and just charge to 50-60% for daily use. Supercharged a couple of times for a roundtrip of about 300 miles. Car has 75K miles on it.

Any insight would be grateful as well as how I can get some max range back.

Thanks!

You can try what is in the first post in the following thread:

However, 272 at 100% on a car with 75k miles is quite an acceptable result, so you should not assume there is anything to "get back".

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H