Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize we are supposed to do that. Was it in the manual or in Tesla's response to this battery issue? I have only charged to 100% a few times in the 2 years I owned the car. I typically charge to 90%. It would be good to know if I am supposed to charge it to 100% weekly.
The LFP, lithium-ferrous-phospate, batteries are MIC, Made-in-China.

I didn't realize we are supposed to do that. Was it in the manual or in Tesla's response to this battery issue? I have only charged to 100% a few times in the 2 years I owned the car. I typically charge to 90%. It would be good to know if I am supposed to charge it to 100% weekly.
You car doesn't have an LFP battery, only the SR+ made in China do.
Those instructions are only for cars with a LFP battery.

I tho ugh my post was pretty clear!

Reactions: PhantomX
Is this optimal for my use case? M3P sits in the garage during the week as I only use it on the weekend. I leave it plugged in and have it scheduled to charge every evening up to 60%. On Friday night and Saturday night I’ll charge it to 80% or 90% so I can use it for the weekend.

Is this optimal for my use case? M3P sits in the garage during the week as I only use it on the weekend. I leave it plugged in and have it scheduled to charge every evening up to 60%. On Friday night and Saturday night I’ll charge it to 80% or 90% so I can use it for the weekend.

Sure, nothing wrong with that.

Oh man - there is a TON on here about that. Search the forums and be prepared. The simplest answer is to do what Tesla says - only charge to 90% unless you are planning a trip. And plug in every night. Use Superchargers when you have to but not all the time. But - you can find one million other opinions on here and elsewhere on the internet. At some point you have to figure out how much (potential) incremental improvements are worth to you.

What is the best way to charge a Tesla model 3 to get the most battery life? Charge it when almost full? Run it down to a little charge? Super charging or home charging? Thanks
Avoid extremes as much as possible. That means avoid high and low SOC, though low SOC may be better than high SOC. Avoid fast DC charging as much as possible, and avoid fast discharging as much as possible. Discharging means flooring it. Since it's impossible to avoid these extremes, just avoiding them as much as possible is the best you can do to maintain battery life. Even so, expect some deg just from time passing, but you may be able to delay it for a while.

Hey fellow Tesla Drivers. I wanted to get your insight in charging habits. I been doing some research and there are a lot of different opinions when it comes to charging. So I get free charging at work with a Tesla plug, I work 5 or 6 days a week. I'm trying to figure it out if I should charge everyday to 80% (My daily commute is about 20%, so it would be 60%-80% daily)? or should I skip charging until the battery hits 20% and do a full cycle up to 80%?

In the manual says that "The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN", I'm trying to prolong the battery longevity as much as I can and comparing different opinions in the subject...

I appreciate in advance your help in this topic :)

Hey fellow Tesla Drivers. I wanted to get your insight in charging habits. I been doing some research and there are a lot of different opinions when it comes to charging. So I get free charging at work with a Tesla plug, I work 5 or 6 days a week. I'm trying to figure it out if I should charge everyday to 80% (My daily commute is about 20%, so it would be 60%-80% daily)? or should I skip charging until the battery hits 20% and do a full cycle up to 80%?

In the manual says that "The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN", I'm trying to prolong the battery longevity as much as I can and comparing different opinions in the subject...

I appreciate in advance your help in this topic :)
Shallow charging is preferred to deep discharges for longevity. 80/60 is fine.

What is the best way to charge a Tesla model 3 to get the most battery life? Charge it when almost full? Run it down to a little charge? Super charging or home charging? Thanks

if you live somewhere warm charge to 80%-85% everytime you get home (texas, australia, Spanish summer etc). If you live somewhere cold (i.e. germany, uk, france etc) just charge to 90% every day. Tbh the evidence that letting it sit at 90% in hot climate is actually quite poor anyway. Dont deep cycle if you can avoid it.

Ever since I've purchased my 2019 LR AWD, I've charged it using the Tesla Wall Connector in my garage.

When charging, it says it's doing so at 48 amps. I'm never in a rush to charge. Should I set the charger to something lower than 48 amps? Would this help with battery longevity?

For reference, I keep the battery between 30% - 80%, maybe charged it to 100% three times before a long trip, and supercharged it no more than five times. My 100% range has already gone down to 290-ish miles with under 15k on the odometer.

The car was designed to handle 250KW charging, the wall connector is charging at 11KW which is trivial compared to 250. Don't worry about it. The one thing you can do to increase your battery life is to set the charge limit to 80% except when you are planning a long trip.
There is no statistical evidence that stopping at 80% will have any positive effect on battery degradation. This is a relic of the very first Nissan Leaf models that had an 80% charging point for daily driving. Every Tesla vehicle has their daily driving charging point set to 90% by default.

What’s the longest you’ve driven on a full charge at Highway speed? LR 3 is rated at 310 miles, but ABRP says I’m going to be going from 90% to 13% over a 176 mile leg of my trip. That puts real range more like 230 miles
But why does it matter? If you drive a 176 mile leg, a normal person would stop for a bathroom break, and coffee, anyway. ABRP isn't optimizing for longest legs between charges, but for fastest trip times. We know that fastest trips times happen when you drive fast, and charge at low SOCs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H