Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at 325 (9000miles and 5 months) then Went slowly from 325 down to 307 miles over 1 month and 2000 miles. Now with the latest update, I’m up from 307 to 317 within 2 days and 200 miles. Go figure. And who knows I can wake next week with being back to 325. Of note NC has been unusually warm this past couple of days so who knows, could be the temperature

I bought my M3 LR AWD car in June 2019 and just hit 20,000 miles. I had no more than 310 miles from the start, but have had a 6.5% reduction - my current full is 290 miles.

I have charged to 100% only 7 times, to 80% and 90% about 88% of the time and under 80% the remaining 11% out of 600 charge cycles.

It seems to be a bigger reduction than others have seen. I do live in N. Illnois and the temps the last few months have been cold (<30-40F), so I wonder once it warms back up if the range will also increase. I had a big drop around 10,000 miles and haven't been able to figure out why.

upload_2019-12-30_14-33-43.png

as others have mentioned, I saw a drastic change as soon as the new update was installed. Its a brand new car so its not degradation. Im guessing its a calculation thing, and I havent discharged my car lower than 31% yet and charge to 80 (tried 90 to see if it would help calculation but it didnt seems to) im not sure if my car will figure out the full capacity till I actually utilize more of my battery.
Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 6.46.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 6.48.10 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hi, I have a LR RWD built in 07/2018, and my 100% charge capacity is down to 295 miles. 27k miles on the odo, always charge to 80%. When I got it, it was rated at 310, and I don't think I ever saw more than 307, but that's fine. One thing though, is the update that was supposed to increase it to 325 never did anything. That is, I was never able to get more than 307. Is that normal? Still love the car, but 10% degradation seems high.

Hi, I have a LR RWD built in 07/2018, and my 100% charge capacity is down to 295 miles. 27k miles on the odo, always charge to 80%. When I got it, it was rated at 310, and I don't think I ever saw more than 307, but that's fine. One thing though, is the update that was supposed to increase it to 325 never did anything. That is, I was never able to get more than 307. Is that normal? Still love the car, but 10% degradation seems high.

What range were you at before the 325 update? And do you have tracking data to show the result of that update?

As far as I can tell (though hard to know), Tesla just unlocked invisible capacity (reduced the buffer size) with that update, since the constant apparently did not change. However, we’d need someone who really has knowledge of exactly what happened chime in.

What range were you at before the 325 update? And do you have tracking data to show the result of that update?

As far as I can tell (though hard to know), Tesla just unlocked invisible capacity (reduced the buffer size) with that update, since the constant apparently did not change. However, we’d need someone who really has knowledge of exactly what happened chime in.
Regrettably I have never really tracked it, but I do recall that my "80%" charge always used to be 242 miles, so about 303 for 100% if you extrapolate it. Now that the iPhone app shows mileage on the charging slider, I can just drag it all the way over and see what it says real quick.

I did go to the supercharger after the "325" update but it kinda stopped at about 307 miles and 5 minutes remaining on the screen... for about 30 minutes. Maybe it was balancing? But I do know I've never seen it above 310 which has me a little concerned, but I think I read that not all RWD's got the 310 boost?

I guess I did not get the boost. Bought p3d- in August. Only had charged to 100 percent once in the first few weeks but it was at 310. About a month ago I charged to 100 percent and it showed 295. Today went on a trip, albeit colder, and it showed 286 miles. 7.8 percent loss in a few months? Yikes. Anywgo this thread is crazy long, but for anyone still reading, is this normal? And how do we know if we got the range increase to 325? (again I assume I did not...but should I have?)

I guess I did not get the boost. Bought p3d- in August. Only had charged to 100 percent once in the first few weeks but it was at 310. About a month ago I charged to 100 percent and it showed 295. Today went on a trip, albeit colder, and it showed 286 miles. 7.8 percent loss in a few months? Yikes. Anywgo this thread is crazy long, but for anyone still reading, is this normal? And how do we know if we got the range increase to 325? (again I assume I did not...but should I have?)

I'm not aware of any range increase for the P3D, or P3D-, cars.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm that? I have always heard that range is EPA efficiency * raw BMS data and doesn't take environment or driving history into account.

The rated miles is available energy divided by the charging constant for your vehicle. When it is very cold or even just chilly there is less energy available and that will be reflected in the car’s BMS system’s understanding of kWh remaining. So your available miles will be reduced when the battery is cold. These miles will return as the battery warms up.

That gauge is a reflection of energy available and that is it. It is not affected by ambient temperature (available energy is affected by the battery temp - which may be related of course!) or driving habits, since these things have no direct bearing on energy available.

Can someone confirm that? I have always heard that range is EPA efficiency * raw BMS data and doesn't take environment or driving history into account.
Here's my data from the last 12 months, winter to winter. The Rated Range data, in blue, is from Stats, and the Temp, in red, I had to add manually. I overlaid moving average lines, and you can see there's a bit of correlation. If you look at individual dots, you can actually see the coldest days, seem to match the biggest range drops. Not always, but often enough that it seems to be real.
TempVRRange.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: leeeeee
At least for 2020 vehicles running 2019.40.50.1, changes are afoot in the underlying vehicle constant. My feeling is that this is in preparation for a future update that will bring the displayed ranges for a new battery in line with the EPA sticker numbers. But only halfway there so far.

Here is the data and the post above this one has the supporting evidence:

Model 3 Performance - charged to 100% shows 293 miles range. Why?

People worrying about their range should always check their constant first as outlined. Though at the moment it appears to be only reported for 2020 vehicles.

This change appears to have INCREASED range for the 2020 vehicles by unlocking about an additional 1.7kWh of usable capacity from the battery. (The 100% range number has been reduced when selecting 19” or 20” wheels but the true range is likely higher unless kWh definition has changed).

Separately, the constant used is now dependent on wheel selection, so selecting different wheels on 2020 Dual Motors seems to change the displayed range. (It has never behaved this way before, though the wheel selection DID affect the Energy Trip estimates and projections.). So now all is consistent. If you select 18” wheels it appears that 100% range will exceed 310 rated miles (about 314).

• Informative
Reactions: Pluglife and MarcG
At least for 2020 vehicles running 2019.40.50.1, changes are afoot in the underlying vehicle constant. My feeling is that this is in preparation for a future update that will bring the displayed ranges for a new battery in line with the EPA sticker numbers. But only halfway there so far.

Here is the data and the post above this one has the supporting evidence:

Model 3 Performance - charged to 100% shows 293 miles range. Why?

People worrying about their range should always check their constant first as outlined. Though at the moment it appears to be only reported for 2020 vehicles.

This change appears to have INCREASED range for the 2020 vehicles by unlocking about an additional 1.7kWh of usable capacity from the battery. (The 100% range number has been reduced when selecting 19” or 20” wheels but the true range is likely higher unless kWh definition has changed).

Separately, the constant used is now dependent on wheel selection, so selecting different wheels on 2020 Dual Motors seems to change the displayed range. (It has never behaved this way before, though the wheel selection DID affect the Energy Trip estimates and projections.). So now all is consistent. If you select 18” wheels it appears that 100% range will exceed 310 rated miles (about 314).

Hmm, I have a 2020 stealth with 19s. Before the update I had 310 and now it's 299 ish. Are you basically saying that now the estimated range is taking the tires into account since they are less efficient?