Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AWD LR here, i use supercharge every time but i only charge 2 or 3 times a month. I used to have 279 for 90% charge. It has dropped to 270 and now 268 for 90%. Even though I don't get 279 for 90%, i have correct mile for other percentages. For example, 186 miles for 60%, 124 miles for 40%, etc.....

That is interesting! Mine are consistently lower at all percentages.

My LR AWD is in the same situation as others. Charge levels are way down, but additionally I'm observing that the first few miles (just 1 or 2) of driving after a charge eat up a significant amount of range, like 10 miles off the bat, so effectively the charge is even lower than my already poor numbers at 80% and 90%. I'm in Socal, it's not that cold!

My LR AWD is in the same situation as others. Charge levels are way down, but additionally I'm observing that the first few miles (just 1 or 2) of driving after a charge eat up a significant amount of range, like 10 miles off the bat, so effectively the charge is even lower than my already poor numbers at 80% and 90%. I'm in Socal, it's not that cold!

I noticed the exact same thing. I'll pull out of my garage and gently drive down the street - with no AC or heat - and the Wh/mi number will start out really high, like 400+. It gradually decreases over a couple miles.

Just today I charged to 80% at a Supercharger and got to 230mi. That extrapolates to 287.5 @ 100%. I have 11,500 miles on my car (LR AWD) and it's exactly a year old.

• Love
Reactions: jasdelta
I noticed the exact same thing. I'll pull out of my garage and gently drive down the street - with no AC or heat - and the Wh/mi number will start out really high, like 400+. It gradually decreases over a couple miles.

Just today I charged to 80% at a Supercharger and got to 230mi. That extrapolates to 287.5 @ 100%. I have 11,500 miles on my car (LR AWD) and it's exactly a year old.

interesting, I am at a little over 1 year old, 16K miles, I get about 245 at 80% 265 at 90% and 292-95 at 100%

I posted this in another thread but its relevant here too. As a way to mitigate range anxiety I use percentage for my charge display. I have my car set to "fill" to 80% each night. Most mornings when I get into the car it is at 81-83 percent. If you are charging to any percentage other than 100% your mileage number may be representing a percentage other than what you think it is. I suggest that when assessing battery you always refer back to the battery percent meter to keep things consistent.

I have the exact same issue. Even with HVAC off it quotes insane usage when all I do is sub 5 mph moving with a tiny amount of throttle. Very odd, but indeed it further decreases the real life range...

34A25CB4-E075-4B0E-AF95-36A5E0E6993E.jpeg
I saw my range plummet overnight when I did my SR+ to SR downgrade. After 15k miles, I was still getting 239 miles at 100%, and it went down to 208 the day I got the downgrade. I’ve highlighted the date of the downgrade and the date of the previous OTA upgrade per TeslaFi.

A month later, I’m showing 207 at 100%, and lucky if I get 200 miles, even with a lifetime average of 221Wh/mi (which is often under 200).

Something’s up.

With a 100% charge of 207 rated miles that would give you best case of 196 miles per charge. This stuff is easy to calculate. 221Wh/mi is not that great for the SR from what I hear. Though obviously fine if you are doing any freeway driving or using HVAC.

Here’s what I’ve gotten so far today beginning at 90%. I’m well below the constant, and if you extrapolate out 130 miles of range using 70%, I’m at 185 miles from 100%. Low HVAC usage, and zero hills (I’m in Miami).
3A14270E-3429-46AB-B575-69BDE5540C9C.jpeg

Here’s what I’ve gotten so far today beginning at 90%. I’m well below the constant, and if you extrapolate out 130 miles of range using 70%, I’m at 185 miles from 100%. Low HVAC usage, and zero hills (I’m in Miami). View attachment 471578

This data does not compute. 70% of 207 is 145 rated miles. You have done 131 at the constant (209Wh/rmi - that is the constant, not 219, not 224), so looks like you have lost ~14 miles for other features (sentry, overheat, etc) or you no longer have 207 miles at 100%.

You would have to specify exact usage to say for sure. But seems pretty normal.

Last edited:
I haven’t left the car (or even put it into park) since taking that photo, and here are my most recent numbers. I’ve traveled exactly 30 miles, which has allowed me to use the average consumption over 30 miles to get my numbers. I’ve consumed 189k (.904% of the .209 constant) and used 14% of my battery in order to do so. If you multiply by 1.1 to get back to the constant, I’ve used 15% of battery at the constant in order to travel exactly 30 miles. There’s still a ~10 inefficiency there somewhere that didn’t exist until the day I was downgraded from SR+ to SR (per the TeslaFi battery screenshot above)

So here’s the better question...

Is there anyone that has upgraded to V10 that still has the range displayed the same as what it was when the car was new?

My LR RWD was 292mi at 90% every single charge, including the charge when V10 was installed. As soon as I received 2019.32.12.1, my 90% dropped to 289mi. After 2019.32.12.2, I’m now at 287mi, and these updates were received within days of each other.

Clearly, I didn’t lose capacity overnight in either instance, so unless they are capping something it’s a software bug. I did attempt dropping it to 100 miles of range remaining and charging/leaving plugged in to balance the battery, still at 287mi right now after 14 hours of being plugged in.
My still the same 293@ 90% or 292

26,000 miles on my long range rwd and I've never changed up to a full battery before. I keep it always in between the recommended levels. I'm supposed to have 325 miles new and today I changed fully for the first time. 287 miles! That seems pretty drastic drop in battery life. Is there anything I can do? Should I contact Tesla? Would they even answer my call? My service experience has been rather lacking.

You should charge to 90% once in a while, it will prevent the car's computer from having range skew. Without it, it doesn't know where the "top" of the battery is anymore, so calculations are going to be off.

In the event you have been charging to 90% once in a while, then all Tesla will tell you to do is to discharge and charge it a few times to try to correct.

Your battery has a 8 year 70% capacity warranty. Until you have lost 30%, they won't do much.